All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Quick, vegetarian recipes??
      #275194 - 07/21/06 09:52 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

My husband and I both work long days (we're both gone 10-11 hours each day) and that leaves very little time - and energy - for cooking dinner. Any suggestions for quick, vegetarian meals that are also IBS safe?? I have spent some time browsing the Recipe Index, but am having difficulty find things that are both quick AND vegetarian! And by "quick", I mean 30 minutes, tops.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Quick, vegetarian recipes?? new
      #275414 - 07/24/06 08:44 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

You can try cooking ahead. If you make a pot of spaghetti sauce or chili (just leave out the meat and add more mushrooms for spaghetti sauce and more beans for chili) over the weekend, you can eat that a couple of times during the week - just heat it up, cook pasta, serve with bread.

You can also try this.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#275430 - 07/24/06 10:16 AM
Lisa Marie

I LOVE Italian food (I'm half Italian), and so giving up some yummy (cheesy!) Italian dishes has been difficult. Are marinara sauces safe, since tomatoes can be a trigger? I always used to make home-made spaghetti sauce from a 28 oz container of crushed tomatoes, and some garlic sauteed in oil. Is this safe, or would it be better to purchase a plain marinara sauce in a jar that doesn't have any tomato "chunks" in it?? Is there something else in spaghetti sauce that can be a trigger aside from the tomatoes themselves?

--Lisa

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#275437 - 07/24/06 11:19 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Tomatoes are not a true trigger that must be eliminated completely, like red meat, dark meat poultry and skin, egg yolks, and dairy. Rather, tomatoes are Insoluble Fiber which means they can be eaten as long as you do so carefully. Removing the peel and seeds helps and cooked should be easier than raw. In addition, they are acidic which can be a problem for some people. You'll simply have to try a little and see how you do. Remember that if you can't tolerate them now, you may be able to a few months down the road. I could eat tomato sauce - even with tomato chunks - from the beginning (although it took me longer to attempt raw tomatoes). I hope you will be able to, also.

Your recipe for sauce sounds safe to me, depending on how much oil you use. You'll have to do the math as far as how many calories the sauce gets from fat. Remember to include the calories from the pasta when calculating the level for the meal. You want to end up with no more than 25% of calories from fat for the whole meal.

The homemade sauces you'll find on the Recipe Board should be safe. For jar sauces, you have to check for the usual tiresome list of suspects: red meat, dairy, MSG. I know that Ragu 7-Herb Tomato sauce is safe - I eat it all the time. Although it gets 33% of its calories from fat, once you combine it with a serving of pasta, the overall calories from fat in the meal drops to a level that is more than safe.

As for cheesy Italian food, you can try soy cheeses. Most of them have casein. This is a dairy derivative but may be okay in reasonably sized portions. These cheeses are still high in fat, so watch that, too. I consider soy cheese to be advanced Eating For IBS, best attempted only after you're fairly stable. It took me a long time to get here, but I can now eat a pepperoni pizza made with turkey pepperoni and a little soy cheese.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#275492 - 07/24/06 04:28 PM
Lisa Marie

What a great answer, Sand! Thanks! I guess "trigger" was a poor choice of words on my part. I will keep all that in mind.

Anyone else have any yummy QUICK vegetarian meals??

--Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

#275505 - 07/24/06 06:07 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Have you tried Baked Potato Soup? It does have chicken broth, but you can sub vegetable broth instead. To be honest, I never actually bake the potatoes -- I peel and boil them instead, save most of the potato water, and use only 2 cups chicken broth and no milk. I also used canned potatoes when I was craving the soup and didn't have any fresh in the house. It wasn't quite as good, but still very decent.

Also, can you tolerate beans? I frequently make doctored canned baked beans using this recipe as a base. What I do is dump the baked beans in a saucepan or bowl, add the last four ingredients, and heat on the stove/microwave until warm. I skip the bacon/onion because I'm lazy and usually don't have bacon in the house. We usually just have it with cornbread.

Have you ever tried cooking with TVP? It makes a great substitute for ground beef/turkey in most dishes (something with more seasoning or where it's kinda "hidden", like a casserole -- I wouldn't make a TVP meatloaf or anything). I do have to admit that I've found it's only good on the first day -- the microwaved leftovers kinda taste gritty and cardboard-y the next time. Also, it's cheap. I don't remember how long it took, but Heather's sloppy joes recipe specifically calls for TVP and it's fabulous. (She had lots of celery in the recipe and I left it out, so if you choose to do so as well, not chopping all that celery will save time.)

Also, you can try just omitting the meat in some recipes, or subbing with TVP/tofu. For example, I've often made Teriyaki Chicken without the chicken, just for economy's sake. I just make the sauce and mix it with white rice. Which, okay, basically has very little nutrients, so you probably want to make sure you're eating it with a side of a super-healthy veggie.

Good luck.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

another solution might be.. new
      #275556 - 07/25/06 06:19 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

a crockpot- I use it a lot for things like pasta sauce and soups- leave it on while I'm at work, so I can have dinner as soon as I get home.. I'll post some other things later, but a lot of the recipes here work well with TVP as well

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#275621 - 07/25/06 12:34 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

There's some nice pre-packaged mixes out there. I've had good luck with Fantastic Foods' falafel mix (baked) and their soy sloppy joes.

--AC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 124 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2706

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review