All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
savory banana dishes?
      #242766 - 01/30/06 11:57 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

a friend of mine just mentioned 'pasta in banana sauce,' which turned out to be just red sauce w/ half a banana, which sounds dodgy, but my interest is piqued - does anyone know any savory uses for banana? what spices go well with it? i'd imagine some sort of banana/soy milk cream sauce could be delicious on spaghetti, but i wouldn't know where to begin.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: savory banana dishes? new
      #242770 - 01/30/06 12:18 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Actually, jaime, there are tons out there! One that I've tried (and is delicious) is a Spicy Banana salad dressing (I think Dean Ornish created the recipe). I don't have the recipe offhand. I haven't had plantains in years, but they're awesome--of course, you can just substitute a green banana!

I used to like bananas combined with spinach. I've seen recipes where banana is matched with fish, as well as beets.
Banana is actually an herb, I believe, like the carrot. But don't quote me on this comment. I suspect that curried bananas would be really yummy. Or jerked bananas (sorry if that's a little phallic). I've seen dishes where peas are combined with bananas as well.

A very interesting question, nevertheless.

Kate, IBS-D.

#242822 - 01/30/06 02:26 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I'm pretty sure they use bananas in savory dishes quite a bit in the Caribbean... usually mixed with rum!

Unfortunately I don't have any specific recipes I've tried.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Yellow Fruited Rice new
      #242852 - 01/30/06 03:29 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

One of my cookbooks has a Yellow Fruited Rice recipe - you make rice with banana, dried cherries, lime juice, scallions, onion, turmeric, and nutmeg. (The author serves it with plain broiled fish like salmon, swordfish, or tuna.) I haven't tried it - it's one of those I've earmarked to make "someday" - but if it sounds anything like what you're looking for, I'll be glad to post it. It's an under 30 minutes meal.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#242886 - 01/30/06 05:12 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I've seen a lot of recipes for "banana salsas" on line.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Yellow Fruited Rice new
      #243083 - 01/31/06 09:55 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i would love to see that recipe, if it's not too much trouble.

i get the sense that bananas go well with chiles, and other spicy preparations. i might have to do some experimentation - blend a banana, divide it up and try different seasonings. maybe saute them first for the browning flavor...

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Curry! new
      #243174 - 01/31/06 02:29 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'll have to see if I can find the recipe, but I used to make a curry rice that had plantain in it... a not-too-ripe banana would work there too. I also have an Indian cookbook that has recipes in it for banana curry; it's a traditional vegetarian dinner dish. But anyway, a little bit of sweetness works REALLY well in spicy things.

jaime_g new
      #243184 - 01/31/06 03:37 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I just realized I posted my recipe in the form of a response to you, but as a new post. I'm sorry - vapor lock, I guess. Here's the link, just in case it slides off the first page before you see it.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#243275 - 01/31/06 10:42 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Quote:

or jerked bananas (sorry if that's a little phallic)

ahahahaha... oh, the 1am-immature-part-of-me is laughing hysterically at that one, kate dear!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 183 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3057

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review