All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Hypoglycaemic diet - Ideas Needed!
      #224728 - 11/14/05 06:18 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'm seriously considering going on a diet for hypoglycaemia as I know I have problems with this and it impacts badly on my Fibro. But I need ideas of what to eat!

I won't be able to have Pasta, White Rice or Potatoes at all.

I'll be allowed 3 slices of bread a day and can substitue one slice of bread for a tortilla or a rice cake. Oatmeal and gluten free grains are allowed in moderation...I think!

So all my usual safe basics for luches, snacks and dinners are out and I need ideas! So far I'm thinking somehow using squashes and other SF veg to cushion the IF....but that's as far as I've got! Any ideas will be very welcome!

Edited by Linz (11/14/05 06:24 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hypoglycaemic diet - Ideas Needed! new
      #224736 - 11/14/05 06:51 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Try reading through Kate/Wind's posts on the Fitness board, she doesn't do grains really, lots of veggies and fruits.

SF buffer ideas: Applesauce, mushrooms, carrots, zucchinis, spaghetti squash, soy (that's SF, right?), bananas, mangoes....

Is quinoa allowed? That's a good rice sub. I love the stuff. They even make quinoa and corn pasta which is tasty.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#224833 - 11/14/05 10:50 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Linz!

You're going to turn into WONDERWOMAN! There are a zillion high SF fruits and veggies. Also, with a few tricks of funky blades, you can make veggies look the shapes of things like rice/pasta.

Can you have red potatoes? I think they're lower glycemic.

Soy, obviously is high SF and low glycemic and you mentioned that it makes your tummy feel good. How about "quorn?" I don't know much about it as we don't have it available in Canada, yet. You can do tons with mushrooms.

My all time favourite pasta substitute is spaghetti squash.

I'm not sure how legumes sit with you.

I've got tons of ideas. I'm just not sure re: your tastes/food style.

Best wishes.

Kate.

Kate new
      #224870 - 11/14/05 12:50 PM
Linz

I've just been checking out some of your reports! Mushrooms are a fave of mine...what's the mushroom crumble? I'll have to see if I can get spaghetti squash.

Re: Kate new
      #224893 - 11/14/05 02:12 PM
Wind

Mushroom crumble is basically seasoned mushrooms. The mushrooms have been "ground" kind of like meat via the food processor. That's why I call them a "crumble." Basically, I just season and cook them after they've been ground. So, in that state they have tons of recipe adaptation potential.

They are SO FILLING!!!

Spaghetti squash really rocks. It can either be boiled or baked. Once cooked, you "pull" spaghetti-like strands out of the flesh with a fork and discard the shell. You could even try a tuna/fatfree mayo "salad" on top of that.

How do you do with eggplant?
It makes a fabulous dip/pate.

You can do zillions of things with zucchini. One thing I like to do (it's really simple) is eat it in shredded/grated/ or "slawed" form. It basically looks like what you'd use to make a loaf or muffins. I like carrots that way, too. Note: I cook both. Sometimes I'll mix in a few egg whites and then heat. Other times, I just use it as a kind of "rice" substitute or filler. Grated fennel bulb works, too. "Scallop" the zucchini and it's like "scalloped potatoes." I use it to sub for potatoe or yam/sweet potatoe fries. Sometimes I'll blend in some beet for colour.

Those are a few thoughts. It's nothing for me to eat a pound or so of zucchini in a sitting. Seriously. Ditto for mushrooms.

Kate.

Linz- good luck! new
      #225009 - 11/15/05 06:11 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

a few notes I've learned over the years- I've been hypoglycemic LONG before I was diagnosed with IBS.. I can do pasta sometimes as long as I eat slower digesting sugars after it... same with potatoes, etc.. just not as much as I was before and I need to make sure they are followed by proteins and slower digesting sugars (vegetables, fruits, etc..) so it still works for this diet somewhat.. I eat too much pasta sometimes, but its a personal favorite.. and i love humus on cucumber or carrot.. oh- I have a neat tool that is supposed to be an apple corer but its longer then most and I use it to core cukes so the nasty IF seeds are gone and I can use them for SF...

pasta sauce is yummy on asparagus, spaghetti squash and a zillion other veggies too!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Linz- good luck! new
      #225091 - 11/15/05 09:28 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi Linzers!!!

I think that sweer potatoes are lower glycemic? Someone correct me if I'm wrong!!

Millet, quinoa, brown rice, polenta...if your tummy can handle them, you're in for an AWESOME treat!!! You can buy puffed millet at the hfs and it is just grand

Polenta! I used to make this as a side dish for hubby (meal for me) baked in homemade tom. sauce...mmm! HUBBY even liked it!

Spaghetti squash!!!! MMMMMM! Kate got me hooked on it! Butternut squash cut up into chunks and baked or roasted in the oven with a bit of olive oil and salt is just wonderful

Can you eat spinach and avocado? I used froz. spin. mixed with veggie broth and avocado to taste...yummy delicious cream of spinach soup!

Leaves stuffed with brown rice dipped in low fat Italina dressing....mmm!

The list is endless!

I'll keep thinking...but let us know what you like! (Btw...I think all of those recipes were Kate originals except the roasted butternut squash...that one I got from my grandma )

Love you...you're gonna feel GREAT when you do this btw!!!

Fibro begone!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Yo, Ruchie! re: ground puffed millet cereal new
      #225189 - 11/15/05 01:19 PM
Wind

Now, I'm intrigued. What uses are there for ground puffed millet cereal? This has potential, I think. I actually used to love puffed millet cereal/millet. Ditto for plain puffed corn cereal and puffed rice cereal. (Must be some latent childhood styrofoam complex, lol!)

Just curious. What would/could one do with ground puffed millet? (sorry, I just thought millet would be really funky with wild mushrooms.)

Kate.

I know I'm a zillion years late responding Kate..and Linz, new
      #228436 - 12/01/05 07:39 AM
Snow for Sarala

I was saying the puffed millet was grand!!

I can't even imagine ground puffed millet..it would be SO tiny!!

Linz, how are you doing so far? How's this working out for you? Update, please!!

One more thing: Linz, this diet basically means eating your veggies in place of breads/pastas/potatoes? Are fruits ok? This is fascinating, thanks!!!

Love,

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Hey Ruch new
      #228461 - 12/01/05 09:16 AM
Linz

Well I'm severely limiting anything with a very high GI (or at least that's the idea) and I'm having moderate amount of medium GI foods and as much as I want to low GI foods.

Fruit is medium Gi I think...anyway, I'm restricted to one piece or 100g berries every four hours.

Fat and IF lower the GI of medium-high GI foods. SO if I have potatoes, pasta or rice, I have a small portion of that and then lots of veggies and safe protein with it. As I'm not very sensitive to fats and can stand occasional dairy I have used those as buffers - I was out at a fayre on Sunday and the only food I could eat was jacket potato, so I had some of the potato and all the cheese...did okay.

Oh and I'm allowed 3 pieces of bread or tortillas a day and a max of 2 at one time. That was from Fibromyalgia:The First Year and it seems to work...it really helps being able to have a little of the high GI SF foods.

Oh and someone on another board suggested this tip for really cheating - eat nothing for a few hours before or after the cheat and be prepared to have a nap if neccesary after eating it! Works great for those days when you've just GOT to have chocolate ice cream or something! I'm def going to use this for desserts over Christmas.

It's working great altogther! My energy levels are up, my cravings are alot less (and are restricted to chocolate anyway! ) and I've lost 2 pounds since I started on the diet...with no conscious calorie restriction (less cravings has got to be helping that tho)!

Re: Hey Ruch new
      #228463 - 12/01/05 09:24 AM
Snow for Sarala

So, how did you begin this diet? Wer eyou already off sugar? I am eatinmg the stuff like nuts (literally like you would eat nuts...only it's jelly beans )

I think I will have to go cold turkey again. And switch meds. And THEN perhaps do your "diet". It sounds so healthy!

How can I find the specifics of it? Is it written down somewhere? I will do well if I can map out meals for myself, make sense?

Sugar truly makes me ache! Do you find it makes your fibro flare?

i'm thrilled you are doing so well Linz!!

P.S. I used to eat brownies and fall asleep and then feel better and I never knew why! SO cool...our bods really do talk to us

Love you *hugs*

CONGRATS on the weight loss......

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Hey Ruch new
      #228500 - 12/01/05 11:28 AM
Linz

I was doing low sugar not very well - getting incredible cravings and eating stuff like four slices of PB&J on bread in a row! So I've gone a bit cold turkey.

Yep, sugar makes me ache and it makes me sooooooo tired. This diet is great!

There are lots of books out ther on GI diets. I found a little one in a bookshop that had synopses of the main GI diets in this country and then a directory of common foods and their GI rating. That's been very helpful - I found the notes (and the diet!) in Fibro: The 1st Year quite confusing.

Good luck! It's really worth the effort.

Oh!! Is GI Glycemic Index?? new
      #228506 - 12/01/05 11:33 AM
Snow for Sarala

I kept thinking GI, Gastrointestinal

Thanks Linz...I'll have to do some research.

If you have the names of books so I can check them out at that library, and it's not too much trouble, I'd be greatful!

I know that the South Beach Diet is way popular...but I'm leery of "fad diets" and I'm afrid it might be one. It's the only glycemic index based diet I'm aware of out there

Thanks again for your help! And I can totaly relate to your PB and J incidents...I practically did that this a.m.! LOL

Love to you!

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Yep! new
      #228510 - 12/01/05 11:39 AM
Linz

Sorry, I forgot how confusing that is.

I doubt the library would have my book as it's a tiny 3 pound one. But have a look for what's there under nutrition or something like that. My library had a few and there are loads in bookshops if you want to get ideas or invest in a cheap one.

If you can find one that has tables of foods and their GI rating, get that. I'm just learning about the GI rating's of foods and adapting my diet accordingly. I'm not bothering to follow any specific diet - one, b/c some of them are fads and aren't healthy (eg. atkins), two, b/c it's too diffcult with the IBS (eg. south beach would be a nightmare) and three, b/c I'm not doing this to lose weight (although that's a very welcome side effect) but to feel better in myself.

Hope that helps!

Re: Yep! new
      #228519 - 12/01/05 11:55 AM
Snow for Sarala

I'm sorry, I can't recall, were you diagnosed with hypoglycemia?

My naturopath (also a nutritionist!) diagnosed me as borderline hypoglycemic. But he left for Israel before we could set up a diet/guidelines on how to eat.

I'm just scared (anxiety and OCD talkinghere) of finding the wrong diet. Something harmful. AND I am horrible at following guidelines. I have to take it literally and militantly

Mabe this can be a lesson in applying things liberally...i.e., following a diet not exact but using it o fit my needs? (Or is it my ADD/Ld's that make it ifficult to comprehend the big picture and so I have to understand all the details?)

Hmm...

Anyhow, thank you sooo much Linz! *hugs* I REALLY appreciate it! I am glad you feel better! It's import. to eat in a way that give our bods energy and nutrients instead of feeding it junk! (And yes, losing weight is part of it! We lose excess weight when we give our bods what they need instead of junk...takes too much energy to filter out junk, y'know!)

*hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Way to go Linz, and-- new
      #228520 - 12/01/05 12:01 PM
Wind

Way to go Linz, with your weightloss/habit modification. I hope it helps with your fibro & hypoglycemia.

I thought I'd share something that I've been playing with & loving--totally low g.i. and flexible.

It sounds gross, but I take a few zucchini and make a kind of slaw with them. Basically, it's the same process as grating/shredding for a muffin/loaf recipe. I salt/season and cook them (generally either nuke or bake/broil on a cookie sheet). I also like slicing them ultra fine like you might for scalloped potatoes. (I let the food processor do this).
I actually love mixing a few carrots in sometimes, or even grated potatoe. (It's really funky if you use different colours). I suspect that the zucchini "hash" or slaw would really rock with a bit of sweet potatoe, too! Definite funking up/adaptation potential (but due to nasty acid reflux at the moment I keep things VERY PLAIN & simple so they don't repell or burn!)

Another hugely satisfying mushroom idea (given to me by UWPONINE/Mandy)is "Mushroom crumbles." It's basically food processed mushrooms (tastes similar to meat, I suppose) and quick saute/season. It's funky if you put them in the oven to get a kind of crispy effect. Trust me, it's wicked and the SF is so low g.i., not to mention a great source of vitamin D and beta glucan.

Do you like eggplant? I'm enjoying it tremendously lately.
I love making eggplant chips--just eggplant slices baked on a cookie sheet, spritzed with Pam Spray. Be sure to salt, as eggplant is rather bitter and the salt "sweats" the bitterness out of them. Personally, I peel eggplant because the skins are rather tough (unless you find some japanese ones!). Eggplant guts are also good whipped as a condiment/side/topping--topped with a bit of parsley.

The fiber in vegetables lowers the glycemic load, tremendously--if you can tolerate them. Sometimes, playing with other blades (i.e. in cuts of veggies) is fun.

Kate.

Thanks for the ideas Kate! new
      #228526 - 12/01/05 12:10 PM
Linz

I'm eating alot of zucchini atm. Si's been making these great stir fries of very thinly sliced carrot, zucchini & other veg. He puts the lid on the wok so they cook in their juices and come out so yummy & safe! Kinda like your slaws I guess.

Def. got to try mushroom crumbles! Sounds great. And eggplant chips....cool!

All this safe IF is really helping my BMs too!

Eggplant? new
      #228534 - 12/01/05 12:38 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Is it safe even though it has seeds?

You guys are making me hungry! -nt- new
      #228547 - 12/01/05 01:21 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Re: Eggplant? (Cyndy) new
      #228624 - 12/01/05 05:25 PM
Wind

Sure, it's safe--or it can be! I believe Heather even has a Babaganush recipe/interpretation. It's so yummy pureed--really creamy. I know it would be great with pita or flatbread or baked tortilla chips. It's a divine potatoe condiment or dressing/dip for carrots!

Perhaps eggplant seeds in eggplant chips aren't as bothersome (at least to me) because they are baked. I prefer to peel the eggplant, too.

The beautiful thing about eggplant is that it compliments veggies such as mushrooms and zucchini so well, in so many ways.

Kate, IBS-D.

Problem solved! new
      #228666 - 12/02/05 12:41 AM
Linz

I'm a doofus to not suggest this before! Your own copy of my little GI book will be on it's way to you later today!

It's great as it doesn't push any of the specific diets but just explains some of them and then has the tables of food, with them coded red, yellow or green depending on their GI rating. YOu can eat as much "green" foods as you want, some yellow foods and red foods should be avoided or eaten in small quantities occasionally buffered by lots of green foods. Easy peasy.

I haven't been diagnosed officially with hypoglycaemia but I've known since I was about 12 that I have problems with my blood sugar - low blood sugar is a major migraine trigger for me. I decided to change my diet after reading Fibro: The 1st Year and realising I had almost all the symptoms of both acute and chronic hypoglycaemia. Having made the change I won't be going back as it's helping so much!

PS. Can you email me your postal addy so I can check I've got it right?

Linz- sorry I didn't post sooner.. but... new
      #228677 - 12/02/05 04:28 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I am hypoglycemic, was diagnosed long before IBS diagnosis.. what I've found works best for combining the 2 is a) eating more often as I have a bit more leeway on my blood sugar stuff and b) eatign a lot of proteins.. every meal even a simple snack has protein in it.. also not a ton of processed sugar unless its at the same time as the protein, same with potato/bread, I can have white of both, but I need to combine it with protein... and I seem to find ADB's ok in moderation because there is protein in them, especially if I eat a small piece of jerky first... veggies are good, fruits on occasion in small amounts, but the big one is the proteins! Luna bars are still ok because they do have a fair amount of protein to offset as long as I'll have something more shortly thereafter...

Good luck!

I can do 5 meals a day if I need to but I feel much better when I fit in 6... there are some other good suggestions in this forum and a few I may add to my own cooking (some have things DH won't touch with a 10 ft pole!)

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Sorry to butt in here... new
      #228718 - 12/02/05 08:39 AM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

But wow, you guys are totally speaking to me! I have been struggling the past few months with my diet, and finally decided that a low GI diet would work best for me. I too find that sugar really flares up my fibro and makes me feel all sluggish and blah. However, I have NO self control atm. I think, like Ruchie, I need a clearly outlined plan...I was researching diets for both fibromyalgia and PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) that could be adapted for IBS (sounds impossible, doesn't it??)...and I came upon the paleolithic diet (aka hunter/gatherer, caveman diet). It's a low GI diet based on primitive man's diet. The recipes in the book I bought sound delicious, though I have yet to really get my butt in gear and try any of them. Plus, it's a little too rigid for my tastes at the moment....but it gives some good guidelines!

Anyhow, I would love to see a sample itinerary of the meals you prepare Linz, if you don't mind? It sounds like you have actually implemented what I have only thought of doing. I KNOW I need to be on a low GI diet. When I have actually tried going low GI in the past, I have felt like a new woman with boundless energy! Right now I am in the middle of a fibro funk and have cravings galore, so restricting myself sounds impossible

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

Not a prob! new
      #228723 - 12/02/05 08:55 AM
Linz

Well I'm not doing the diet 100% perfectly atm but I'm really feeling the good effects and the more I cheat badly, the more convinced I get that I need to do this! I guess it's kinda like the IBS diet in that respect...and also in that once you've been on the diet for a while and can really see the effects you can work out what you can cheat on without bad consequences!

Sorry I'm rambling!

Typical Linzy day....
Breakfast: Oatmeal with 100g frozen raspberries and blueberries (I mix the oatmeal and then nuke it so it comes out hot AND the fruit is all mushy so even safer for the IBS).

Lunch: Tuna mayo, Avocado, maybe some leftover cooked veg and usually either a slice of bread or a tortilla.

Snack: PB! Maybe 1 slice of toast. Fruit (only 1 piece or 100g berries every our hours).

Dinner: Baked fish and a well cooked stir-fry/stew of thinly sliced zucchini & carrots, mushrooms, chopped peppers, basically whatever veg we have in the fridge!

Hope that helps! It's well worth it!

Re: Linz? new
      #228726 - 12/02/05 08:57 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Are you going to keep on posting at the IBS Fitness board? I think it would be great to know what you're eating to manage the IBS, fibro, and hypoglycemia. No pressure, of course.

Thanks Linz! new
      #228937 - 12/02/05 10:06 PM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

It definitely helps to see a sample menu. I agree with Spasmtastical -- you would make a great "IBS/Fibro/Hypoglycemic" role model on the fitness board I can hear the chants now....Linz, Linz, Linz...and the crowd goes wild....raaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!! hehe.

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

#229431 - 12/05/05 02:22 PM
jenix

Reged: 10/04/05
Loc: warwickshire,England

ermm hi - er call me thick but wats hypogly - watsit ?

--------------------
-- jenix --

#229445 - 12/05/05 02:53 PM
Linz

Hypoglycaemia literally means low blood sugar. Hypoglycaemia as a medical syndrome is when after you get a blood sugar peak (eg. after you've eaten something sweet) your body reacts TOO much, producing too much insulin to deal with the sugar so the blood sugar level bottoms out. Acute symptoms inc. dizziness, fainting, tremors, palpatations and chronic symptoms inc. fatigue, headaches, etc...

Re: Eggplant? (Cyndy) new
      #235468 - 01/03/06 01:22 PM
Saveena

Reged: 11/22/04
Loc: Texas

I can't seem to find Heather's babaganush recipe anywhere on this site. If some one has it linked, please let me know?

Thanks!
Lisa

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 214 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13072

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review