All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Substitution for heavy whipping cream
      #240485 - 01/21/06 06:02 PM
canteat

Reged: 11/18/05

There is a recipe I would like to try, but the icing requires heavy whipping cream. Everything else is okay or has a substitute. Any ideas?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Substitution for heavy whipping cream new
      #240507 - 01/21/06 08:30 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Do you need to whip it? I mean, does it need to actually be whipped cream, or does it just need to be heavy cream? If the former, you can sub fat-free Cool Whip if you can tolerate both the culinary travesty and the HFCS/casienate in it. If the latter, you can probably just sub soy/rice milk -- depending on how picky the texture is, you can either just add a little bit less of the soy/rice milk or you can thicken it with cornstarch or instant vanilla pudding.

Rich's also has a non-dairy creamer out there that can be whipped and used in place of heavy cream. The fat's somewhat high and it is chock-full of all kinds of artificial ingredients, but I used it once and it was OK. It was hard to find, though, I only found it in one grocery store and haven't found it since. It didn't whip as well as normal whipping cream, either, but I didn't try too hard since it was only for ice cream.

If you're asking for a sub for something tricky like heavy cream, it's best to post the actual recipe if you could, since it would give us a better idea.

You can also try a totally different icing recipe. I don't think there's much out there that absolutely has to be served with only one kind of frosting/icing.

Hope this sort of helps.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#240534 - 01/22/06 08:31 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I think there's a fairly recent post that says there is now dairy in all Cool Whip, but there may be some other brands - store brands maybe? - that are dairy free. If you do a Search on Cool Whip the thread should pop out.

There are also some threads on whipping cream substitutes - try a Search on "whip cream" (don't use the quotes) with no time limit. I know one of them uses grated apple, which sounds weird, but whips up nicely.

There's a Silk creamer that may do for a heavy cream substitute and at some point someone posted about thickening either that or regular soy milk with cornstarch to emulate a cream sauce, so maybe that would get you close.

Beyond that, I agree with Jen - post the recipe and someone here will come up with something.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#240535 - 01/22/06 08:33 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Jen had some great ideas, so I only have a couple to add. First of all, if the icing does require the cream to be whipped and you don't want to use Cool Whip (which I hear now has dairy!!), would you be willing to sub a different icing? I often use my own icings or glazes if the ones called for in a recipe don't work well for me. I know there are some icing recipes on the recipe index.

If it doesn't need whipping, I agree with Jen's idea of using non-dairy creamer. I've used Silk creamer in place of heavy cream in recipes and it comes out nice and thick. Plus it doesn't have all the artificial junk that's in some non-dairy creamers.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Great minds... new
      #240537 - 01/22/06 08:34 AM
Kree

Quote:

There's a Silk creamer that may do for a heavy cream substitute and at some point someone posted about thickening either that or regular soy milk with cornstarch to emulate a cream sauce, so maybe that would get you close.

Lol! We must have been posting this at the same time. Great minds think alike.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

I'm flattered, Kree! -nt- new
      #240543 - 01/22/06 08:49 AM
Sand

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

dairy in Cool Whip new
      #240600 - 01/22/06 02:30 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

But is there now dairy in fat-free Cool Whip? I've looked in the stores several times since that thread, and I haven't seen dairy in the ff stuff ANYWHERE. Now, it's possible that it might take awhile for the stores to use up old stuff and get in the new formulas, but I'd like someone to actually confirm that they have seen dairy now listed in fat-free Cool Whip ingredients. I know it's always had HFCS and caseinate. I am pretty certain that at least regular Cool Whip and the "extra-creamy" kind have always had more dairy products in them -- e.g. whey, nonfat milk solids, or skim milk -- because I read labels like crazy when I first went on Heather's diet. Not sure about Lite. I just checked the chocolate Cool Whip recently and that doesn't have anything other than the usual HFCS/caseinate.

Interesting enough, Kraft's website says:

COOL WHIP Whipped Topping is not milk-free or dairy-free. All forms/flavors of COOL WHIP Whipped Topping contain sodium caseinate, a natural protein of milk, and therefore should not be consumed by those with dairy allergies.

[No mention of anything else!!!]

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Ok, here's the recipe new
      #240809 - 01/23/06 11:09 AM
canteat

Reged: 11/18/05

Raspberry Torte
Makes 12-14 servings

1 package yellow cake mix
1/4 cup chopped toasted almonds
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons rum extract
2 cups raspberry filling

Prepare cake batter according to instructions; fold in almonds. Pour into two greased and floured 9 in round baking pans. Bake as directed. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. For frosting, in a small mixing bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add the confectioner's sugar, cocoa, and extract; beat until stiff peaks form. Split each cake into two horizontal layers. Place one layer on a serving plate; spread with 1/2 cup raspberry filling and 1/2 cup frosting. Repeat with remaining cake layers. Place remaining frosting in a pastry bag with a #195 star tip. Decorate top and sides of cake as desired.

This recipe was taken from the Jan/Feb issue of Taste of Home's Quick Cooking magazine (pg 51).

Hmm... you may need to look for that Rich's creamer if you want something to form "stiff peaks" -nt- new
      #240858 - 01/23/06 01:23 PM
Kree

--------------------

Re: dairy in Cool Whip new
      #260062 - 04/25/06 03:21 PM
Sand

I checked Free Cool-Whip; Lite Cool-Whip; and regular Cool-Whip and all I saw in any of them was sodium caseinate (plus HFCS, of course).

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 287 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7002

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review