All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Chinese “Carry-Out” Noodles
      #242851 - 01/30/06 03:24 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

This is from Eating Well Is The Best Revenge by Marian Burros, copyright 1995. This dish is good for dinner, but I really love it as leftovers for lunch the next day.

Chinese "Carry-Out" Noodles

On a recent Saturday afternoon I had an urge for the kind of noodle dish you usually carry out from Chinese restaurants. They sometimes seem the perfect comfort food. I'm not talking about trendy, cutting-edge Asian noodles, but the old-fashioned kind you might have had in a chop suey parlor forty years ago: lots and lots of very thin or very fat noodles with bits of chicken, onion, and bok choy added. The ratio of noodles to other ingredients was about 500 to 1.

To satisfy my yen, I created a slightly more expensive version, with more chicken, more onion, and more bok choy, reducing the ratio of noodles to other parts to about 50 to 1. It still hit the spot and can be put together in very short order using two pots. This version probably also has less fat but more flavor than the oilier original.

Ingredients:

4 ounces (1/4 pound) whole onion or 3 ounces chopped ready-cut onion (1 cup)
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
1 clove garlic
4 ounces (1/4 pound) skinless, boneless chicken breast (about 1 small breast)
Fresh or frozen ginger, to yield 1 Tablespoon coarsely grated {I use 1/2 Tablespoon}
2 large stalks bok choy (or 1 stalk celery)
8 ounces (1/2 pound) fresh angel hair pasta {see Notes below}
1/4 cup no-salt-added chicken stock or broth {I use the kind with salt}
2 Tablespoons dry sherry
1 Tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce {I use the full-sodium kind}
1-1/2 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 scallions {green onions}
1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions:

1. Bring water to boil in a covered pot for the pasta.

2. Chop whole onion. Heat the canola and sesame oils in a large nonstick skillet until very hot; add the onion and saute.

3. Mince the garlic, add it to the onion, and continue cooking.

4. Wash, dry, and cut the chicken into bite-size pieces; add to the onion and continue cooking until the chicken browns.

5. Grate the ginger and add to the skillet.

6. Wash, trim, and cut the bok choy into small pieces; add to the skillet and stir.

7. Cook the pasta according to package directions.

8. Add chicken stock, sherry, soy sauce, and hoisin sauce to the skillet and stir well; reduce heat and continue cooking.

9. Wash, trim, and slice the scallions.

10. Drain the pasta and stir it into the chicken mixture until it is well coated. Season with salt. Sprinkle with scallions and serve.

Approximate Nutritional Information per Serving (based on low salt ingredients):

600 calories; 10 grams fat; 35 milligrams cholesterol; 710 milligrams sodium; 30 grams protein; 95 grams carbohydrates.

This means 90 calories from fat - 15% of calories from fat.

Notes:

Fresh angel hair pasta is what you find in the refrigerator case. It cooks in about 2 minutes. I don't like angel hair and I don't like fresh pasta, so I use dried linquini or thick spaghetti. If you want to use fresh pasta, be sure to check the label: I think fresh pastas are more likely to contain egg yolk than dried ones. As far as timing goes when using dried pasta, I get the water boiling, then put the pasta in to cook when I start heating the oils. That seems to work out about right.

I prefer a soupier mixture, so I double the amount of chicken broth, sherry, soy sauce, and hoisin sauce.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Definitely trying this one! -nt- new
      #242896 - 01/30/06 05:40 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Chinese “Carry-Out” Noodles new
      #243277 - 01/31/06 10:57 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Oh my, this looks GOOD Comfort food, indeed! I'm going to make this soon, probably replacing the chicken with tofu.

Quick question: I know that the alcohol in the sherry would be cooked off, but I don't *have* any sherry (or any alochol), and for just 2 tbsp it seems silly to go buy some. Do you know what might be a good substitute? Would leaving it out completely (or just replacing it with a bit more broth) really change the taste? (Maybe this is why none of my stirfries taste like Chinese takeout? lol )

Thanks Sand!

Hey, Retrograde! See list of substitutions new
      #243300 - 02/01/06 06:33 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I think I've posted this before, but darned if I know in what thread!

Substitutions new
      #243314 - 02/01/06 08:11 AM
Sand

I'd probably increase the chicken broth, soy sauce, and hoisin sauce enough to make up the loss of liquid. I like Chinese Plum Sauce, too, and since I have it would consider using that instead - maybe half and half with broth. The sherry does add something I like, but I think this would be fine without it. It does seem, though, that sherry turns up in Chinese recipes - hmmm, I wonder if the Chinese use sherry in cooking or it that's an Americanized substitute for some other ingredient it's hard to find in most grocery stores?

I hope you enjoy this.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Hey, Retrograde! See list of substitutions new
      #243331 - 02/01/06 08:42 AM
retrograde

Is this the post you're talking about?

Thanks Snorkie! I must have missed this one!

Though to be honest, I think that fruit juice, vanilla extract or coffee would be a little gross in this recipe... I'm assuming that's more for dessert type recipes anyway. (I checked out foodsubs.com before posting and it said basically the same thing... which sounded just wrong to me! lol)

This is a good list to have on hand though Thanks!

Re: Substitutions new
      #243333 - 02/01/06 08:44 AM
retrograde

Thanks Sand!

I'm pretty sure sherry is actually the common substitute for Chinese rice wine, but I could be wrong about that...

Anyway, I'm going to try to make this this week, so I'll let you know how it turns out!

Made this tonight! (vegetarian version) new
      #243735 - 02/02/06 09:33 PM
retrograde

...and it was a big hit! Veeery good!

I made it vegetarian by using about half a package of extra-firm tofu instead of chicken and vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Since I didn't have to cook the tofu or the ginger or garlic (I used minced from a jar rather than fresh) or onions (I left them out and just used some onion powder - onions and I don't get along! )... anyway, since I didn't have to sautee anythhing, I mixed up the sauce and just "marinated" the tofu in it while the pasta cooked and didn't add any oil at all to this recipe. I didn't have any bok choy/celery so I used carrots and green beans, which I just cooked in the same water as the pasta. So basically it was a one-pot meal!

I also didn't have any sherry so I just used a bit more broth (eyeballed it, really, as to how much liquid I wanted).

Anyway, I made a lot of variations I guess but it was still really very good! My partner loved it too. Highly recommended!

Edited by retrograde (02/03/06 09:22 AM)

LOL! (m) new
      #244015 - 02/03/06 04:41 PM
Sand

I'm glad this was a big hit, but I had to laugh a little at all the substitutions. For some reason, this reminds of nail soup.

--------------------

made this last night new
      #260252 - 04/26/06 03:40 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

since I was dithering around w/ raw chicken and hoisin sauce anyway (made Kree's Asian baked chicken w/ vinegar sauce as well).

I kind of ruined this, but it still tasted really good. I used rice noodles as the pasta, since I have so many to use up, but I was too lazy to dump them in a colander and I didn't realize (until too late) that there was a LOT of water still in the pot. So the sauce got really watered down. Also, I used way too much pasta. But whatever, I'll do better next time.

modifications:

- I hate ginger, so I sprinkled in about 1/2 t powdered stuff to make me feel like I was at least pretending to give in

- omitted the bok choy because I didn't have any. I actually have no idea what bok choy even is, but I figure it's safe to assume that if I don't know what a certain food is then I probably don't have it. I didn't have any celery, either.

- didn't have any sherry. Me being kinda alcohol-illiterate, I sat there trying to figure out if sherry could possibly be at least a kissing cousin to the cooking wine that I did have. Eventually, I decided to use white wine because it was the bottle closest to the edge of the shelf.

- didn't use the scallions because I didn't have any, so we were forced to pretend.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 251 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12975

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review