All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Pumpkin apple spice bread - question
      #231151 - 12/13/05 04:18 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

I usually make this with fresh pumpkin (well, I cook the pumpkin and freeze in zip lock bags for when I make this bread)...and it turns out wonderfully! I ran out and recently made it with can pumpkin, it looked great and didn't do anything differently, however it was not cooked in the middle, I even put it back in the oven for 15-20 more minutes and still didn't cook, so I had to throw it away!!

Any ideas on what may have went wrong??? Thanks, greatly appreciate it!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I have no idea, but... new
      #231154 - 12/13/05 05:02 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I sometimes find that happening with my banana breads - no idea why, sometimes it won't cook in the middle, but most of the time it will. Maybe it's because the canned pumpkin is so much more dense? I find that a tablespoon of cornstarch mixed in with the dry ingredients helps.

Re: Pumpkin apple spice bread - question new
      #231388 - 12/13/05 06:28 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I have a different question about this bread. A few times I've wanted to make this bread, but I never have any apples. I never have anything fruity in the house that isn't pureed and canned, so don't suggest subbing canned pears or chopped bananas. Which, actually, both sound really gross anyway. So you think I could just totally omit the apples and maybe jack up the spices a bit?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#231476 - 12/14/05 08:11 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The apples don't really get incorporated, so I don't know why you couldn't just leave them out. The bread is pretty dense and the apples break that texture up a little, but I bet it would still taste good. I'd try the recipe as is (without extra spices) - it's pretty spicy anyhow.

If you do try it without apples, please post how it turned out. I don't always have apples around either and I love this bread.

Hmmm. I wonder how it would be with some nuts instead of the apples. It would crank up the (already high) fat calories a little, but maybe just a palmful. Or fresh cranberries. (A tip of the hat to Maria's Low-Fat Pumpkin Cranberry Bread for both those thoughts.) Or even a few frozen blueberries.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#231654 - 12/14/05 04:34 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I think I might try this Sunday if I have time.

The great pumpkin unapple spice bread experiment!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: I have no idea, but... new
      #232415 - 12/18/05 02:09 PM
Emily H.

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Luxembourg, LU

Two comments:

1) I almost always make my pumpkin bread without apples, and it turns out just fine (with canned pumpkin). Sometimes the baking takes longer, but it eventually finishes. When I'm feeling really decadent, I throw in a bagful of dark chocolate chips (no dairy, even in the real ones). Works for the banana bread, too.

2) Related question: Apples have been given me trouble recently, even applesauce and baked in bread. They make me, um, rather loose. Has anyone ever had this problem? I thought apples were safe??

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 204 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1906

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review