All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Tropical Chicken Salad
      #266741 - 05/31/06 02:39 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

from Quick Cooking magazine

This is another one that I haven't tried, but it sounds delicious and a little different. Depending on your tolerances, you might want to omit the coconut or nuts, but I leave that up to you to decide. Serve with good bakery bread, or stir in some cooked small pasta and make it a pasta salad.

2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup fat-free mayonnaise
1/2 to 1 tsp curry powder
1 can (20 oz) chunk pineapple, drained
2 large firm bananas, sliced
1 can (11 oz) mandarin orange segments, drained
1/4 cup flaked coconut
Salad greens, optional
1/4 cup salted peanuts or cashew halves

Place chicken and celery in a large bowl. Combine mayo and curry powder, add to chicken mixture and mix well. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes. Before serving, add the pineapple, bananas, oranges, and coconut, toss gently. Serve on salad greens if desired, sprinkled with nuts. Serves 4-6.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tropical Chicken Salad new
      #266770 - 05/31/06 03:55 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Oh, this sounds soooo good Casey!! Great for summer time!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Shell new
      #266779 - 05/31/06 04:06 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

It's good to see ya!

--------------------
Janey

Re: Shell new
      #266780 - 05/31/06 04:09 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

thanks... kinda been busy...

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Tropical Chicken Salad new
      #266801 - 05/31/06 05:36 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Yummy! Casey I am going to gain a ton of weight this summer with all of these recipes. Especially since I am now at the I can devour anything stage!!! It's nice to see your face and your lovely recipes!

Yum! new
      #276836 - 08/03/06 07:16 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I made this yesterday and it's quite good. I used the coconut and the nuts - just mixed the nuts in with the salad - but skipped the lettuce leaves. (It was too hot to worry about presentation.)

I made half by itself and half mixed with shell pasta and we liked the half with the pasta better - it cuts the sweetness a little. Next time I'll try elbow macaroni - they'll be a better size.

Dole Mandarin orange segments are packed in a syrup made with sugar, not HFCS.

I think this is best icy cold, so be sure to chill it for at least a half hour again after adding the fruit.

Thanks, Casey. Your summer recipes have been life savers during the heat wave. I currently have leftovers of this and of your pasta-tomato salad in the fridge, along with leftovers of RachelT's chicken-grape-pasta salad. And I'm going to make HanSolo's Asian rice salad again over the weekend. I can do the hot part - cooking the chicken and/or rice and/or pasta - in the evenings after dinner, then just put it all together for lunch and dinner the next day.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Glad you enjoyed! new
      #276944 - 08/03/06 12:15 PM
atomic rose

I still haven't tried this one! I think I'm going to make this over the weekend, and take your suggestion and add some elbow macaroni.

I get 3 Diamonds brand mandarin oranges, packed in juice - no HFCS there, either.

I'm glad the salad recipes have been working out for you. I grew up eating cold salads most of the summer - same thing, my mother would cook the ingredients at night or first thing in the morning, when being in the kitchen was at least somewhat bearable. We had 2 standbys that still work well - macaroni salad with peas and tuna, and chicken salad with apples, pineapple, celery, and raisins - but variety is a good thing. I should dig around and see if I have more to post!

Rachel's chicken-grape-pasta salad is my all-time favorite, I think, at least so far. Good stuff!

The chicken salad with apples, pineapple, celery, and raisins sounds yummy. (m) new
      #277381 - 08/06/06 02:47 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I searched, but couldn't find it. Is it on the Boards?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Nope! Just something my mom always made up... new
      #277390 - 08/06/06 05:56 PM
atomic rose

Mom hardly ever works from a recipe when she makes salads. Start with chicken breast, add as much of the other stuff as you want, finish with salt, pepper, and enough ff mayo to make it as moist as you like it. That's really about it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 427 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5265

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review