All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
"Tuscan Italian" salad dressing
      #238318 - 01/13/06 02:22 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

This is inspired by Tuscan Italian flavour Wellness Dressing by Renee's Gourmet (web page). The name is probably copyrighted but...

Anyway, thank you Kate for recommending this to me! I haven't tried it yet but the ingredients list looked so good... so I tried out my own, and the results, I must say, were very tasty!

"Tuscan Italian" salad dressing
(amounts are approximate)

1 cup cooked carrots
3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp vegetable juice (i.e. "garden cocktail")
2 tsp olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp brown sugar

Mix up everything in a blender or food processor. Add a bit of water if it's too thick. Makes about 1 cup of dressing.

Edit: admittedly, this is really more of a "sauce" than a "dressing" in its consistency. To yield a more dressing-like consistency, try replacing carrot juice for the pureed carrots

Edited by retrograde (01/15/06 11:30 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: "Tuscan Italian" salad dressing new
      #238398 - 01/13/06 06:28 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

(Ironically) I just finished off the bottle I bought about a week or so of this DIVINE dressing and, I think you've got it just about right, Laurel!

I would have made it with carrot juice versus carrots, though.
I would probably have used either hemp (nice natural nutty taste & excellent omega 3/omega 6 ratio or (yes) high lignan flax oil. (I detest olive oil!)

Have you ever tried hemp oil, Retrograde? Of all the oils I've ever tried in my life, it is the one I totally adored.

Must figure out a home-made POM-BERRY dressing ("Wellness Dressing"). Just finished that bottle off today, too! They
really are good (and in the very safe fat range, i.e. 1-2 grams/2 tbsp.)

Kate.

#238505 - 01/14/06 11:35 AM
retrograde

Yep, I would've made it with carrot juice too, but I don't have a juicer so that's out! hehe Actually this is really more of a "sauce" than a "dressing" because of that... kind of like a thin tomato sauce type consistency.

Nope I've never tried hemp oil... actually I don't think I've ever seen it in the store either. I don't really have much oils in my diet, for obvious reasons. Does it have a really distinctive taste? Like, for the small amount in say, this recipe, would you be able to notice a difference?

#238563 - 01/14/06 05:05 PM
Wind

Well, I find olive oil to taste distinctly like olive oil (which is why I hate it!), however considering the amount of carrots and the consistency of the recipe, no would be my answer.

zehrs/Loblaws usually has hemp oil in the refridgerated section of their organic/natural food section. Alot of HFS sell it, too. I'm hyper-fat sensitive, too, which is why I am ultra reluctant to add a tsp. of healthy fat to my diet daily. Are you one to just skip the fat in a recipe & substitute? My own vinaigrettes are fat free. Everyone calls me crazy for my no fat added diet.

Grapeseed oil is generally a very tasteless/clean oil for vinaigrettes.

I could, in the Renee's "Wellness" interpretation, taste the flax & fish oil. It was very sublime, though. Flax & fish oils are very distinct. (Pre-IBS, a naturopath told me I had a fatty acid deficiency & so I was doing 3-4 tbsp. of omega 3's daily. Mostly flax & borage oil. BIG MISTAKE. Food literally slid right through me!)

Kate.

Edited by Wind (01/14/06 05:14 PM)

skipping the fat new
      #238679 - 01/15/06 11:28 AM
retrograde

YES I do this too! All the time. There is a bottle of olive oil on my counter that has hardly been touched in two years I usually just substitute something for all the fat in a recipe and leave it out entirely.

I've lately been trying to get a bit more healthy fats into my diet, but admittedly it hasn't been going too well. I've been progressively destablizing lately (not just because of the fats, just in general) so I think I'm going to take some time off from that and just focus on getting stable again

I do however, find eating nuts (chopped, in small amounts) to be very safe. I guess I'll just stick to that.

Re: skipping the fat new
      #238691 - 01/15/06 01:09 PM
Wind

I WISH I could tolerate fats, but quite frankly, a meal/food/product higher than 2 g of fat is VERY VERY VERY risky for me. Seriously, it just gets my guts flushing. Definitely a major giga-watt gastrocolic reaction.

Usually, if it is a "vinaigrette" or sauce I'll substitute an appropriate liquid. For example, in a homemade "Tuscan Vinaigrette" I'd just add a splash of veg. stock for the oil(actually very flavourful!) or some sort of juice (carrot & beet are divine for this purpose!)--hey, even just water!

Mostly I stick to funky vinegars & mustards, herbs & spices.

I didn't have a bad reaction to the Renee's product, though.
Of the two I've used, I actually prefer the POM-BERRY. It compliments dark green leafies beautifully, i.e. spinach & swiss chard.

Kate.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 383 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5487

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review