All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
My cookies are a mess! new
      #260936 - 05/02/06 06:10 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I went to pack a few into my lunch bag this morning and they are all very very very soft and mushy and are all sticking together. I'm going to have to throw them away. I really liked the flavor of these and would like to try them again, but I don't know what went wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hmm... new
      #260954 - 05/02/06 07:14 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

when I made these, I don't think I iced them. That could be part of it.I also stored mine between layers of wax paper, and didn't keep them tightly sealed. Mine were pretty soft, but not uneatable.

--------------------

Re: Hmm... new
      #260956 - 05/02/06 07:18 AM
MCV

I didn't ice mine either.

Oh well - I guess I will have to make more cookies next weekend

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: Made these yesterday new
      #260972 - 05/02/06 07:49 AM
littlethree

Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Spokane, WA

When I first made them they were a bit "crumbly" and falling apart. I'm not sure what the "ICBINB" is...sorry. And I just used "eggs whites" and not whole eggs. And I doubt the egg sub. would be much different.

But I know with the substitutions in the "butter/margarine" and eggs and adding the strawberries themselves, they are very moist. most cookies i've made in the IBS way have been moist and more cake-like. but what i do is keep them in a refrigerator, to keep them more "solid". some people have also left them "open", uncovered to allow them to dry out a bit.

they are very moist cookies.

the original recipe didn't have strawberries in it (i just happened to have them and decided to put those in, instead of raisins as was called for in the orginial recipe). I also put in "Smart Balance Light" instead of butter/margarine in the 1st batch I made and then substituted "Applesauce" in the 2nd batch.

I didn't ice my cookies either...they are good enough without added icing, in my opinion.

overall...i expect they will be moist. because of the substitutions and added strawberries (perhaps a reduction in the egg or margarine substitute should be made to make them less moist.) as i've read over and over...crunchy IBS safe cookies are hard to make. (though i made some christmas cookies this past year that were very crunchy.)

ICBINB is.... new
      #260982 - 05/02/06 08:11 AM
MCV

I Can't Believe It's Not Butter..

Next time I try these I think I will try it with less butter (sub). Maybe that will help.....

Thanks for your reply - I do LOVE the flavor of the cookies - I think I just need to do a little tweaking. I couldn't even pick up a cookie out of the container this morning

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: Made these yesterday new
      #261072 - 05/02/06 11:20 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

light/diet margarines aren't recommended for baking -- they usually have much higher air/water content. I'd rather just use half the amount of margarine rather than use a light margarine.

I have had my share of mushy cookies that congealed into one solid lump once stored. It's worse if the cookies are sorta flat, so I roll the batter into balls and squish it down a tiny bit so the cookies are smaller and fatter. You can also whip the egg whites to soft-peak levels and add them last -- it messes with the texture a bit, but it helps keep them more stable instead of cookie mush. And you can't store them in an airtight container -- I'd leave the lid off or slightly open, and after a day I'd probably transfer them to the fridge.

BTW, the best safe cookies I've ever had was this chocolate chip cookie recipe. I've made this recipe lots of times. They look, taste, and feel like real cookies!! They are also yummy if you use butterscotch/white chocolate chips (if you can find dairy-free brands) and roll them in sugar.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 63 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6472

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review