All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
super quick meals for college students?!
      #227985 - 11/29/05 12:44 PM
tayjay

Reged: 11/28/05
Loc: Auburn University, Alabama

Hi all! I am a college student on the run. But unfortunately unlike most other college students I can't just grab McD's or Mac & Cheese and go...unless I actually want to have to "GO". It's difficult to eat the right things because I don't have a lot of time to prepare my meals. Does anyone have any ideas for super quick, safe meals ready to eat in say....5-10 minutes?

--------------------
Taylor
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: super quick meals for college students?! new
      #227992 - 11/29/05 12:52 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Thai Kitchen Rice Noodle soups. They come packaged in plastic like ramen. I think they also have some that come with a bowl now too, but I haven't tried those.

Add some water and nuke for 5 minutes.

#227997 - 11/29/05 01:01 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I can't think of anything right now except tuna and peanutbutter sandwiches, Luna Bars, bean dip or hummus with French bread or baked tortilla chips... So I did a search ("fast lunches") and found links to similar discussions:

Quick lunch ideas .

Packed Lunches

HTH!

#228004 - 11/29/05 01:18 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hey,

you could easily make a quesadilla with cheese substitute

Spaghetti with sauce. Angel hair cooks in 5 minutes and sauce is mircowavable. They also make turkey meatballs that cook in the micro in about 5-7 mins.

Subway or Panera Turkey sandwiches

Chicken Noodle Soup cans

potato salad with fat free mayo, and/or red wine vinegar subbed for mayo. Takes longer to make, but stays well in fridge to grab and go.

Tuna/Turkey/Chicken wraps

I make boboli pizza a lot, it cooks in about 10 mins. I usually sub cheese for a lot of veggies. Or you could use bbq sauce as sauce and add pre cooked shredded chicken.

GOOD LUCK. hope this helps.

Macaroni Salad.. Cook pasta, drop in a bag of prechopped veggies, mixed with fat free italian dressing and italian herbs.

--------------------

#228005 - 11/29/05 01:19 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

oh also.. baked potatoes cook easily in the microwave. You could always top a baked potato with safe canned turkey chili, salsa, soy sour cream etc, pureed steamed or frozen broccoli etc.

--------------------

#228041 - 11/29/05 03:05 PM
tayjay

Thanks so much for all your helpful ideas! I'm going to try them all!!!

Taylor

--------------------
Taylor
IBS-D

#228044 - 11/29/05 03:15 PM
tayjay

Thanks for the links to quick lunches. Very helpful!!!

--------------------
Taylor
IBS-D

Re: What I lived on in University new
      #228066 - 11/29/05 03:47 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

- Campbell's Chunky Chicken and Vegetable soup in the can.
- Noodle packies (the kind you get 3 for $1) - they come with a little package seasoning with wavy thin noodles that cook in 3 minutes.
- Spaghetti sauce - read the labels and try a few to find your favourite can/jars of the stuff. Then cook your pasta and you're done. For a splurge if finances allow: soy parmesan.
- Lots of cold sandwiches - cold cut shaved turkey, chicken. They come in tons of flavours now. Add FF mayo, lettuce and mustard and you're DONE.
- English muffins with low fat peanut butter (read the labels - Eng Muf can sometimes have dairy
- There is a Skillet Sensations bag I like - it's Homestyle Country Chicken (or something like that). It has chicken, peas, carrots, potatoes and onion in a gravy. It has very small amounts of dairy - so if you're particularly sensitive to dairy - stay away but I can tolerate it. They used to make it without dairy and then they turned around and changed it and added it
- Rice, rice, rice. If you have a wok, or you can buy a non-stick small wok for about $15, chop up some veggies, add a bit of chicken, shrimp, a tad of oil, and stir fry. Add spices that you like and serve over rice. The nice thing about stir frying is it only takes a few minutes.
Hope this helps.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Alicia?? new
      #228186 - 11/30/05 07:41 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Those Ramen noodles that you get 3 for 1.00......are they safe??? I lived on those, too, when I was in college and stationed on the boat in the Navy (because the boat food was disgusting!!) but that was before IBS.

I love those things!! And they are soooo cheap!!
Would they hurt me, now, do you think or should I wait until I'm stable before trying them again???? Or should I just stay away from them, altogether??
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Be careful... new
      #228220 - 11/30/05 09:45 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

a) some of the sauce packets (most) have msg, and b) most ramen is fried.. but not all- if you can find the not fried ones they are safe.. but they aren't cheap like the other stuff!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 141 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7176

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review