Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Brocomoli...I need a recipe KATE
      #224962 - 11/14/05 05:50 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

My poor diet is limited to:

Corn, broccoli, cauliflower, carob, chocolate, sugar (yech) white bread (crackers usually have something I can't have in em'!!), pears, potatoes (sweet digest best), most lettuce, peas, mushrooms, carrots, and if I think of anything else I'll add it Oh and oil and oregano and garlic powder and basil.

NO vnegars, dressings, topings, etc. If it's not on the list I cannot eat it

So...I miss avocado fiercly!!!! I would LOVE an avocado sub. I cannot recall where/when I saw you, Kate, mention brocomoli! If you would deliver the recipe, I would be so greatful!

If you are not Kate and you have any recipe ideas with the foods listed above I will be SO greatful!

Thanks *hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Brocomoli...I need a recipe KATE new
      #224964 - 11/14/05 06:05 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

BROCCO-MOLE (broccoli puree/sauce)

Ingredients:

--broccoli flowerets (basically as much as you feel like cooking) (I've been known to cook 1/2 dozen broccoli at once)

--optional: onion, garlic (or onion or garlic powder, if desired) herbs of choice (if desired), stock or broth if desired.

Instructions:

1. Boil/steam broccoli florets in salted water until cooked/soft.
2. Drain
3. Mash, i.e. like you'd mash potatoes
4. Food process, stirring a few times to make sure it's creamy like mashed potatoes
5. If onion or garlic is being used, cook/brown either in Pam Sprayed skillet or like I do, in the microwave and add in stage four.

Afterwards, I like to garnish it with herbs that suit my mood. I always think that tarragon really clicks with broccoli. If I add vinegar, I do so afterwards, but truly it doesn't need any whatsoever. It's a wicked side/dip. Fabulous with potatoes! You can even toss them in. This rocks in omelettes/frittatas. It's an awesome pasta sauce.
Carrots, any type of mushrooms really co-ordinate with this staple in my fridge. It's a great mushroom stuffing/sauce, spaghetti squash sauce, etc.

Be creative. Hope that's helpful, Ruchie. It's faster/easier than mashed/whipped potatoes. It should be the consistency of mashed potatoes, incidentally.

It transforms, quickly, into a great soup with the addition of a little broth, incidentally. A good bread and maybe some carrots on the side and there's a great lunch.

Kate.

Light Guacamole, made with peas new
      #224972 - 11/14/05 07:12 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Ruchie,
I've never made this but I thought of it when I read your post. It's in the Low Fat & Light Four Ingredient Cookbook.

1) 1 (20 ounce) bag frozen peas, defrosted
2) 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
3) 1/2 bunch green onions, diced
4) 1/4 cup picante sauce

In blender, blend peas, lime juice and onions. (Personally, I'd cook the onions first. Even just nuke them for 3 min on medium, to kill some of the strength) Remove to mixing bowl and mix in picante sauce. Not sure how that fits in with your restrictions but maybe you can sub something? Refrigerate until ready to serve. Seve with fat-free tortilla chips.

Per Tablespoon:
Calories: 9.29
Total fat: 0.03g
Saturated fat: 0g
Sodium: 13.82mg
Protein: 0.56g
Carbohydrate: 1.80g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Fiber: 0.62g

Incidentally, the Low Fat & Light Four Ingredient Cookbook has a ton of really great, easy recipes. A lot of them are not safe (dairy, red meat, etc) but many of them are safe or are easily modified. I always jazz up the recipes with some extra seasonings -- 4 ingredients doesn't exactly do it for me -- but it's a good starting point, especially for beginner cooks.

I hope this helps, or that at least someone else can use it!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: Brocomoli...I need a recipe KATE new
      #225032 - 11/15/05 07:21 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

ooh- sounds yummy I miss broccoli but I haven't found a way its not a trigger, maybe pureed this much it won't cause gas!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

RUCHIE- new
      #225034 - 11/15/05 07:24 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

look for water crackers.. they are normally made like matza. flour and water.. thus safe.. I will try to think of other things for you I know I have some good soup recipes calling for those things.. and some extras to make the broth flavorful you could always pull out- my triclk to veggies I can't eat!

can you have parsnips/turnips if they are well cooked- they turn any combination of the veggies you mentioned into a yummy broth!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

No lemon juice, no onions, not even green, new
      #225037 - 11/15/05 07:35 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

not even cooked not even powdered.

No vinegar, no lime juice, no tomatoes, no turnips.

It doesn't matter how well it's cooked. If it's not on that list it will give my bladder a YOUCH!

You ladies ROCK for thinking of me...please DO keep trying! *hugs* I know I will find things to do with these foods...it just takes time!

So far I make : baked potatoes, corn on the cobb, potatoes with a bit of olive oil and oregano and salt, (yum!) I eat pears, pears, and more pears (they are quite delicious boiled...I feel very spoiled when I eat them!) so...there must be things I haven't thought of yet!! I HOPE!!

Will you kee trying for me? Please do not give up!! *hugs*

Love, Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Ruchie, those are optional! new
      #225230 - 11/15/05 03:01 PM
Wind

Ruchie, broccomoli doesn't need garlic or onions or lemon or vinegar. I just like to "spike" mine for that extra, shall we say, "bang!" (had to bum an "EMERIL-ism," sorry!)

Alot of days, I eat it just plain...with complimentary other foods. It really rocks with mushrooms, trust me. Ditto for potatoes. I'm sure it would be wicked with pasta or corn or rice, as a pizza crust topping, etc.

Kate.

Re: khyricat new
      #225231 - 11/15/05 03:04 PM
Wind

Pureed, it doesn't give me much of a problem. Doing so breaks down the heavy duty fibers.

I love eating in in conjunction with a mushroom dish. It's pretty good with zucchini in some, way, shape or form. It rocks with spaghetti squash. Pretty good with red potatoes, as well.

Kate.

AWESOME AMANDA!! new
      #225280 - 11/15/05 06:02 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

What a great idea! you're such a sweetie for typing that whole thing up to help ruchie out.

I might need to try it too. I love guac, and peas is an awesome new addition!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 463 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3654

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review