All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Substituting potato flour and rice flour...Gluten Intolerant...HELP?
      #236475 - 01/07/06 11:27 AM
Sunni

Reged: 10/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hi All,

Just a question.

I just made Heather's Cinnamon Lime Pecan Bread, but since I am Gluten Intolerant, I can't use unbleached flour (makes me VERY sick).

So, I substituted the 3 cups of unbleached flour with 3 cups of potato flour...the batter didn't turn out...I had to add 2 extra cups of soy milk and 1 cup of water and it still isn't even moist enough!!

I substituted equal parts of this flour in the Corn Bread recipe, and it turned out great.

Does anyone know what happened here? Does anyone have any suggestions about substituting flours?

And, yes, in case you were wondering, I double checked and triple checked the recipe in case I made a mistake with another ingredient, it's fine...it's the FLOUR!

Help!

Thanks, all,

Sunni

IBS-C

New Year's Resolution....Strict IBS Diet!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Cinnamon Lime Pecan bread recipe too dry new
      #242837 - 01/30/06 02:49 PM
skw

Reged: 10/13/03
Loc: New Mexico

I made the Cinnamon Lime Pecan bread today for the first time.

Used all ingredients EXACTLY as called for and had to add about 1/2 cup of soy milk to barely wet all the dry ingredients!

It's not out of the oven yet so we'll we how it turns out.

Anyone know if there is a misprint on this bread?

Re: Cinnamon Lime Pecan bread recipe too dry new
      #242841 - 01/30/06 03:00 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I made it a while back and the batter turned out fine - I didn't need to add any extra liquid. Now, having said that, I think the bread was awfully heavy/dense (and I really didn't like it), but I would say the recipe worked as is.

For future reference, there's a sticky post at the top of the Recipe Board that will take you to recipe corrections for EFI.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Thanks! -nt new
      #242845 - 01/30/06 03:13 PM
skw

Reged: 10/13/03
Loc: New Mexico

Re: I love this one! new
      #242855 - 01/30/06 03:44 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

It is a dense consistency though I can't say I've ever had to add extra liquid.

It is an unusual flavour but I love it for that very reason.

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

That's what makes horse racing. Or... new
      #242859 - 01/30/06 03:56 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

to each his own, as the old lady said when she kissed the cow.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Substituting potato flour and rice flour...Gluten Intolerant...HELP? new
      #242860 - 01/30/06 04:17 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Hi All,

Just a question.

I just made Heather's Cinnamon Lime Pecan Bread, but since I am Gluten Intolerant, I can't use unbleached flour (makes me VERY sick).

So, I substituted the 3 cups of unbleached flour with 3 cups of potato flour...the batter didn't turn out...I had to add 2 extra cups of soy milk and 1 cup of water and it still isn't even moist enough!! Here is the problem. You can't sub an alternative flour straight across for the wheat flour. Use a gluten free flour blend of say rice, potato starch (not potato flour) and tapioca flour...or buy a commercial blend at the HFS. Then sift it 3 times before measuring. Alternative flours weigh more than wheat flour. Also, reduce your oven temp about 25 degrees and make sure you use a HEAVY weight baking pan. GF loaves hate reg sized 9X5 loaf pans, so bake in smaller loaf pans or go to a square baking pan. I don't have the recipe in front of me so I don't know what kind of pan it calls for.

I substituted equal parts of this flour in the Corn Bread recipe, and it turned out great. Yes, you can do this because you are working with TWO flour types together, corn and potato. Don't forget to add Xanthan gum to all your baked goodies. It's expensive, but worth it.

Does anyone know what happened here? Does anyone have any suggestions about substituting flours?

And, yes, in case you were wondering, I double checked and triple checked the recipe in case I made a mistake with another ingredient, it's fine...it's the FLOUR! Here is a very basic flour blend recipe. I hope this helps. Don't give up trying. Learning to bake GF is like learning to bake all over again.

Help!

Thanks, all,

Sunni

IBS-C

New Year's Resolution....Strict IBS Diet!!!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 159 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3535

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review