All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
super quick meals for college students?!
      #227985 - 11/29/05 12:44 PM
tayjay

Reged: 11/28/05
Loc: Auburn University, Alabama

Hi all! I am a college student on the run. But unfortunately unlike most other college students I can't just grab McD's or Mac & Cheese and go...unless I actually want to have to "GO". It's difficult to eat the right things because I don't have a lot of time to prepare my meals. Does anyone have any ideas for super quick, safe meals ready to eat in say....5-10 minutes?

--------------------
Taylor
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: super quick meals for college students?! new
      #227992 - 11/29/05 12:52 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Thai Kitchen Rice Noodle soups. They come packaged in plastic like ramen. I think they also have some that come with a bowl now too, but I haven't tried those.

Add some water and nuke for 5 minutes.

#227997 - 11/29/05 01:01 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I can't think of anything right now except tuna and peanutbutter sandwiches, Luna Bars, bean dip or hummus with French bread or baked tortilla chips... So I did a search ("fast lunches") and found links to similar discussions:

Quick lunch ideas .

Packed Lunches

HTH!

#228004 - 11/29/05 01:18 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hey,

you could easily make a quesadilla with cheese substitute

Spaghetti with sauce. Angel hair cooks in 5 minutes and sauce is mircowavable. They also make turkey meatballs that cook in the micro in about 5-7 mins.

Subway or Panera Turkey sandwiches

Chicken Noodle Soup cans

potato salad with fat free mayo, and/or red wine vinegar subbed for mayo. Takes longer to make, but stays well in fridge to grab and go.

Tuna/Turkey/Chicken wraps

I make boboli pizza a lot, it cooks in about 10 mins. I usually sub cheese for a lot of veggies. Or you could use bbq sauce as sauce and add pre cooked shredded chicken.

GOOD LUCK. hope this helps.

Macaroni Salad.. Cook pasta, drop in a bag of prechopped veggies, mixed with fat free italian dressing and italian herbs.

--------------------

#228005 - 11/29/05 01:19 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

oh also.. baked potatoes cook easily in the microwave. You could always top a baked potato with safe canned turkey chili, salsa, soy sour cream etc, pureed steamed or frozen broccoli etc.

--------------------

#228041 - 11/29/05 03:05 PM
tayjay

Thanks so much for all your helpful ideas! I'm going to try them all!!!

Taylor

--------------------
Taylor
IBS-D

#228044 - 11/29/05 03:15 PM
tayjay

Thanks for the links to quick lunches. Very helpful!!!

--------------------
Taylor
IBS-D

Re: What I lived on in University new
      #228066 - 11/29/05 03:47 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

- Campbell's Chunky Chicken and Vegetable soup in the can.
- Noodle packies (the kind you get 3 for $1) - they come with a little package seasoning with wavy thin noodles that cook in 3 minutes.
- Spaghetti sauce - read the labels and try a few to find your favourite can/jars of the stuff. Then cook your pasta and you're done. For a splurge if finances allow: soy parmesan.
- Lots of cold sandwiches - cold cut shaved turkey, chicken. They come in tons of flavours now. Add FF mayo, lettuce and mustard and you're DONE.
- English muffins with low fat peanut butter (read the labels - Eng Muf can sometimes have dairy
- There is a Skillet Sensations bag I like - it's Homestyle Country Chicken (or something like that). It has chicken, peas, carrots, potatoes and onion in a gravy. It has very small amounts of dairy - so if you're particularly sensitive to dairy - stay away but I can tolerate it. They used to make it without dairy and then they turned around and changed it and added it
- Rice, rice, rice. If you have a wok, or you can buy a non-stick small wok for about $15, chop up some veggies, add a bit of chicken, shrimp, a tad of oil, and stir fry. Add spices that you like and serve over rice. The nice thing about stir frying is it only takes a few minutes.
Hope this helps.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Alicia?? new
      #228186 - 11/30/05 07:41 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Those Ramen noodles that you get 3 for 1.00......are they safe??? I lived on those, too, when I was in college and stationed on the boat in the Navy (because the boat food was disgusting!!) but that was before IBS.

I love those things!! And they are soooo cheap!!
Would they hurt me, now, do you think or should I wait until I'm stable before trying them again???? Or should I just stay away from them, altogether??
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Be careful... new
      #228220 - 11/30/05 09:45 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

a) some of the sauce packets (most) have msg, and b) most ramen is fried.. but not all- if you can find the not fried ones they are safe.. but they aren't cheap like the other stuff!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Figures! I'm BROKE!! hehehehe ~nt~ new
      #228230 - 11/30/05 09:59 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: Be careful... new
      #228235 - 11/30/05 10:13 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

The Thai Kitchen soups similar to ramen are pretty cheap and they are safe! yummy!

--------------------

Re: Be careful... new
      #228356 - 11/30/05 03:42 PM
retrograde

yeah, unfortunately most of them are fried... i found that one out the hard way! ouch i used to eat those all the time - now that i'm actually in university i sure miss them! lol

Re: Alicia?? new
      #228708 - 12/02/05 07:44 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I would read the label. I have no idea what's in them nowadays, but I've always been able to tolerate them well. Make sure the noodles aren't made with egg yolk especially.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Figures! I'm BROKE!! hehehehe ~nt~ new
      #230952 - 12/12/05 10:17 AM
tayjay

actually i have found that the thai kitchen rice noodle soups come in packages very similar to ramen and they are only .89 cents each. They're cheap, quick, super yummy and healthy for you

--------------------
Taylor
IBS-D

Re: Thai Kitchen Soups new
      #230971 - 12/12/05 10:50 AM
karenleslie

Reged: 11/13/05
Loc: San Francisco, CA

I can totally vouche for the Thai Kitchen soups, I love them. My favorite is the Thai Ginger flavor. But, they come with a seperate oil and seasoning packet and when I am feeling iffy I leave out the oil.

They are really easy to add ingredients to, I usually add some fresh spinach to cook with the noodles and anything else appetizing sitting around the kitchen.

Another good quick food is spagetti squash. You can cook a whole squash (cut in half) in the microwave in twelve minutes and then keep a stash of it in the fridge to season a bowl at a time as you like. Its great both sweet and savory. I like it because I feel better about eating it than a bowl of pasta (better texture too).

Atleast its a vegetable, plus its a super safe food for most people.

--------------------
Karen

IBS-A

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 525 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7178

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review