All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Store bought brownie mix...???Help please!!
      #22955 - 10/09/03 02:01 PM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

I bought a store brand brownie mix and need some help!!
It calls for 2 eggs and 1/2 cup oil. With the eggs I can do 4 egg whites...but what about the oil? How should I sub this? Canola oil? Applesauce? If so how much!

Also it says it has Cocoa processed with Alkali. Is this ok? It also has vegetable shortening and partially hydrogenated soybean or cottonseed oil...is this a problem?

The box says 1.5 grams of fat. That's just the mix. Does this sound safe?

Thanks for you help!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Store bought brownie mix...???Help please!! new
      #22966 - 10/09/03 03:06 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I exchanged the oil with equal amounts of applesauce. It was a while ago but I think they turned out pretty good. They were a bit cakey though.

Re: Store bought brownie mix...???Help please!! new
      #22975 - 10/09/03 03:56 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

I just made some last weekend and this is what I did. First off, I purchased the Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie mix in the bag. It needed less oil than the others. I used 2 egg whites in place of the one egg and in place of the ¼ cup oil I used mostly applesauce and only about 1TB of oil to fill the ¼ cup up. I think I could have used all applesauce, but since this was to "prove" low fat foods can taste good too, I used a little oil. Everyone was very pleased and actually didn't believe that they were low fat. It sounds like you have a larger package, which should be the same ratio as the one I used for a 8" square pan. (mostly applesauce with 2 TB oil to fill ½ cup and 4 egg whites).

Re: NO PUDGE BROWNIES... mmmmmm new
      #23157 - 10/12/03 07:59 AM
kiks

Reged: 08/19/03

I know this has been posted before (thanks MAGS!!!) but I just wanted to mention it again, because these brownies are great! I've only made the Original, but I can't wait to try the raspberry and the mint. They are totally IBS safe, and all my friends love them! I found them at a health food store (Wild Oats) but the mix can be bought on-line at www.nopudge.com.
A question for anyone who's made them before-- Do you suggest soy yogurt as the substitution? Has anyone tried anything else? I ended up using 3/4 cup vanilla instead of 2/3 because it seemed too thick.
Good luck from a fellow chocoholic

Re: NO PUDGE BROWNIES... mmmmmm new
      #23159 - 10/12/03 08:20 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I use a whole 6 oz. container of Silk vanilla soy yogurt. It does seem really dry at first and hard to mix in, but if you keep at it for a minuute or so, it becomes smooth and easier to mix. It is quite a workout though - it makes me feel like I've earned the brownie!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 130 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2161

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review