All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Very restricted and could use some help! THANK YOU
      #237362 - 01/10/06 04:42 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Having multiple diagnoses that restrict food....this is all I have left that I KNOW is safe (not much will be able to be added even once I begin adding in new foods...so this is NOT very temporary as food causes me inflimmation and wear and tear of bladder wall in addition to my IBS and food allergies)

Her'es my list. Any recipes would be greatly appreciated!

WARNING...if you want to add a pinch of say, cinnmon, no can do. No soy milk either. Basically...if it is not part of the foods I list not even a hint can be added...

French bread
white potatoes
sweet potatoes
pasta
pita
carrots
fish
chicken
corn
pears
peas
muchrooms (I think)
lettuce
broc and cauliflower (but they wreak havoc on my IBS even as a much)
a bit of salt
oregano
basil

Thanks again for your time, effort, patience, and LOVE *hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

With those indredients.... new
      #237366 - 01/10/06 04:55 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

You could make a lovely chicken soup with or without pasta. Enhance the flavor of the soup by cooking the vegetables for at least an hour thereby making the broth very savory! Use the basil and oregano for added flavor. I put potatoes in my soupd and my entire family eats it up!

I put peas...corn...garbanzo beans...black beans...all in moderation of course on my salads and it makes for lots of flavor and the color makes the salad pretty!

Veggie sandwiches are an option too...

Can you make a hummus that will be good for your tummy?

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: With those indredients.... new
      #237369 - 01/10/06 05:01 PM
Snow for Sarala

Hi Rachel!

I haven't tried chick peas yet so I don't know if they're ok. I hope so...that's why I posted about geting them in bulk so I can try them. It would be GREAT! to have ground up chick peas in some water for a special treat if I can eat them

BEANS are out...all kinds. No can do. They hurt!!! (Sorry I'm so boring )

Thanks for the soup idea! I ate soup for a week two weeks ago...it's great esp. in the winter! (If it would only SNOW LOL)

Thanks again...will keep the soup in mind

P.S. Have you ever used sweet potatoes n your soup...mmmm

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Ruchie, did you see this study? *edited* new
      #237370 - 01/10/06 05:12 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

They're looking for people newly diagnosed w/ IC to see how amytriptyline (spelling?) affects their symptoms.

http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/feb2005/niddk-17.htm

**Whoops, this was in February of last year, so the study has probably already started.

Edited by SPASMTASTICAL! (01/10/06 05:15 PM)

Amitryptaline and me new
      #237373 - 01/10/06 05:24 PM
Snow for Sarala

This stuff made me gain 30 lbs in about a month! It took me EIGHT months or more to lose it all.

The stuff DOES help with pain ...but it sure hurt my body! And man the cravings...awful!

I hope it helps a lot of women though...IC is VERY painful!

Thanks for thinking of me Maria...*hugs* I love you!

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: With those indredients.... new
      #237374 - 01/10/06 05:26 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

The Japanese make a soup with pumpkin which I find interesting and rather tasty. I have never tried sweet potato in my soup...only sweet potato pie!

I wonder if you could puree a sweet potato and make a "butter" out of it to use somehow? Hmmmmjust thinking out loud!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Re: Amitryptaline and me new
      #237375 - 01/10/06 05:28 PM
lalala

I think I did read that you and amitryptaline weren't a good combo. I'm sorry! I don't do very well with tricyclic ADs either - last time I tried them my jaw would lock and I wasn't able to urinate. Ugh!

I was just doing some reading on your recent diagnoses, looking up recipes, and came across that study. Well, I think we're a determined bunch here, and we'll figure a way to get you some relief!

*super-gentle hugs*

Sweet potato "butter" new
      #237377 - 01/10/06 05:36 PM
Snow for Sarala

I used butternut squash (seemed to make me hurt ) over the weekend as a "spaghetti sauce" Perhaps I could use a sweet potato puree that way...what a great idea!

I could also use it to spread on bread...hadn't thought of that!

Thanks Rachel...keep thinking...we're getting me more to eat!! Yummers

*hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Yes, Maria! new
      #237379 - 01/10/06 05:40 PM
Snow for Sarala

I'm gonna get better. I'm gonna stick with this diet and find ways to make it work for me...with a LOT of help from my FAM! *hugs*

I'm sooo glad you;re my friend Maria...thank you for thinking of me with that study. That was SO thoughful!

Love you

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Fish new
      #237380 - 01/10/06 05:40 PM
lalala

Does this include shellfish? (I'm assuming you have to avoid smoked or canned fish.)

A couple of ideas new
      #237541 - 01/11/06 08:27 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Hi Ruchie! Have you seen Heather's Simple Whitefish with Lemon and Herbs from EFI? Obviously you couldn't use the lemon, but maybe you could use the general technique and make it your own. Could you cook up some haddock or tilapia in foil with some basil and oregano and a splash of chicken broth in place of the lemon? Sounds tasty to me.

My mom also makes a delicious chicken dish that sounds doable for you. Here are the instructions she sent me when I asked her about it recently:

Brown your chicken breasts in a skillet with a little oil. (Can also throw in a clove of garlic minced.)
When browned well on all sides (usually takes about 15-20 minutes), add about 3/4 cup of water. Or you can add chicken broth for more flavor. Salt and pepper are good.
Throw in any veggies you want to add - celery, carrots, onions are a necessity.
Can also add your potatoes (if not serving with rice), either white or sweet potatoes.
Cover and let cook for about 20 minutes more, depending on how large your breasts are. (I'm sure she's referring to the chicken)
You can add more liquid as it cooks if you want to.

If you want to thicken up your liquid after it's all cooked, just mix together about 3 Tbsp corn starch with about 5-6 Tbsp cold water. Mix that together in a cup and add SLOWLY to the pan (with chicken and veggies still in). If you add too much, you'll end up with cement instead of gravy. (Speaking from experience here.)

Obviously you'd have to change a few things, like leaving out the celery and onions, but the basic idea sounds like something you could do.

I hope this helps! I'll keep racking my brain to see if I can come up with anything else for you. Best of luck with finding new and yummy dishes you can eat.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Very restricted and could use some help! THANK YOU new
      #237603 - 01/11/06 10:28 AM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Hi Ruchie! I'm sorry to hear you are on such a restricted diet, sweetie. I myself am in the process of eliminating all my trigger foods for all my various ailments, and the list of safe foods is getting shorter and shorter

Why don't you list some meals you currently eat that ARE safe for you, and that you like or even love? Maybe that will help trigger variations of the recipes that we know of, or maybe other renditions that we can help you with.

Right now, looking at the list, the first two things I think of are chicken veggie soup and a sort of chicken pasta salad. Also, there are TONS of things to do with fish that are very simple. I even eat grilled fish plain alot (the George Foreman comes in very handy), with a little pepper or salt or lemon (obviously avoid the lemon).

**Hugs**

-Heather

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

Re: Amitryptaline and me new
      #237605 - 01/11/06 10:33 AM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I hear ya sister! I was taking amitryptaline for my fibro, and I too gained 30 lbs in ONE month. I only wish someone had warned me about that side effect. Those cravings were KILLER! I felt like I was pregnant.

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4692

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review