All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Re: Homemade applesauce & viscosity
      #224098 - 11/10/05 09:31 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'm no longer a homemade applesauce virgin! I'm just curious, though--is it supposed to be so THICK and naturally CREAMY???
Compared to purchased applesauce, homemade is so much more AMAZING!!! It's positively decadent. I feel absolutely positively spoiled rotten.

Perhaps, though, I'm making it incorrectly? I just let the apples simmer in a very small amount of water and then mash/puree.

Kate, IBS-D.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Homemade applesauce & viscosity new
      #224104 - 11/10/05 09:42 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

No idea... I always just peel and chop up my apples and microwave them for 5ish minutes, then throw them in the blender. And honestly it comes out almost exactly like storebought applesauce texture-wise (the flavour's always better though ). Maybe it's the kind of apples you're using? And hey, if it's coming out so great - you can't be doing it "incorrectly"!

#224178 - 11/10/05 06:12 PM
Wind

Thanks. I'm just beyond impressed with it. It must be the varieties of apples, as you said, that make it so unique and awesome. I've been using fujis, honeycrisps, galas, mutsu/crispin...sort of whatever apples I would have normally noshed raw once upon an era ago. I note that galas and crispins make really creamy sauces...but I think I like the flavour of the fujis and honeycrisps best, just because they are my favourites.

Anyways, mostly its nice to find a dessert/snack/sidedish/minimeal that I truly love and loves me back and is especially homemade by me for me.

Warped, I know. I must be going through some sort of Snow White complex.

Kate, IBS-D.

#224621 - 11/13/05 12:06 PM
JonnaP

Reged: 11/03/05
Loc: Kentucky

This was one of the first recipes I tried and Oh MY GOD! Thought it was just incredible. I wondered if I was doing it right too, when mine came out so darn thick. But, hey, if it tastes good - which it did - I can't be too far off base.

Mine came out quite thick, wihch I prefer to runny applesauce. Nmma Numma.

--------------------
Jonna, IBS-D

Re: JoannaP new
      #224631 - 11/13/05 01:08 PM
Wind

Okay, so I'm not the only one! Thanks for reassuring me. Honestly, it is positively decadent compared to the storebought stuff. Maybe it's the type of apples and their pectin forming capabilities that contribute to the difference.
Apparently, Jonagold apples, fujis, granny smith all have the highest pectin forming abilities.

Kate.

#224660 - 11/13/05 04:49 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Kate, I'm with you. I'm an applesauce snob. I hate storebought applesauce, but give me homemade and I'll eat a ton of it. I don't know why they can't make packaged applesauce as well... I've even bought organic that didn't contain any preservatives and it didn't taste the same. There's just something wonderful about making it yourself.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 234 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3586

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review