All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Wind/Kate new
      #259534 - 04/21/06 06:24 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hey, it was good to read that you're enjoying legumes now! I hope you share some of your recipes with us. Mmm, I love carrots and hummus too.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A 2:1 ratio works, if using fresh. new
      #259596 - 04/22/06 08:42 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

You know -- I have red wine vinegar and I'll have to try that instead. I love this sauce -- and can't thank you enough for sharing it. I'll have to get brave enough to try roasting them fresh. How long does it take? How do you know they're done? (revealing the fact I have never cooked real beets or carrots for that matter in the oven)

So two large carrots to one beet head? new
      #259599 - 04/22/06 08:45 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I also don't know how to roast them!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: A 2:1 ratio works, if using fresh. new
      #259621 - 04/22/06 12:50 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I usually do the poke test to see if they're done. I roast them the same way you'd roast a chicken or a turkey. Foil helps seal in the flavours. (When in season, I'll often bake beets the way one would bake a potato in the oven! It is truly a treat.) I generally just put it all in a pan with a little liquid base at around 350 or 375 and let it cook for around an hour. You'll know when it's cooked enough for you, i.e. soft. I generally use a little Imagine or Pacific veg. stock as the liquid base. I'll also add things like a cinnamon stick or cloves, a bay leaf, etc.

This also works great on the stovetop when you have the afternoon to let it simmer away at low heat.

I know this is vague. Basically, you'll know when it's done and check it after about 45 min.- 1 hour and poke and stir.

Perhaps one of the roasted veggie recipes will give you a more concrete time guide.

Kate.

Re: If using fresh.... new
      #259667 - 04/22/06 07:54 PM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

made the suace with fresh today and added zucchini, mushrooms and yellow peppers, its turned out great.
It actually does smell like tomatoe sauce despite the fact that i was worried at first since the beets kinda smell like dirt. Thanx guys this is great now i have 2 sauces fr pizza and pasta, this one and a roasted red pepper pesto that i make.

Coul you please post ... new
      #259711 - 04/23/06 07:20 AM
Augie

amounts for each type of food you used...and how you made it? I don't know how to roast veggies, even after reading the thread. How do you put the veggies in water and then cover that pan with foil? What kind of pan do you use?

--------------------
~ Beth

Do you drain the juice? new
      #259712 - 04/23/06 07:22 AM
Augie

Or use the entire can, including juices? Canned veggies are so salty.

--------------------
~ Beth

how i made it new
      #259715 - 04/23/06 07:41 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I basically looked up a tomato sauce recipe in how it all vegan and replaced the can of tomatoes with the roasted carrots and the tomato paste with the roasted beet.
I simply peeled 1 med beet and 4 med carrots, cut them up into smaller pieces and put them in a foiled lined pyrex dish, i then poured a bit of water over them and covered the dish with some more tin foil, i baked them at 350 in th eoven for 45 min and they turned out perfect. Then i cut them up smaller and started the actual sauce:

4 cloves of garlic minced
1 small onion chopped
1/2 cup yellow pepper chopped
8 mushrooms chopped
1/2 zucchini chopped
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
2tbsp olive oil
I sauteed all of t his until the onions became translucent and then added the chopped up roasted carrots and beets and
1 tsp sucanat
a splash of red wine vinegar
1 full roasted red pepper pureed
I simmered this on med for 45 min, then i blended it in a mini chopper to get a chunky but still sauce-like consistency
i personally have always preferred my sauces to have more veggeis than anything else, so this seems to work for me, it smells great and i can't wait to try it tonight, yeah i know i haven't actually tried it yet, but i will post when i do.
Mainly i am impressed with how much it looks and smells like tomato sauce, it'll be great if it tastes as good as it looks and smells without the burning associated with tomatoes.

Re: how i made it new
      #259749 - 04/23/06 11:22 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Sounds yummy!

I usually just use a fresh whole bunch of carrots and a fresh bunch of beets. I put them in a baking pan--chopped on diagonal-- with shallots (or some sort of sweet onion) and (yes--it's a vampire slayer sauce for me!) a whole bulb/head of garlic. I add fresh basil and fennel and cinnamon and cloves. I'll often add savory and sometimes oregano and/or lavender. If I want to give it a kind of "meaty" effect I'll roast eggplant in another pan, simultaneously and add the pureed guts/eggplant caviar to the finished product. I'll douse the veggies with vinegar--balsalmic or red wine vinegar. Oh, I cover them with foil and splash on about 3 or 4 cm of Imagine veggie stock. I imagine that red wine would add a really nice touch.

I set the oven at 350 or 375 degrees and let in bake for around an hour. When it's cool I puree, in batches, with the juices as needed to get the consistency/viscosity/thickness I desire. The last time I made it I added about 2 tbsp. of white miso (dissolved) to the sauce and it really brought out the naturally sweet saltiness of the root veggies.

I've been known to eat some of the ingredients (in carmelized roasted form) before they have a chance to get to the food processor.

It's really flexible and open to improvisation/interpretation, so make it suit you.

Kate.

Re: Do you drain the juice? new
      #259905 - 04/24/06 01:52 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Yes. I drain the juice. I use just a little of it to help make the veggies process more easily (the lemon juice or red wine vinegar also helps). However most of it goes down the drain. You can also buy the no salt added kind.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 88 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36625

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review