All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Re: Hey Ruch new
      #228463 - 12/01/05 09:24 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

So, how did you begin this diet? Wer eyou already off sugar? I am eatinmg the stuff like nuts (literally like you would eat nuts...only it's jelly beans )

I think I will have to go cold turkey again. And switch meds. And THEN perhaps do your "diet". It sounds so healthy!

How can I find the specifics of it? Is it written down somewhere? I will do well if I can map out meals for myself, make sense?

Sugar truly makes me ache! Do you find it makes your fibro flare?

i'm thrilled you are doing so well Linz!!

P.S. I used to eat brownies and fall asleep and then feel better and I never knew why! SO cool...our bods really do talk to us

Love you *hugs*

CONGRATS on the weight loss......

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hey Ruch new
      #228500 - 12/01/05 11:28 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I was doing low sugar not very well - getting incredible cravings and eating stuff like four slices of PB&J on bread in a row! So I've gone a bit cold turkey.

Yep, sugar makes me ache and it makes me sooooooo tired. This diet is great!

There are lots of books out ther on GI diets. I found a little one in a bookshop that had synopses of the main GI diets in this country and then a directory of common foods and their GI rating. That's been very helpful - I found the notes (and the diet!) in Fibro: The 1st Year quite confusing.

Good luck! It's really worth the effort.

Oh!! Is GI Glycemic Index?? new
      #228506 - 12/01/05 11:33 AM
Snow for Sarala

I kept thinking GI, Gastrointestinal

Thanks Linz...I'll have to do some research.

If you have the names of books so I can check them out at that library, and it's not too much trouble, I'd be greatful!

I know that the South Beach Diet is way popular...but I'm leery of "fad diets" and I'm afrid it might be one. It's the only glycemic index based diet I'm aware of out there

Thanks again for your help! And I can totaly relate to your PB and J incidents...I practically did that this a.m.! LOL

Love to you!

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Yep! new
      #228510 - 12/01/05 11:39 AM
Linz

Sorry, I forgot how confusing that is.

I doubt the library would have my book as it's a tiny 3 pound one. But have a look for what's there under nutrition or something like that. My library had a few and there are loads in bookshops if you want to get ideas or invest in a cheap one.

If you can find one that has tables of foods and their GI rating, get that. I'm just learning about the GI rating's of foods and adapting my diet accordingly. I'm not bothering to follow any specific diet - one, b/c some of them are fads and aren't healthy (eg. atkins), two, b/c it's too diffcult with the IBS (eg. south beach would be a nightmare) and three, b/c I'm not doing this to lose weight (although that's a very welcome side effect) but to feel better in myself.

Hope that helps!

Re: Yep! new
      #228519 - 12/01/05 11:55 AM
Snow for Sarala

I'm sorry, I can't recall, were you diagnosed with hypoglycemia?

My naturopath (also a nutritionist!) diagnosed me as borderline hypoglycemic. But he left for Israel before we could set up a diet/guidelines on how to eat.

I'm just scared (anxiety and OCD talkinghere) of finding the wrong diet. Something harmful. AND I am horrible at following guidelines. I have to take it literally and militantly

Mabe this can be a lesson in applying things liberally...i.e., following a diet not exact but using it o fit my needs? (Or is it my ADD/Ld's that make it ifficult to comprehend the big picture and so I have to understand all the details?)

Hmm...

Anyhow, thank you sooo much Linz! *hugs* I REALLY appreciate it! I am glad you feel better! It's import. to eat in a way that give our bods energy and nutrients instead of feeding it junk! (And yes, losing weight is part of it! We lose excess weight when we give our bods what they need instead of junk...takes too much energy to filter out junk, y'know!)

*hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Way to go Linz, and-- new
      #228520 - 12/01/05 12:01 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Way to go Linz, with your weightloss/habit modification. I hope it helps with your fibro & hypoglycemia.

I thought I'd share something that I've been playing with & loving--totally low g.i. and flexible.

It sounds gross, but I take a few zucchini and make a kind of slaw with them. Basically, it's the same process as grating/shredding for a muffin/loaf recipe. I salt/season and cook them (generally either nuke or bake/broil on a cookie sheet). I also like slicing them ultra fine like you might for scalloped potatoes. (I let the food processor do this).
I actually love mixing a few carrots in sometimes, or even grated potatoe. (It's really funky if you use different colours). I suspect that the zucchini "hash" or slaw would really rock with a bit of sweet potatoe, too! Definite funking up/adaptation potential (but due to nasty acid reflux at the moment I keep things VERY PLAIN & simple so they don't repell or burn!)

Another hugely satisfying mushroom idea (given to me by UWPONINE/Mandy)is "Mushroom crumbles." It's basically food processed mushrooms (tastes similar to meat, I suppose) and quick saute/season. It's funky if you put them in the oven to get a kind of crispy effect. Trust me, it's wicked and the SF is so low g.i., not to mention a great source of vitamin D and beta glucan.

Do you like eggplant? I'm enjoying it tremendously lately.
I love making eggplant chips--just eggplant slices baked on a cookie sheet, spritzed with Pam Spray. Be sure to salt, as eggplant is rather bitter and the salt "sweats" the bitterness out of them. Personally, I peel eggplant because the skins are rather tough (unless you find some japanese ones!). Eggplant guts are also good whipped as a condiment/side/topping--topped with a bit of parsley.

The fiber in vegetables lowers the glycemic load, tremendously--if you can tolerate them. Sometimes, playing with other blades (i.e. in cuts of veggies) is fun.

Kate.

Thanks for the ideas Kate! new
      #228526 - 12/01/05 12:10 PM
Linz

I'm eating alot of zucchini atm. Si's been making these great stir fries of very thinly sliced carrot, zucchini & other veg. He puts the lid on the wok so they cook in their juices and come out so yummy & safe! Kinda like your slaws I guess.

Def. got to try mushroom crumbles! Sounds great. And eggplant chips....cool!

All this safe IF is really helping my BMs too!

Eggplant? new
      #228534 - 12/01/05 12:38 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Is it safe even though it has seeds?

You guys are making me hungry! -nt- new
      #228547 - 12/01/05 01:21 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Re: Eggplant? (Cyndy) new
      #228624 - 12/01/05 05:25 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Sure, it's safe--or it can be! I believe Heather even has a Babaganush recipe/interpretation. It's so yummy pureed--really creamy. I know it would be great with pita or flatbread or baked tortilla chips. It's a divine potatoe condiment or dressing/dip for carrots!

Perhaps eggplant seeds in eggplant chips aren't as bothersome (at least to me) because they are baked. I prefer to peel the eggplant, too.

The beautiful thing about eggplant is that it compliments veggies such as mushrooms and zucchini so well, in so many ways.

Kate, IBS-D.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 467 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13194

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review