All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Pantry mistakes
      #232309 - 12/17/05 06:56 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Just thought about this earlier while writing in another post that I didn't want to buy Chinese plum sauce 'cause it'd never get used ... when you were first enthusiastically repopulating your pantry after starting the diet, what did you buy that you ended up throwing out because you never used it or it was just too gross to believe?

• fish sauce (why did I even buy this? NONE of the recipes I've printed out list it as an ingredient)
  • candied ginger (I hate ginger, but I always forget this and it is a rude awakening when I taste ginger and think "BLEAHHH! this is what it must taste like to eat dirty sneakers")
  • Boca crumbly fake meat things (like the result if you had taken the sneakers and grated the soles)
  • rice noodles (the reason they tasted so good at the Chinese restaurant was the large quantity of oil and spices; at home they just taste mildly unpleasantly wrong (wish I had done more experimenting before buying five bags))
  • basmati rice (I was always ruining it because I kept forgetting it didn't have the same liquid ratio as regular rice, plus to my uneducated rice palate it tasted just the same as plain white rice)
  • powdered soy milk (YUCK!!!! use chalk dust instead, it's cheaper and tastes better)
  • soy sour cream & cream cheese (I opened them, sniffed, couldn't figure out how I would ever be able to tell if they'd gone rancid, and pitched them)
  • the vast majority of soy/rice cheese (I did finally find a brand I loved, but most of them are unfairly disgusting for being so expensive)
  • Rice Dream vanilla ice cream (I can't even describe how nasty this was, so let us instead have a moment of quiet, dignified retching)
  • Amy's frozen pizza (remember pre-IBS when you would've simultaneously laughed and shuddered at the thought of soy cheese pizza? THIS IS WHY)
  • non-dairy coffee creamer (I don't even know why I bought this. I never used any kind of creamer before. One of those things where I got euphoric because it was safe so bought it. It sat in my cupboard for a long time, quietly and accusingly waiting for use, until I finally guiltily pitched it)
  • Panda licorice (I didn't know it was licorice. It was bedecked in a beguiling pink wrapper and said "strawberry". OK, so maybe I should have read closer and seen the "licorice candy" bit. I couldn't figure out why it was so FREAKING DISGUSTING until I took a closer look at the wrapper.)
  • The majority of herbal tea (I've finally found a couple kinds I like, but most of it kind of tastes like cat pee)
  • Luna bars/Z bars (Some were moderately OK, like if your only other alternative was to eat Amy's pizza or a bottle of fish sauce. But fat-free Saltines are way more tasty. I don't know why I always kept trying to like Luna bars, even though they tended to disagree with me. I think I just liked the idea of eating something that was prepackaged in a shiny wrapper.)
  • safe "natural" sodas, with no carbonation and no HFCS (if that sounds gross to you, you are so dead on)
  • vegan mayonnaise (I guess mayo just isn't any good without morally objectional unfertilized eggs)

Another mistake was Wrongful Bulk Buying. At first I was daunted by the "forbidden" list, so if I found out an item was safe, I got really excited and bought large quantities of it. To this day I STILL have excessive quantities of marshmallow creme, fat-free refried beans, cake mix, pasta, baby food, and about 20 different kinds of vinegar.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pantry mistakes new
      #232318 - 12/17/05 08:28 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Fish sauce> I've got exactly one recipe that actually calls for it. It's a decent crock pot recipe, but it doesn't call for much. So it doesn't just languish on the shelf, I put a dash of fish sauce in my stir fry sauces sometimes. Turns out pretty good, but my sauces are never the same way twice.

Boca Crumbles> Sing it, sistah! I'm not a fan of these either.

I gotta agree with you on the Rice Dream ice cream, too. It tasted exactly like rice with soy sauce to me. Now, I like rice & soy sauce, but not as a frozen frosty treat. Tofutti, on the other hand, I can accept, especially the Better Pecan.

All natural sodas with no carbonation and no HFCS???> Somebody explain to me how something with no carbonation is considered soda in the modern world? I didn't even know such a beast existed.

Luna bars> I do keep these things around. While they are not as yummy as a Snickers bar, they do the trick for me when I don't have time for my oatmeal. They also go in the travel kit...along with the FF saltines, Pepto, Levsin, 2 forms of SFS, and (for when I'm feeling really risque') the Lactaid tablets.

Herbal teas> Sorry, I've always liked herbal tea. But then, we only had a cat for about a year when I was a kid.

I have noticed though that since I've had IBS, I feel a lot less guilty about pitching unspoiled food. Either it's going to hurt me bad or it just tastes bad. My inner cheapskate is appalled. My outer cheapskate has learned to live with it.

#232339 - 12/18/05 06:41 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I managed to avoid a lot of what you list - age and experience do have their advantages. For example, I knew darn good and well that I was never going to eat anything called "fish sauce", so I just walk right by recipes that call for it. Fake meat, ditto. Amy's Pizza, ditto.

I did encounter candied ginger for the first time as a result of a muffin recipe on this Board and love it (I love Keds, too). And I like all the "mati" rices - Bas, Kas, Jas, Tex. The different directions aren't a problem for me - it doesn't matter if I've made a recipe 1 time or 10,000, I always read the directions again.

I have to agree with you about herbal teas - I've learned to enjoy some of them, but it's like they say: you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince. Luckily, my husband is one of those weird (to me) people who truly love herbal teas and has always drunk them, even though he doesn't have to. Thus most of my errors end up in his mug - although there have been a few even he won't drink. Oddly, a couple of the ones we both found horrible were big favorties of some other people. I guess that's what makes horse racing.

Vegan mayo does make me shudder. On the other hand, I have no trouble with soy sour cream in cooking and I find soy cream cheese acceptable. And I agree with Snorkie about Luna Bars - they don't send me but they're super handy for food emergencies. Given a choice, I'd only ever eat the peppermint one.

I think I'm often saved from myself because my husband and I frequently grocery shop together. When I pick up something bizarre or pick up too much of something, he gives me "that look". Usually, I put it back.

One thing he can't save me from is spices - I can always explain I have to have this strange spice for a new recipe. That's not just since Heather's diet, though - I still have the jar of pickling spice I bought for a chicken recipe I made more than 5 years ago. It was okay, but not so great I've had a yen to make it again. The Star Anise, though - that's Heather. Haven't made the recipe yet, either, have I?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#232343 - 12/18/05 07:33 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

FF Soya Kaas soy cheese. Yuck. That stuff tasted like rubber.

O'Soy soy yogurt. Bleh. Silk is 100 times better.

I recently bought some vegetarian "meatballs" that were pretty disgusting, too.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#232356 - 12/18/05 08:37 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Most of the soy cheeses I end up pitching. Until I switched to Hellman's Lite mayo I tried to use Kraft FF..gross. And none of the fake meat products have gotten past a few bites. And I have a fine collection of absolutely gross herb teas! I love the peppermint, fennel and chamomile. I like to try different things mentioned on these boards, like the soy cream cheese. It does bother me to pitch so much food but I got over it.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#232413 - 12/18/05 01:56 PM
Emily H.

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Luxembourg, LU

Quote:

I have noticed though that since I've had IBS, I feel a lot less guilty about pitching unspoiled food. Either it's going to hurt me bad or it just tastes bad. My inner cheapskate is appalled. My outer cheapskate has learned to live with it.

Amen. I felt so guilty about throwing out the egg yolks at first, and now I'm completely shameless.

For me, Stonyfield farms soy yogurt (I guess that's o'soy) is the only edible alternative. Silk tastes like pez. Ugh!

And actually, I hate fish sauce on its own, but Pad Thai is a wonderful dish that does use some. That being said, it's currently sitting in the back of my fridge, staring at me every time I open the door.

The person I feel most sorry for is my mother. I've only had IBS a year, so at first I was just figuring stuff out, and my eating habits changed pretty frequently. So, I'd go home from college, she'd get a whole bunch of the stuff I was eating, and I'd finish maybe half of it. Then, by the next time I was home, I wasn't eating it anymore, and she'd have to repurchase. The poor woman. By now, luckily, I'm pretty stable in my desires.

LOL! One woman's trash is another's treasure... new
      #232436 - 12/18/05 03:55 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

So many of the things on your "ick" list are things I can't live without... or wish I could get up here. I LOVE Rice Dream and Panda licorice. My pantry is never without basmati rice, non-dairy creamer, candied ginger, herbal tea, and Luna bars. And I like powdered soy milk for cooking. As for the Boca stuff, I think it's great, but I can never afford to buy it.

In fact, if we lived near each other, I'd come over and take ALL of your discards, haha.

But I do agree with the soy cheese verdict. BLECH. And soy yogurt? I wasted my money on this TWICE, thinking that maybe I just got a bad batch. Horrible stuff.

I've ditched all the soy things tried, too! new
      #232444 - 12/18/05 05:17 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I have been dissatisfied with all the soy things I've ever tried. However, I am happy with Rice Parmesan Cheese! I use Rice Dream most days & love it!

And I even frequently use Fish Sauce as I love Thai Flavours!

Vinegars, herbs, spices, MUSTARDS, are more my passion, I think.

I enjoy most rices, EXCEPT BASMATI for some bizarre reason!
I cannot stand the smell, but hey--maybe it's a past life thing! I love rice pasta, too (but too lazy to spoil myself, lately & fake the cooking thing).

I cannot tell you how many types of cereals, snack foods, cookies/crackers, breads I've tried & tossed.

In general, I find keeping the raw ingredients as plain/pure/simple the best policy.

I'm totally over the inner guilt over trashing something that makes me feel quite ill--or even returning it. If it's a dry good, I often will donate it to the food bank.

One final note (and I have YOU GUYS to thank): I am elated with my recent purchase of a rice cooker. It makes life a breeze (as well as perfect rice that I'll eat)!

Kate.

you sound more like me.. except new
      #232744 - 12/20/05 05:40 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I dont' have soy subs in teh house- never iked sour cream, so why have soy.. and most soy cheese has carageenan which I can't have, same for Rice Dream... mostly if I've bought it I've eaten it...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#233912 - 12/27/05 09:21 AM
shelley29

Reged: 08/25/04
Loc: Northeast, USA

A very enjoyable post to read, I can identify with it as well. I did find that sour supreme sour cream is very tasty with green onion dip mix & baked lays. I LOVE chips & dip, but I only indulge once in a while. The cream cheese was NASTY. This makes me realize I should give my pantry a good clearing out - as much as I hate to waste stuff, I did go overboard in the beginning!

--------------------
-shelley
take it one day at a time.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 486 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3662

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review