All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Some cooking questions...
      #225107 - 11/15/05 10:16 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

With Christmas coming I have a MIL who doesn't always know what to get me but loves to buy things for my kitchen so I am trying to see what appliances are necessary to put on my wish list. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

1.Double Boiler?? I have seen it in a few of Heather's recipes.What is it and what is it good for?

2. recommendations for a good brand of non-stick pans. My pans are T-Fal and they are from about 7 years ago. They are horrid and I would love some new ones!

3. Iron Skillet? What is the difference of cooking things in this instead of a regular one? I noticed one of the Thanksgiving recipes Candied Sweet Potatoes say to use this.

4. Any other suggestions of things that might be handy in the kitchen to use?

Thanks everyone!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Some cooking questions... new
      #225136 - 11/15/05 11:49 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Not sure of the other things, but as for the double boiler question, here's a few to give you an idea of what they look like: http://fantes.com/double_boilers.htm You basically boil water in the bottom pot and the "pot" on top cooks from the steam given off by the bottom pot.

Well, one thing that might be handy if you like to cook with garlic is a garlic press...I just got one as a wedding gift (one that actually works too! LOL), and I love it. I can't remember the brand name, but if you're interesed, I can let you know when I get home....

#225139 - 11/15/05 12:00 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Double boilers...I dont' know why, but these scare me. I haven't used mine yet.

Non-stick pans: Calphalon, the midgrade set with the glass lids they sell at Bed, Bath, & Beyond. They are not exactly cheap (mine were all wedding gifts, I admit), but I love, love, love, them.

Iron skillet: I know there's more to it, but things cooked in cast iron have a different (better) flavor. That being said, I don't like cleaning cast iron, so I don't use it that often.

Kitchen gadgets: I have one of those little electric chopper thingies. Comes in handy when I don't feel like chopping. Oh, and one of those apple peeler things. It peels, cores, and slices...and it's fun to use.

#225153 - 11/15/05 12:25 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Double boilers are typically used for cooking things that would normally scorch if put directly over the burner... you see it a lot in recipes that call for melting chocolate, but also a lot of creamier sauces, and some recipes that call for eggs to be incorporated, call for one too.

I have crappy nonstick pans, so I'll skip that one.

Cast-iron pans are kind of a pain to clean, but I don't think anything beats them as far as heat conductivity and even cooking. I use mine when I'm roasting meat/poultry - it can be seared on the stovetop, and then tossed in the oven to roast - and for some "old-fashioned" bread/cake recipes, like cornbread. Plus, they're typically pretty cheap, and if you take care of them, they'll last a lifetime, unlike a lot of nonstick pans.

Bonus - I just learned this this past weekend: you can actually thaw frozen meat in them. Put it on the stove - no heat - and put the frozen meat in it. Cast iron acts like a heat sink (cold sink?) and apparently will thaw meat faster than any other method except the microwave.

Other kitchen things I can't live without: my slow-cooker, my bread machine, and a GOOD set of knives. On MY wishlist this year is an ice-cream maker.

#225157 - 11/15/05 12:33 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I recommend a rapid chopper.

http://www.cookingtoys.com/store/0801221.html

that is what the look like. the one I have is from crate and barrel and I love it.

what about a slow cooker and a wok. I LOOOOOVE MINE.

--------------------

Re: My favourite toys.... new
      #225214 - 11/15/05 02:17 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

1. Bread machine
2. Rice cooker
3. Braun multimix (mini chopper)
4. Crockpot
5. Enamelware - comes in all colours. I have a small enamel roasting pan that I use ALL the time - cleanup is a breeze - throw it in the dishwasher, marks and all. No need to pre wash or soak. Great for stove and oven cooking. (NOT micro)

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: My favourite toys.... new
      #225277 - 11/15/05 05:45 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Loc: Maryland

oh alicia.. you reminded me!

I love my rice cooker. Thats also from crate and barrel. The rice tastes fabulous cooked this way. Just like from an asian food restaurant. sticky but not mushy. YUMMY.

--------------------

Anything from Pampered Chef if you like to bake! new
      #225281 - 11/15/05 06:09 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I use most of their stoneware and the chopper. I don't think there is anything from Pampered Chef that I don't like.

I love my crockpot...rice cooker...salad spinner...ooooh the list goes on!

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

#225288 - 11/15/05 06:22 PM
Angela E.

Thanks Melissa! The double boiler isn't as scary as I thought! I do have a garlic press and love it.

#225290 - 11/15/05 06:24 PM
Angela E.

Thanks Snorkie! I do have an apple peeler corer thing too! I know what you mean about the double boiler but Melissa showed me a link and it doesn't look to scary! I would love some new Calphalon pans but I don't think they are quite in my MIL budget. I was thinking maybe Farberware!

#225291 - 11/15/05 06:27 PM
Angela E.

Thanks Casey! I think the cast iron skillet is one I am going to ask for from her. She has one and would love to get me something she raves about all the time! I didn't know that about thawing things though! That's crazy!

#225292 - 11/15/05 06:29 PM
Angela E.

Ashley I actually have one from Pamperd Chef and love it! I have been thinking about a new slow cooker. Mmmm so many ideas. She will have a list a mile long!

Re: Anything from Pampered Chef if you like to bake! new
      #225293 - 11/15/05 06:31 PM
Angela E.

Rachel I love Pampered Chef things! I actually want to have another party so that I could get some new things. Maybe I'll do one before the holidays! That would be fun!!

#225297 - 11/15/05 07:12 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

If you're looking for lower-end non-stick (I can't afford Calphalon either), I have Wearever non-stick pans. They're four years old and still look great.

I have a double boiler but never use it. One of those pre-IBS wedding gift things I never use. It sits up on a shelf right next to the deep fryer. I initially wanted it because I used to melt chocolate so much.

If you think you want a cast iron pan, do a search on Google on their care. You can't just scrub it out with lots of soap and a sponge. I personally get kinda grossed out by cast iron pans.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pampered Chef new
      #225299 - 11/15/05 07:15 PM
poochibelly

It would be a great way for your guests to do some Christmas shopping!

Do you have plenty of pyrex dishes? What about the ones that come with an insulated holder? We do a lot of potlucks so those come in very handy.

I think my favorite kitchen item is a Kitchenaid Mixer. They are pricey but they last forever...you can pass them down for generations.

Someone else (I think Dr. Spice ) mentioned a wok. I have one too and I love it.

--------------------

I didn't know it either! new
      #225303 - 11/15/05 07:23 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Adam's father was just telling me about that this past weekend... I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I'm going to! It's too weird not to!

Slow cooker..... new
      #225326 - 11/16/05 03:34 AM
*Melissa*

If you don't have one of those, go for that! I don't know how I'd live without mine! LOL

lets see.. new
      #225330 - 11/16/05 04:18 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04

I don't use nonstick so can't speak there.. but I love my All Clad pots and pans! as to the rest:

cast iron is cheap, durable and oh so usable.. I love it.. DH hates cleaning it... same with my stoneware- they both really make a difference in cooking!

double boiler- a glass bowl over your favorite pot will work.. or a metal one even!

As to other gadgets:

Ice cream maker.. meijers carries a 20$ one that works well.. and doesn't need more then ice and salt, but has a motor, so no storing in the freezer of a big ring! and you can make multiple batches in a short period.. one of yours adn one with dairy...

bread maker... I can't wait to replace ours...

I use the food processor and mixer a lot too...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#225331 - 11/16/05 04:19 AM
khyricat

oh thanks for the reminder... I love their stuff and my apple parer/corer/ slicer is a lifesaver.... preps apples for anything even nukable applesauce in next to no time!

If you have a party- invite me?? DH will kill me but I can see spending money at one!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

tell me about it.. new
      #225332 - 11/16/05 04:21 AM
khyricat

mom never had one growing up but I can't live without them- we have 3 in 3 sizes and sometimes more then one is going on a given day.. and with me probably going on afternoons it will become how to make dinner.. I can start it in the AM and DH can finish it in the evening or I can stop it before bed and have it the next day!

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Have y'all seen those bags... new
      #225382 - 11/16/05 07:48 AM
poochibelly

that you can line your slow cooker with? I bought some and probably won't use them unless I am making queso or something. They are nice to have though.

--------------------

Re: Have y'all seen those bags... new
      #225401 - 11/16/05 09:41 AM
*Melissa*

I did see those. I thought those would be good for the kind where the crock part (or whatever that is called) doesn't come out to make cleanup much easier. Luckily, mine comes out. Plus DH does the cleaning up, which is even much easier!

pardon me, what's queso?? It Sounds GOOD! mmm, hungry! :-) n-t new
      #225415 - 11/16/05 11:53 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

cheese dip.....~nt~ new
      #225421 - 11/16/05 12:14 PM
poochibelly

--------------------

#225463 - 11/16/05 01:48 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

You know I almost sold PC. I was tempted but when my uncle passed away last week I started thinking and I just didn't have the time.

I like my electric tea kettle but it's not exactly a kitchen appliance. I like my stoneware and chopper too. Oh and the cookie scoop I use for muffins.

like quessadilla? man those were GOOD n-t new
      #225483 - 11/16/05 02:53 PM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

nope... new
      #225494 - 11/16/05 03:30 PM
poochibelly

queso is totally NOT IBS friendly. I make mine with Velveeta Cheese and Rotel tomatoes...when feeling industrious I add a can of chili w/no beans and a pound of groud hamburger meat. Then you serve it with tortilla chips.

It is a staple at most Texas parties....

--------------------

Re: nope... new
      #225496 - 11/16/05 03:47 PM
Snow for Sarala

Got it! Thanks for the info...for taking the time to explain!!! *hugs*

Hope you are well and have a super duper Turkey Day *hugs* (I know I'm a bit earlir...but I can wish you one again next week, right?) :-)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Absolutely! new
      #225515 - 11/16/05 05:09 PM
poochibelly

The ingredients for Queso (kay-so) is always good to have on hand if you entertain or your hubby likes it! It's easy to make though messy to clean up!

--------------------

Wow! new
      #225517 - 11/16/05 05:14 PM
Angela E.

Thanks everyone! These are all really good ideas! I am thinking of asking for either 1)new cookware 2) cast iron skiilet 3) new bread machine 4)new slow cooker. She shouldn't have a problem with finding me something with that list!

Angela, do you have a rice cooker? Those are "the bomb"!!!!~nt~ new
      #225537 - 11/16/05 06:05 PM
poochibelly

--------------------

Re: Queso... new
      #225555 - 11/16/05 07:02 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

"Queso" is just the Spanish word for cheese. It sounds like you're making "queso con salsa" or "queso con tomates?" My parents are native Spanish-speakers, but it's more like my second language so maybe I'm unaware of the colloquial expression or meaning for "queso" in the Southwest?

I think that it is "chili con queso"... new
      #225596 - 11/17/05 05:13 AM
poochibelly

but everyone here just calls it "queso". Us Texaaaaans are known for our drawls so I guess this time we just shortened the word altogether!

--------------------

Re: Angela, do you have a rice cooker? Those are "the bomb"!!!!~nt~ new
      #225619 - 11/17/05 07:02 AM
Angela E.

No I don't. I don't eat alot of rice so I am not sure if I would get alot of use out of it. I did think about that though.

Re: I think that it is "chili con queso"... new
      #225620 - 11/17/05 07:07 AM
Snow for Sarala

Hey y'all!

So I don't wanna hijack this thread any longer...I'm gonna post about Texas and things in the LR...won't ya come see me sometime?

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: I think that it is "chili con queso"... new
      #225634 - 11/17/05 08:27 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yeah, chili con queso! Yum! I really miss eating cheese sometimes.

Re: Rice Cookers new
      #225644 - 11/17/05 09:05 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Any brand recommendations?

Kate.

microwave rice cooker new
      #225735 - 11/17/05 12:50 PM
khyricat

I have a regular one, but the microwave one I got (posted info here ages ago- search on it) is the best thing in creation- takes 11 minutes to cook a cup of rice, 15 for 2... and I can make it at work fresh or whatever and the entire thing goes in the dishwasher when I'm done...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#225942 - 11/18/05 07:11 AM
retrograde

Mine's made by Cuisinart - around $50 at Sears I think. My mom has the same one. I love it! It can do so many things... cook rice and any other grain... steam fish and veggies in the steamer tray that sits on top... you can even sautee stuff in the bottom of the pot. You can easily make a whole dinner in that thing and just leave it until it's done. And all the parts are dishwasher safe, which is a huge bonus!

This thread is making me want so many fun kitchen goodies for xmas now! Like a bread maker, electric chopper, apple peeler, new non-stick pans...

#225981 - 11/18/05 09:46 AM
poochibelly

I have had an expensive one and npow I have one from Wal-Mart and am just as happy with it. The ones from Japan are the best but I am not going there any time soon!

--------------------

#226029 - 11/18/05 11:30 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I have a microwave rice cooker - it works FANTASTIC and you would never know that it was microwaved!! Here is a link to the one I have. I highly recommend this! You can also use it to steam veggies and even to pop popcorn - although popcorn wreaks havoc on my tummy - it's still a pretty cool option. And this is very inexpensive!!

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=125670

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: Rice Cookers, THANKS All! new
      #226043 - 11/18/05 12:24 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

It sounds like they are WORTHWHILE!

Actually, I know I'd eat rice if I had a cooker, so I'll get a cooker! Quite likely I'll just pop over to Zellers or the Bay and select one.

Your input is valuable and thank you, again.
I KNOW I need to eat more rice.

Kate.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 112 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20939

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review