All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Safe 'English pancakes' - can't get consistency right...
      #260273 - 04/26/06 05:14 PM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Just wondering if I'm missing some basic baking logic here... I've always adored pancakes, and a few weeks ago I changed the basic recipe as:
1 egg (replaced with 2 egg whites)
Milk (replaced with soya milk), and
Plain flour.

So, the original recipe says you put the flour in the bowl, add the egg and start to mix, slowly adding the milk til you get the consistency of cream. Thing is, though the pancakes themselves are scrummy (actually better than traditional recipe as they don't make me all full and bloated, and taste lighter! ), they've always got lumps of flour in, which spoil it a bit.

I've tried changing the order of mixing - I've tried adding the egg AND the milk before stirring, and adding the flour slowly to the milk instead and then the egg, but each way ends up with the same result! Is it just because the egg whites and soy milk don't behave in the same way as the normal ingredients? Or am I being dumb??

Help please lovely people!

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Safe 'English pancakes' - can't get consistency right... new
      #260278 - 04/26/06 05:28 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like the technique needs a little tweaking. A whole egg does have a different consistency from just egg whites, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference, I'm thinking.

I'm not sure what you're using for the mixing, but have you tried a whisk? I'm always mixing things with a fork or spoon, and then I realize it's just not working as well as a whisk will.

Also, try sifting the flour, and then adding it a bit at a time... sifting would get lumps that already in the flour out.

That's all I can think of, really.

Do you have a blender??? new
      #260323 - 04/27/06 03:29 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

Ive done that too....I substitutes exactly what you said...and they tasted soooooo good...but I always use a food mixer/blender....so much quicker and easier and never fails to get rid of lumps etc....if you dont have one theyre the best investment ever!

--------------------
Natalie

Re: Do you have a blender??? new
      #260419 - 04/27/06 12:47 PM
susieannah

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: sussex, england

I dont know if you already do this as I dont make pancakes but when I make a white sauce I always add only a little milk to the flour at a time to stop lumps so I'd say add a tiny bit of egg white at a time until the flour starts to resemble a paste then add a litlle more till you start to get a more fluid batter whithout lumps, hope that helps x

Re: Safe 'English pancakes' - can't get consistency right... new
      #260546 - 04/28/06 11:34 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Thanks all - will be trying all suggestions and will post up my results!

Thanks again!

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 740 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2228

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review