All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Eating for Ibs in college
      #237823 - 01/11/06 10:11 PM
Zaza

Reged: 01/11/06

Im a freshman in college and was wondering whether anyone had any easy recipes that I could prepare in my dorm room via my illegal hot pot, microwave, and blender. Unfortunately, the university's cafeteria does not have ANY ibs safe foods. Actually, I question the edibility of any of the food in that place.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eating for Ibs in college new
      #237844 - 01/12/06 04:44 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Have you looked at the Recipe Index? There are loads of slow-cooker/hot pot recipes in there.

My only suggestion would be lots of baked potatoes. Only kidding!

#237860 - 01/12/06 05:33 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

At my school, the cafeteria was called "The Commons", but it didn't make the food any better. They used to have one-color days - Tuesdays all the food was orange: enchiladas with odd tomato sauce, carrots, orange jello, sweet potato casserole. None of it was edible either.

I love the CrockPot Bourbon Breast of Chicken, but there is a browning step to it and I'm not sure how feasible that would be in a dorm room. If you have an illegal fridge, too, you could make smoothies and buy some IBS-safe "TV dinners". I think Amy's makes some and if I remember correctly some of the diet ones (Lean Cuisine, etc.) might be okay. A Search on the Diet Board for "Amys" and "Lean Cuisine" might turn something up. If you're still in need of ideas after a few days of this post, you could try posting over there, asking for pre-packaged meal suggestions.

You could also cruise through the sticky posts at the top of the Diet Board that cover safe brand names and quick food - there might be something there you can use. As far as I know, Imagine soups are all safe and, with some bread, would make a nice lunch.

Last, but not least, I know there have been earlier posts on the trials and tribulations of having IBS in college. Try a Search on the Diet Board (and maybe the Living Room) for "college" with no time limit and they should pop out.

HTH. Welcome to the Boards and good luck with school.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#237931 - 01/12/06 08:53 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Confession: I'm in college, I don't live in the dorms, I have an apartment with a stove and everything - and I still cook everything in my microwave and rice cooker! lol

Here are some ideas for you.

Microwave: oatmeal, Uncle Ben's minute rice, baked potatoes and sweet potatoes, heat up canned soups, make chili with canned tomato sauce + canned beans + canned mushrooms and heat, veggie (soy) hot dogs and veggie (soy) burgers (just need to be microwaved). You can also make pretty decent egg whites in the microwave - just put them in a bowl with whatever seasonings you want and heat on high for about 3 or 4 minutes, stirring every minute or so (scrambling, that is). You can also cook almost any vegetable in the microwave just by putting it in a bowl with a little bit of water. Fruits cook well in the microwave too, like apples and pears.

In your blender you can puree cooked veggies to make really safe sauces to put on rice or baked potatoes. You can also make an endless array of smoothies with fruit, soy or rice milk and other ingredients in your blender. Just try googling smoothie recipes - you'll get lots.

Cereal with soy or rice milk is another good staple meal that doesn't require any cooking. Plus as Sand said, check out the sticky on the diet board that lists a bunch of safe quick foods.

And as Linz said, there are lots of good hot pot recipes in the recipe index!

HTH!

#238534 - 01/14/06 02:51 PM
Zaza

Thanks sooooo much. Your advice really helped. I went out and stocked up on soup and stuff today.

#238536 - 01/14/06 02:53 PM
Zaza

Thanks for your advice. Maybe now I'll be able to get through a semester ibs free!

#238616 - 01/15/06 05:54 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

check out this old post of mine, and follow the link to another old post. Hope that helps!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 295 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10942

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review