All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Re: Soy Milk vs Rice Milk new
      #223621 - 11/07/05 07:32 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Mmmkay. Well, first off, I've never been a milk drinker because I've been allergic to it all my life. So I couldn't tell you what a glass of milk tastes like, for instance.

I started out with rice milk - and preferring it over the soy milks I'd tried - because, as others have said, it's less creamy, a bit more watery. But then I switched to soy milk and I recently tried some plain rice milk on my cereal and was so revolted! Who knows... it just tasted so, well, ricey (For the record, back when I was liking it, I loved the carob flavour! Moreso the carob rice dream ice cream, but the milk was good to.)

I drink So Good's Fat Free Soy Milk exclusively now (well, I don't drink it; I never got in that habit... yuck... I put it over cereal, in tea, and bake with it). The full fat varieties are usually simply too high-fat for me, and I find the fat-free one is far less creamy than the ones with fat in them. I won't kid ya - soy milk does have a distinctive "soy taste" to it, and it's sweetened. And this variety does have a small amount of carageenan in it *I think* (don't have any in the fridge right now to check)... but it's never bothered me, even though carageenan in other things usually does.

I think some people prefer to cook with the unsweetened soy milks for savoury dishes like sauches, but honestly - I've never had a problem using the sweetened stuff for those kinds of things. A matter of preference I guess.

Phew! Well that was my long-winded not-milk manifesto, lol. Hope it helped!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#223624 - 11/07/05 07:49 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Depends on what I'm using it for....

On something like cereal, I really had no preference. BUT, for some reason, eating soy milk straight from the container makes my throat itch. If I have it cooked in something, I'm fine. Weird, I know. So, I stick with Rice Dream. I like Vanilla enriched.

For cooking I like to use plain soy milk. My personal preference is 8th Continent. I think it comes out thicker and creamier for cooking.

Except for cooking oatmeal...for some reason, I've found that using rice milk makes my oatmeal come out much creamier. I hate watery oatmeal.

Re: Thanks everyone! Soy Milk vs Rice Milk new
      #223650 - 11/08/05 06:24 AM
Grandma

Reged: 09/29/05
Loc: MO

I really appreciate all your feedback. I think I'll try both the Rice Dream & Silk and see which one I like the best

I love rice dream new
      #223664 - 11/08/05 07:46 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

and if I need soy for somehting I use soy dream. part of that is they are the only brands without CARAGEENAN- a migraine trigger for me... which is a thickening agent! maybe thats why I think they are thicker tasting... and I don't like that that much anyway...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#223671 - 11/08/05 08:54 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I prefer 8th Continent lite soy milk for most things. The regular is pretty good, too. However, do NOT use it for mac & (almond/soy) cheese. Well, unless you'd enjoy something that tastes like a cheese milk shake! That's the only time I've had problem cooking with it.

I probably like 8th Continent Lite because it's fairly sweet, and I have a sweet tooth the size of...oh, Chicago maybe.

#227614 - 11/27/05 01:30 PM
joan in CT

Reged: 01/10/05
Loc: Fairfield County, Connecticut

Hi- I love rice milk. Soy milk and soy products are not for me. I just can't seem to tolerate soy. I wish I could because soy has many product substitutions that rice milk doesn't have like cheese and yogurt. So, I always substitute rice milk. HOWEVER, I have never cooked with rice milk. I think I used rice milk in Heather's pumpkin apple bread, but maybe not. Is there milk in that recipe? I would like to hear from people who actually used rice milk in cakes or puddings. I have noticed that rice milk in instant pudding doesn't really thicken as much as I would like it to, but when I made pumpkin pudding using instant pudding and rice milk, the pumpkin took care of any thickening problems. Is there a secret for getting the rice milk to thicken with instant pudding? And can I use rice milk in a cake? If you use rice milk and know the answers please let me know. Thanks.

I use rice milk all the time new
      #227615 - 11/27/05 02:51 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

only in baking, since I've never been a big milk drinker. I've had no problems using rice milk in any sort of baking, just sub the amount of soy milk or real milk the recipe calls for. In puddings, try adding some cornstarch or arrowroot flour or all-purpose flour to thicken it if it's a little on the thin side.

Btw, rice cheese, rice butter, rice sour cream, and rice cream cheese do all exist, you just have to look. I've found all of them at my local Whole Foods (health food store)

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#227616 - 11/27/05 03:01 PM
arafel

Reged: 11/05/05
Loc: Amherst, Ma

Almond milk is another option. It has an amazing taste, very low in calories and fat, and it is in between soy and rice milk in consistency. I love it and have used it is baking.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 161 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7527

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review