All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
question!! 30-min chili recipe - reply asap if possible please :)
      #268340 - 06/08/06 02:58 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

For some odd, annoying reason ground turkey comes in packages of 1.25lbs (1 1/4lbs), and the 30min chili recipe found in the IBS recipe exchange index (http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=recipe&Number=23491&page=4&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1) calls for 1 1/2lbs.

I plan on halving the recipe to using 3/4lb of turkey. Right now, I don't have the money, the time, or the transportation to buy additional ingredients for another recipe for the remaining turkey. My question is, if I halve the recipe will using a package of 1 1/4 lbs of turkey be too overwhelming? Any ideas?? It will be a waste if I make an entire batch of chili. Help please! I need to be ready to run to the store in the next half hour, lol. Thank you a bunch!

For those who haven't tried this recipe - it's awesome. In the past though I never had a problem with making a full batch, but I do now.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question!! 30-min chili recipe - reply asap if possible please :) new
      #268346 - 06/08/06 03:38 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

use 1/2 the package and freeze the other 1/2

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Edited by Shell Marr (06/08/06 03:40 PM)

#268381 - 06/08/06 05:59 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

I thought freezing, thawing, then refreezing raw meat was a big no-no?

Thanks as always, Shell, you sure have been answering me quickly, and I appreciate it.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

#268422 - 06/08/06 09:59 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I suppose it is technically, but I've refrozen meat oodles of times with no problems... especially since, up here anyway, pretty much all meat is frozen and thawed at the grocery store, so if you freeze it at home, you're already re-freezing thawed meat once. What's another time gonna do?

Ok, so I'm being a little silly, but seriously? It should be fine. Just be sure to cook the remaining meat thoroughly once you do use it.

refreezing thawed meat new
      #268468 - 06/09/06 07:58 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Actually, it's okay to refreeze thawed meat IF it's been thawed in a refrigerator (i.e. never gotten to room temperature). You should always thaw meat out in the fridge anyway, unless you plan on using it immediately, in which case it's OK to thaw it in the microwave by using the defrost or low-power setting.

I'm sure that this is one of those things where you won't necessarily get sick, even if you don't follow the food safety guidelines ... but, I HAVE gotten sick before, so I make sure to follow the rules and to yell at my husband if he leaves something on the counter to thaw.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: refreezing thawed meat new
      #268469 - 06/09/06 08:00 AM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

That is good to know!

When my father owned his diner (more on thawing) new
      #268580 - 06/09/06 07:44 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...the county board of health people, of course, came in and did regular inspections, and from THEM, he learned that the best fast way to thaw meat is in a sinkful of cold water. It has to be *cold*. It's safe - whereas thawing on the counter isn't - and it's much faster than the fridge. No idea why, but it is!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 718 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3202

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review