All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Odd question about cooking pasta
      #272021 - 07/01/06 02:02 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Let's say I want to have spaghetti for dinner tonight and a pasta salad for lunch tomorrow. Could I cook the pasta for the pasta salad in a pot of boiling water, scoop it out when it's done, and then cook the spaghetti in the same pot of boiling water?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Odd question about cooking pasta new
      #272026 - 07/01/06 04:26 PM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Hi, I don't see why not, unless the water is starchy. But I would let the water reboil first. Unless you can cook both together then try and just pick out the spaghetti. Never mind that might not be too easy to do! Sue

#272044 - 07/01/06 05:26 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't see why not - just make sure you have enough water left. Any time I've had to do pasta twice, I've ended up starting over with fresh water just because there was barely a half pot of water left by the time I was done with the first.

Thanks again everyone. (m) new
      #272271 - 07/03/06 07:52 AM
Sand

You guys really do have all the answers. Maybe we should play "Stump the Recipe Board".

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#272470 - 07/04/06 05:31 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

If you use a very large pot to start with you can, otherwise the water will be too starchy and the next pasta will be sticky and not nice. But a very large pot is recommended at any rate, even though people usually do not use one.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Thanks, LM. -nt- new
      #272520 - 07/05/06 07:23 AM
Sand

--------------------

LM, random aside for you ... new
      #272523 - 07/05/06 07:42 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Haha didn't want to waste a whole thread with this nonsense but I thought of you when I did something last week, because I think you did something similar once, if I remember correctly. I saw a tremendously bad type-o on foxnews.com and wrote them the meanest letter ...

Quote:

Dear Foxnews.com,

Who does your proofreading? When I first read the headline, "School's Get Failing Grades on Junk Food Report Cards," I thought the writer must have intended irony. To my surprise, the article was not satirical. Since when is an apostrophe necessary to create the plural of "school?"

I got a nice laugh out of the ironic placement of such an error within a headline dealing directly with a school's report card. I suggest, however, that you spend a little more time in the editing room. I'm embarrassed for you.

Sincerely,

Amanda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Amanda Panda - use of the apostrophe new
      #272720 - 07/05/06 09:48 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

If you're a stickler for correct spelling... you would probably enjoy reading Eats Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss - it's a hoot.

Leigh

Edited by Gr8ful (07/05/06 09:49 PM)

BRILLIANT PANDA ! new
      #272724 - 07/06/06 02:47 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I LOVE your letter. I am really anal about that kind of thing too. It's very important as a lawyer to be that way. You should see some of the brochures and terms and conditions that come my way.

Eats Shoots and Leaves is good to start with but is even too anal for me when talking about some things, like the dashes etc, I like dashes and was never taught how to use them.

My brother is a journalist and his punctuation is appalling. Anytime he sends me an article to proof (often one that he has already submitted) I can't stop myself sending him back my corrections. Drives me crazy!

I do over-use exclamation marks though, I know that I do in emails and posts, and Lynne Truss would not approve.

She did teach me about "two weeks' notice" which has proved very useful in legal contracts.

I would prefer that people don't punctuate at all rather than add in superfluous apostrophes.

And don't even get me started on text language, I cannot understand emails that my younger sisters send me, I have to decipher before I can reply! (superfluous exclamation mark alert)

--------------------
S.

Sinead and Leigh new
      #272820 - 07/06/06 04:03 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I was already a nutcase, and Lynn Truss made me worse! I adore that book. I would read it to myself on the train and find myself yelling YES! YES! YES! I'm sure people thought I was reading a dirty romance novel.

There's a pizza place in my neighborhood with a sign that reads "Hot Hero's Hamburgers, Gyros." Every time I walk by, I wonder who the hot hero could be, and if he minds that people are trying to sell his hamburgers.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 291 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7719

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review