All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Re: Angelfood cake/Pam spray
      #227230 - 11/25/05 10:40 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

It said on the mix not to grease the pan, so I didn't, but MY FIRST EVER ANGELFOOD CAKE stuck & ended up semi-burnt/extra-crispy. For the sequel, should I Pam Spray the pan? Please advise.

Yes, indeed, I suck at baking. Another warped question. If I replace the water with Sprite how would the cake turn-out?
Just wondering if anyone has done this.

Kate.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Angelfood cake/Pam spray new
      #227236 - 11/25/05 11:45 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

If you grease the pan, this will affect the way it rises -- it won't be able to "cling" to the sides of the pan. I'm guessing it will still turn out but will probably be a lot denser. Are you using a traditional angel food pan? You shouldn't need to grease it. Just don't burn it! And, after you take it out of the oven, cool it upside down (the pan should have little feet to support it). Just in case, put a plate under it before flipping it over. I find sometimes it falls out. Usually, though, after it's cooled, turn it back over, run a knife around the edges, turn it back upside down, and it'll come right out.

You can also line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper if that's where it's sticking.

Yikes, replacing the water with Sprite ... not really sure how this would affect it. Angel food cake is all about chemistry, so it might not affect it for the good. I'd have to ask what the point would be, though. If it's for the flavor, I'd just add a bit of lime and/or lemon juice. (Most commercial mixes already have a hint of lemon.) Sprite is also going to make it taste sweeter. I am not sure that the egg whites would whip as well with an acidy carbonated beverage ... but hey, give it a shot. Doesn't hurt to try! (Unless like the Sprite has a freakish reaction and explodes in the oven, starting a massive house fire.)

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Angel food is a fussy thing to make.... new
      #227245 - 11/25/05 12:18 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Definitely no PAM. NEVER. The burning likely had to do with the temperature of your oven, not the lack of grease. I wouldn't dare trying to replace the liquid with a pop - angel food cake can go flat even if just a teeny bit of egg yolk gets in it. It's that fussy and delicate.

My no-fool way? Make them into individual muffins. Get a regular muffin pan (2), line it with paper cups and fill 24. They bake evenly, all of them rise, and there's no dirty pan to contend with, and they slide out easily. Plus, they're fun to serve - just top with some fresh or frozen fruit and a little fat free cool whip. Done!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Thanks Alicia! new
      #227247 - 11/25/05 12:27 PM
Wind

I like the Mange an Ange cupcake idea. Thankfully, I bought 2 mixes...Maybe I'll have another Betty Crocker/Easy fake & Bake moment later. I won't attempt to spike them!

Kate.

Re: One more question, Alicia, s.v.p. new
      #227248 - 11/25/05 12:29 PM
Wind

This is about Weight Watcher's Bread--you mentioned it on the fitness board. Was it "safe" for you (the white, of course)? Just wondering as I'm aching for a nibble of toast and maybe organic jam.

Kate.

Re: Sorry, sweetheart...didn't see your post... new
      #227249 - 11/25/05 12:37 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I found the WHITE WW bread to be just fine. I just read the ingredients. It contains glucose/fructose - I don't know if you have a sensitivity to that. It lists milk and egg as a "may contain traces of". I've NEVER had a problem eating it.

Regular jam without HFCS should be perfectly safe, too. I LOOOOVE Grape Jelly!!!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Sorry, sweetheart...didn't see your post... new
      #227264 - 11/25/05 02:09 PM
Wind

Thanks. I'll try 1/2 a slice soon. I have some organic blackberry jam

Kate.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 119 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3925

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review