All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
FRESH Tuna Ideas Please
      #237059 - 01/09/06 10:33 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Does anyone know a good way of making FRESH tuna to make into tuna salad for lunch? My personal trainer want me to get away from the canned tuna due to the amount of sodium.

I could make a big chunk/filet of tuna every other week or so and I think it would freeze well once cooked. I don't want to add much sodium or oil while cooking, but want to add flavor...

I can still add my RF Mayo to it also....the night before I eat it, just like if it were canned.

Any healthy ideas out there?

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: FRESH Tuna Ideas Please new
      #237061 - 01/10/06 02:48 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Fresh tuna is soo much yummier than tinned.
I'd try it with rice, olives, lime juice, peppers, corn, chopped celery, cucumbers with a soy dressing or balsamic vinegar..yummy Found some recipes that might inspire although some take a bit long to be doing every day.

here's one- tuna nicoise
Tuna Nicoise from BBC website
Ingredients
4x100g/4oz pieces of fresh tuna
olive oil

Method
1. Boil the new potatoes until cooked. Slice them, and marinate them while still warm in the vinaigrette for at least an hour.
2. Put the potatoes, olives, anchovies, beans and tomato into a bowl.
3. Pan-fry the tuna in a little of the olive oil until medium cooked, about 2 minutes on each side.
4. Peel and cut each hard-boiled egg into six wedges, and put three on each plate.
5. Mix 200ml/7fl oz olive oil and the balsamic vinegar. I'd use FF balsamic dressing Toss most of this into the bowl of vegetables, then arrange the vegetables on each plate on top of the eggs. Sprinkle with the chervil leaves.
6. Place the fish on top of the vegetables, and sprinkle with the rest of the oil and balsamic vinegar mixture.

Or this Soy-glazed tuna with Asian crunch salad

Or this
Tuna and Spinach Salad

--------------------
S.

#237081 - 01/10/06 06:07 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

What about slicing it in the thickness of your choice and grilling it on a George Foreman Grill or something and having sliced tuna sandwiches? You could put it on a salad too....

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#237108 - 01/10/06 08:28 AM
Shell Marr

OK, question.... when you cook a tuna steak in the oven does it "flake" like canned tuna or does it stay in a big chunk? How do I get the "flaky" results so I can still mix it with my mayo?

--------------------

#237158 - 01/10/06 10:21 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Honestly, it's divine grilled. I guess, if you want the "flaked" effect just put it in a mini chopper or a food processor. Seriously, grilled tuna is just too good as it for any thought of RF mayo. A splash of rice vinegar, or seasoned rice vinegar, lime juice is about all it might want for. Giving it a citrus "zing" is nice, too or a dijon twist. Wasabi dipping sauce rocks as well...even wasabi RF mayo. A lowfat raspberry or Italian dressing is really good too. Newman's Own Lowfat Sesame Thai dressing is really good for a quick RF flavour fix.

Honestly, though, fresh tuna doesn't need anything--that's how delicious it is! Yikes, now I'm hungry.

Kate.

#237183 - 01/10/06 10:43 AM
Shell Marr

Kate... that is BRILIANT!! I have a small food processor.... so I can just grill a few steaks (portions) so they are all cooked, then just grind them up and freeze the portions. Then all I have to do it pull them out one day ahead to thaw and mix in my mayo and maybe some Mrs Dash and/or lemon juice!!

--------------------

I've done it with other fish in the past, new
      #237251 - 01/10/06 01:32 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Actually, I haven't done it with tuna but I have done it with salmon steaks, cod, chicken breasts, tofu/soy things,hard boiled egg whites, shrimp etc.--so I am sure it will work with tuna.

Actually, it turns out really really well!

Kate.

Kate.

Well this might seem a little silly... new
      #237275 - 01/10/06 02:10 PM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

But why don't you try cailin's Prawn and ginger cakes with crunchy salad except substitute tuna for the prawns?

Great idea Isabel new
      #237945 - 01/12/06 09:15 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

..or you could use the tuna instead of the cod either and have tuna and shrimp/prawn.

--------------------
S.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2858

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review