All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Problem solved! new
      #228666 - 12/02/05 12:41 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'm a doofus to not suggest this before! Your own copy of my little GI book will be on it's way to you later today!

It's great as it doesn't push any of the specific diets but just explains some of them and then has the tables of food, with them coded red, yellow or green depending on their GI rating. YOu can eat as much "green" foods as you want, some yellow foods and red foods should be avoided or eaten in small quantities occasionally buffered by lots of green foods. Easy peasy.

I haven't been diagnosed officially with hypoglycaemia but I've known since I was about 12 that I have problems with my blood sugar - low blood sugar is a major migraine trigger for me. I decided to change my diet after reading Fibro: The 1st Year and realising I had almost all the symptoms of both acute and chronic hypoglycaemia. Having made the change I won't be going back as it's helping so much!

PS. Can you email me your postal addy so I can check I've got it right?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Linz- sorry I didn't post sooner.. but... new
      #228677 - 12/02/05 04:28 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I am hypoglycemic, was diagnosed long before IBS diagnosis.. what I've found works best for combining the 2 is a) eating more often as I have a bit more leeway on my blood sugar stuff and b) eatign a lot of proteins.. every meal even a simple snack has protein in it.. also not a ton of processed sugar unless its at the same time as the protein, same with potato/bread, I can have white of both, but I need to combine it with protein... and I seem to find ADB's ok in moderation because there is protein in them, especially if I eat a small piece of jerky first... veggies are good, fruits on occasion in small amounts, but the big one is the proteins! Luna bars are still ok because they do have a fair amount of protein to offset as long as I'll have something more shortly thereafter...

Good luck!

I can do 5 meals a day if I need to but I feel much better when I fit in 6... there are some other good suggestions in this forum and a few I may add to my own cooking (some have things DH won't touch with a 10 ft pole!)

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Sorry to butt in here... new
      #228718 - 12/02/05 08:39 AM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

But wow, you guys are totally speaking to me! I have been struggling the past few months with my diet, and finally decided that a low GI diet would work best for me. I too find that sugar really flares up my fibro and makes me feel all sluggish and blah. However, I have NO self control atm. I think, like Ruchie, I need a clearly outlined plan...I was researching diets for both fibromyalgia and PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) that could be adapted for IBS (sounds impossible, doesn't it??)...and I came upon the paleolithic diet (aka hunter/gatherer, caveman diet). It's a low GI diet based on primitive man's diet. The recipes in the book I bought sound delicious, though I have yet to really get my butt in gear and try any of them. Plus, it's a little too rigid for my tastes at the moment....but it gives some good guidelines!

Anyhow, I would love to see a sample itinerary of the meals you prepare Linz, if you don't mind? It sounds like you have actually implemented what I have only thought of doing. I KNOW I need to be on a low GI diet. When I have actually tried going low GI in the past, I have felt like a new woman with boundless energy! Right now I am in the middle of a fibro funk and have cravings galore, so restricting myself sounds impossible

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

Not a prob! new
      #228723 - 12/02/05 08:55 AM
Linz

Well I'm not doing the diet 100% perfectly atm but I'm really feeling the good effects and the more I cheat badly, the more convinced I get that I need to do this! I guess it's kinda like the IBS diet in that respect...and also in that once you've been on the diet for a while and can really see the effects you can work out what you can cheat on without bad consequences!

Sorry I'm rambling!

Typical Linzy day....
Breakfast: Oatmeal with 100g frozen raspberries and blueberries (I mix the oatmeal and then nuke it so it comes out hot AND the fruit is all mushy so even safer for the IBS).

Lunch: Tuna mayo, Avocado, maybe some leftover cooked veg and usually either a slice of bread or a tortilla.

Snack: PB! Maybe 1 slice of toast. Fruit (only 1 piece or 100g berries every our hours).

Dinner: Baked fish and a well cooked stir-fry/stew of thinly sliced zucchini & carrots, mushrooms, chopped peppers, basically whatever veg we have in the fridge!

Hope that helps! It's well worth it!

Re: Linz? new
      #228726 - 12/02/05 08:57 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Are you going to keep on posting at the IBS Fitness board? I think it would be great to know what you're eating to manage the IBS, fibro, and hypoglycemia. No pressure, of course.

Thanks Linz! new
      #228937 - 12/02/05 10:06 PM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

It definitely helps to see a sample menu. I agree with Spasmtastical -- you would make a great "IBS/Fibro/Hypoglycemic" role model on the fitness board I can hear the chants now....Linz, Linz, Linz...and the crowd goes wild....raaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!! hehe.

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

Re: Hypoglycaemic diet - Ideas Needed! new
      #229431 - 12/05/05 02:22 PM
jenix

Reged: 10/04/05
Loc: warwickshire,England

ermm hi - er call me thick but wats hypogly - watsit ?

--------------------
-- jenix --

Re: Hypoglycaemic diet - Ideas Needed! new
      #229445 - 12/05/05 02:53 PM
Linz

Hypoglycaemia literally means low blood sugar. Hypoglycaemia as a medical syndrome is when after you get a blood sugar peak (eg. after you've eaten something sweet) your body reacts TOO much, producing too much insulin to deal with the sugar so the blood sugar level bottoms out. Acute symptoms inc. dizziness, fainting, tremors, palpatations and chronic symptoms inc. fatigue, headaches, etc...

Re: Eggplant? (Cyndy) new
      #235468 - 01/03/06 01:22 PM
Saveena

Reged: 11/22/04
Loc: Texas

I can't seem to find Heather's babaganush recipe anywhere on this site. If some one has it linked, please let me know?

Thanks!
Lisa

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 297 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13215

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review