All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How do you make your turkey?
      #226738 - 11/22/05 03:03 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

this is my first year making thanksgiving dinner...so i'm all nervous!!! i was thinking for the turkey i'd do the stuffing that is in the recipe exchange.....but for the turkey itself, i was going to put some spices in the skin (cut little slits in the skin) and put some onion, maybe garlic, orange peels...any other ideas? i'm also putting a whole orange in the cavity, it's suppose to retain moisture that way...any suggestions??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How do you make your turkey? new
      #226764 - 11/22/05 05:05 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

I once cooked a turkey upside down for the first half of cooking (breast down) then turn it over to brown the breast...it turned out really juicy because the breast was in the juices. I personally like just plain old stuffing inside (breadcrumbs, savory...etc.)

good points.. new
      #226825 - 11/23/05 05:45 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

when I make it indoors its either in a covered roaster or breast down and covered until the last hour or so for browning... and I put an orange/onion/lemon or mix of the latter 2 in the cavity- stuffing is cooked outside the bird... you can lift the skin and slide all kinds of yummies underneath it.. sage, rosemary, thyme, garlic, etc.. before cooking..

this year its a non issue- Bill is smoking it.. with rosemary, applewood chips and tangerine peels to infuse flavor.. smoked at home makes the yummiest birds.. and he's going to brine it first in something yummy to- just nto sure what exactly this year...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: good points.. new
      #226846 - 11/23/05 08:59 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

my mom swears by those plastic bags for cooking turkeys - roasting bags? something like that. you just put the (stuffed) turkey in the bag, with vegetables and herbs, and let it go - they make the juiciest, most tender turkeys i've ever seen. then you slit the bag open for the last bit to brown the skin. sorry i don't have details - i think there are instructions on the bag's box.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Re: How do you make your turkey? new
      #226859 - 11/23/05 10:31 AM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

thanks guys!! i'll try it upside down!! at least for the first half or so,.,thats' a really interesing way to do it!

i'm not putting stuffng in it, only because i'm prego, and that was something a few people had mentioned is the stuffing doen'st always get to the "safe" temp...i'm in the food business too...so i'm extra careful with that!!

thank you so much!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 296 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1332

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review