All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Starting diet and supplements
      #238812 - 01/16/06 07:08 AM
Mrs.Glory

Reged: 01/15/06
Loc: Illinois

I was told I have IBS and found this site. I have decided to start today on the soluable fiber ONLY for a couple of weeks to see if my tummy gets better. Then start adding the insoluable fiber one at a time to see what upsets my tummy. I have benefiber at home and I was wondering if I should take that with the diet or should I leave it out til I know what foods are upsetting my system. I have IBS-D and can't get rid of the diarrhea and now my tummy is sore and crampy and rumbling!! Has anyone done the soluable fiber only for a couple of weeks? Did it help? Also I have always been a decaf black coffee drinker since i just hate teas. I have tried and tried to drink all flavor teas and I still can taste the tea in them and just can't stand the taste. I am going off coffee too since it is not good but is there anything else I can drink instead of tea???? Any help would be appreciated!!

--------------------
Mrs.Glory

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Starting diet and supplements new
      #238822 - 01/16/06 07:59 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

an all-soluble fiber diet should really only be done for three days, at the most - after that you need to (carefully, of course) start adding in protein and IF, for nutrition's sake.

have you read through heather's diet guidelines on the website? she talks about soluble fiber supplements (of which benefiber is one) - you should start one right away to help your system stabilize. i'd recommend reading through the diet info on the website, even more than one time, to acquaint yourself with the guidelines.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#238834 - 01/16/06 08:43 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I agree with jaime_g - You definitely need to read the Website outside the Boards to be sure you understand Heather's guidelines. I'd also recommend you try to find Heather's book "The First Year - IBS". Your library may have it if you don't want to purchase it.

There are coffee substitutes that some coffee-drinkers seem to find acceptable - Teeccino, Rocamojo, and Soyfee are some that came up recently. I never drank coffee, so I can't really comment on how good they are, but you can do a Search to see what people have said about them. As for tea, regular tea still has caffeine - you might try some of the herbal teas. They won't taste like tea, so you may find them more palatable. Most of this information is probably going to be on the Diet Board, not the Recipe Board - that's where general discussions of Heather's diet, including specific food recommendations, usually take place. The Recipe Board is for posting recipes and asking questions about cooking.

I'm IBS-D and Heather's diet was a Godsend for me - I saw some improvement almost immediately, although it took a while on the diet and a good dose of SFS to really feel well. I hope you find the same.

HTH. Welcome to the Boards.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#238852 - 01/16/06 09:51 AM
Mrs.Glory

Reged: 01/15/06
Loc: Illinois

Thanks for the advice. I will try anything to get rid of the problems!

--------------------
Mrs.Glory

#238909 - 01/16/06 11:50 AM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Hi Mrs. Glory,

I just started Heather's diet last July when I got my IBS diagnosis. I, too, am IBS-D and I noticed almost immediate improvement in my symptoms. The key, however, like other have said, is to follow the guidelines strictly. Plus, you must be patient. It takes time for your system to heal itself and stabilize. I think it took me roughly until December to feel good again.

I started just eating the BRA diet(bananas, white rice, and peeled apples) along with french bread for almost a week. I know you're supposed to incorporate IF into it after a few days, but my system just wouldn't take much of it. So, my adivce is to listen to your body and see what and when it can handle more. But it IS important to start eating IF. You need it!

I am one of the weird ones on here, as I don't use a SFS. They all seem to make me worse and I am so busy with work and law school right now that I can't "stomach" the extra stress and pain of experimenting. I am pretty stable on the diet and one Immodium a day. And I take Beano before meals that have gas-inducing potential.

As for coffee, I'd definitely stop drinking it while you are trying to get your system in order. Drink herbal tea or Teecccino (which can be purchased online. Just Google it.) I was a religious coffee drinker and stopped drinking it for six months. Since I've stabilized, I've been drinking it again (a little every morning) with no problems. But I am going to stop again soon, just for my own peace of mind.

Good luck to you! And hang in there! I know the D is terrible and embarassing, but it will get better if you read and follow the diet guidelines, as others have told you. Get Heather's Eating for IBS cookbook. It's been my godsend and the recipes are fantastic

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 113 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2368

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review