All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Hypoglycaemic diet - Ideas Needed!
      #224728 - 11/14/05 06:18 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'm seriously considering going on a diet for hypoglycaemia as I know I have problems with this and it impacts badly on my Fibro. But I need ideas of what to eat!

I won't be able to have Pasta, White Rice or Potatoes at all.

I'll be allowed 3 slices of bread a day and can substitue one slice of bread for a tortilla or a rice cake. Oatmeal and gluten free grains are allowed in moderation...I think!

So all my usual safe basics for luches, snacks and dinners are out and I need ideas! So far I'm thinking somehow using squashes and other SF veg to cushion the IF....but that's as far as I've got! Any ideas will be very welcome!

Edited by Linz (11/14/05 06:24 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hypoglycaemic diet - Ideas Needed! new
      #224736 - 11/14/05 06:51 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Try reading through Kate/Wind's posts on the Fitness board, she doesn't do grains really, lots of veggies and fruits.

SF buffer ideas: Applesauce, mushrooms, carrots, zucchinis, spaghetti squash, soy (that's SF, right?), bananas, mangoes....

Is quinoa allowed? That's a good rice sub. I love the stuff. They even make quinoa and corn pasta which is tasty.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: Hypoglycaemic diet - Ideas Needed! new
      #224833 - 11/14/05 10:50 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Linz!

You're going to turn into WONDERWOMAN! There are a zillion high SF fruits and veggies. Also, with a few tricks of funky blades, you can make veggies look the shapes of things like rice/pasta.

Can you have red potatoes? I think they're lower glycemic.

Soy, obviously is high SF and low glycemic and you mentioned that it makes your tummy feel good. How about "quorn?" I don't know much about it as we don't have it available in Canada, yet. You can do tons with mushrooms.

My all time favourite pasta substitute is spaghetti squash.

I'm not sure how legumes sit with you.

I've got tons of ideas. I'm just not sure re: your tastes/food style.

Best wishes.

Kate.

Kate new
      #224870 - 11/14/05 12:50 PM
Linz

I've just been checking out some of your reports! Mushrooms are a fave of mine...what's the mushroom crumble? I'll have to see if I can get spaghetti squash.

Re: Kate new
      #224893 - 11/14/05 02:12 PM
Wind

Mushroom crumble is basically seasoned mushrooms. The mushrooms have been "ground" kind of like meat via the food processor. That's why I call them a "crumble." Basically, I just season and cook them after they've been ground. So, in that state they have tons of recipe adaptation potential.

They are SO FILLING!!!

Spaghetti squash really rocks. It can either be boiled or baked. Once cooked, you "pull" spaghetti-like strands out of the flesh with a fork and discard the shell. You could even try a tuna/fatfree mayo "salad" on top of that.

How do you do with eggplant?
It makes a fabulous dip/pate.

You can do zillions of things with zucchini. One thing I like to do (it's really simple) is eat it in shredded/grated/ or "slawed" form. It basically looks like what you'd use to make a loaf or muffins. I like carrots that way, too. Note: I cook both. Sometimes I'll mix in a few egg whites and then heat. Other times, I just use it as a kind of "rice" substitute or filler. Grated fennel bulb works, too. "Scallop" the zucchini and it's like "scalloped potatoes." I use it to sub for potatoe or yam/sweet potatoe fries. Sometimes I'll blend in some beet for colour.

Those are a few thoughts. It's nothing for me to eat a pound or so of zucchini in a sitting. Seriously. Ditto for mushrooms.

Kate.

Linz- good luck! new
      #225009 - 11/15/05 06:11 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

a few notes I've learned over the years- I've been hypoglycemic LONG before I was diagnosed with IBS.. I can do pasta sometimes as long as I eat slower digesting sugars after it... same with potatoes, etc.. just not as much as I was before and I need to make sure they are followed by proteins and slower digesting sugars (vegetables, fruits, etc..) so it still works for this diet somewhat.. I eat too much pasta sometimes, but its a personal favorite.. and i love humus on cucumber or carrot.. oh- I have a neat tool that is supposed to be an apple corer but its longer then most and I use it to core cukes so the nasty IF seeds are gone and I can use them for SF...

pasta sauce is yummy on asparagus, spaghetti squash and a zillion other veggies too!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Linz- good luck! new
      #225091 - 11/15/05 09:28 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi Linzers!!!

I think that sweer potatoes are lower glycemic? Someone correct me if I'm wrong!!

Millet, quinoa, brown rice, polenta...if your tummy can handle them, you're in for an AWESOME treat!!! You can buy puffed millet at the hfs and it is just grand

Polenta! I used to make this as a side dish for hubby (meal for me) baked in homemade tom. sauce...mmm! HUBBY even liked it!

Spaghetti squash!!!! MMMMMM! Kate got me hooked on it! Butternut squash cut up into chunks and baked or roasted in the oven with a bit of olive oil and salt is just wonderful

Can you eat spinach and avocado? I used froz. spin. mixed with veggie broth and avocado to taste...yummy delicious cream of spinach soup!

Leaves stuffed with brown rice dipped in low fat Italina dressing....mmm!

The list is endless!

I'll keep thinking...but let us know what you like! (Btw...I think all of those recipes were Kate originals except the roasted butternut squash...that one I got from my grandma )

Love you...you're gonna feel GREAT when you do this btw!!!

Fibro begone!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Yo, Ruchie! re: ground puffed millet cereal new
      #225189 - 11/15/05 01:19 PM
Wind

Now, I'm intrigued. What uses are there for ground puffed millet cereal? This has potential, I think. I actually used to love puffed millet cereal/millet. Ditto for plain puffed corn cereal and puffed rice cereal. (Must be some latent childhood styrofoam complex, lol!)

Just curious. What would/could one do with ground puffed millet? (sorry, I just thought millet would be really funky with wild mushrooms.)

Kate.

I know I'm a zillion years late responding Kate..and Linz, new
      #228436 - 12/01/05 07:39 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I was saying the puffed millet was grand!!

I can't even imagine ground puffed millet..it would be SO tiny!!

Linz, how are you doing so far? How's this working out for you? Update, please!!

One more thing: Linz, this diet basically means eating your veggies in place of breads/pastas/potatoes? Are fruits ok? This is fascinating, thanks!!!

Love,

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Hey Ruch new
      #228461 - 12/01/05 09:16 AM
Linz

Well I'm severely limiting anything with a very high GI (or at least that's the idea) and I'm having moderate amount of medium GI foods and as much as I want to low GI foods.

Fruit is medium Gi I think...anyway, I'm restricted to one piece or 100g berries every four hours.

Fat and IF lower the GI of medium-high GI foods. SO if I have potatoes, pasta or rice, I have a small portion of that and then lots of veggies and safe protein with it. As I'm not very sensitive to fats and can stand occasional dairy I have used those as buffers - I was out at a fayre on Sunday and the only food I could eat was jacket potato, so I had some of the potato and all the cheese...did okay.

Oh and I'm allowed 3 pieces of bread or tortillas a day and a max of 2 at one time. That was from Fibromyalgia:The First Year and it seems to work...it really helps being able to have a little of the high GI SF foods.

Oh and someone on another board suggested this tip for really cheating - eat nothing for a few hours before or after the cheat and be prepared to have a nap if neccesary after eating it! Works great for those days when you've just GOT to have chocolate ice cream or something! I'm def going to use this for desserts over Christmas.

It's working great altogther! My energy levels are up, my cravings are alot less (and are restricted to chocolate anyway! ) and I've lost 2 pounds since I started on the diet...with no conscious calorie restriction (less cravings has got to be helping that tho)!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 265 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13071

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review