All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Soy Milk vs Rice Milk
      #223473 - 11/07/05 05:25 AM
Grandma

Reged: 09/29/05
Loc: MO

I've never tasted any of these milks and I'm trying to decide which one I would like the best. I realize everyone has their own personal taste but I'd like to know which "milk" is preferred by most people? Do you all have a favorite one for cooking? TIA!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy Milk vs Rice Milk new
      #223497 - 11/07/05 09:03 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

RICE MILK, definitely.

Often, though, I'll just omit it if possible. I'm not big on "creaminess" and my food processor just makes things so ultra-creamy anyways.

However, rice milk (Rice Dream)is my choice/preference. It doesn't have carrageenan, which causes me tons of gi distress. Plus, it doesn't have that "bean" aftertaste of soymilk.

Kate, IBS-D.

#223531 - 11/07/05 10:50 AM
Grandma

Thanks for your feedback, Kate. Which "kind" of Rice Dream do you use? Click link below:

http://www.imaginefoods.com/pages/products/ricedream.php

#223559 - 11/07/05 01:12 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I think rice milk tastes most like skim milk - the way I described it to my boyfriend is that it tastes like the milk that's leftover in a bowl when you put it over sweetened cereal. Back when I used it, I always bought Rice Dream vanilla. I was mostly using it in herbal tea and other drinks, and over cereal, not for cooking.

For cooking, I greatly prefer soy milk. The texture is creamier, more like whole milk, and I think the protein in it makes it better for baking than rice milk (although I could just be imagining that, who knows, heh). I use Silk brand in the regular vanilla for just about everything baking- or dessert-wise, and the plain for more savory foods. I find that it doesn't have a heavy "soy" taste compared to other brands.

Re: So, Atomic Rose... new
      #223564 - 11/07/05 01:27 PM
Wind

Rice dream doesn't curdle in herbal teas? I have to test this out.

Maybe I hate soy milk so much because it's so creamy and similar to whole milk. You're right, though re: Rice Dream tasting most similar to skim milk leftover in the bowl for cereal lubrication.

Kate.

Re: Grandma, I use... new
      #223565 - 11/07/05 01:31 PM
Wind

I usually just grab a 2L of the one in the refridgerated section--usually plain enriched. I like the fact that it has all the same vitamin/mineral fortifications as milk. I've used vanilla as well and it's delicious--better for smoothies/desserts and even in Chai.

If there's nothing refridgerated, then I just get a tetra or two of either original or enriched.

Kate.

#223602 - 11/07/05 04:02 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I started out with Rice Dream vanilla (the kind in the box) and thought I liked it a lot, but now that I have been using Silk soy milk for so long, I recently tried Rice Dream again on my cereal and thought it was really gross. However, I think the Rice Dream is easier on the stomach than soy.

My favorite is Silk Very Vanilla. I also love Silk's chocolate milk, but don't buy it often 'cause it's kind of expensive.

Be careful about fat content. I bought a soy milk one time and it had like 50% calories from fat. Yikes.

I buy cheap generic plain soy milk in cartons to use for cooking stuff where a vanilla flavor would just be weird, like soups and breads and entrees. The problem is that it goes bad pretty fast, so I try to plan ahead to make stuff whre I can use up all of the milk.

I keep meaning to freeze plain soy milk in 1/2 C containers and see how it would hold up ... but haven't gotten around to it yet. Silk's website mentions freezing and says it isn't really a good idea, but that if you do it, don't freeze it in the original container and let it thaw in the refrigerator fully before using.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#223605 - 11/07/05 04:39 PM
tistenleigh

Reged: 10/16/05
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta .Canada

i was just looking at the different rice milks and was wondering if anyone knows what the Carob flavour tastes like? and if it's any good?

Nope! new
      #223615 - 11/07/05 06:38 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Mind you, I didn't use a ton of it - I just like a good splash of something in my redbush tea to make it not so... dark. But I never had any problems with it curdling at all.

Yeah, the creaminess of soy milk definitely keeps me from wanting to drink it - I was never a milk drinker to begin with - but it's definitely a better texture when I start making "cream" sauces and soups, and things like that.

I saw a new brand of rice milk new
      #223618 - 11/07/05 07:10 PM
Wind

It's called "Yu." It's basmati rice milk. I haven't tried it yet. It's basically the same as RICE DREAM and carrageenan free. I wonder if the basmati rice makes a flavour difference.

Kate.

#223621 - 11/07/05 07:32 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Mmmkay. Well, first off, I've never been a milk drinker because I've been allergic to it all my life. So I couldn't tell you what a glass of milk tastes like, for instance.

I started out with rice milk - and preferring it over the soy milks I'd tried - because, as others have said, it's less creamy, a bit more watery. But then I switched to soy milk and I recently tried some plain rice milk on my cereal and was so revolted! Who knows... it just tasted so, well, ricey (For the record, back when I was liking it, I loved the carob flavour! Moreso the carob rice dream ice cream, but the milk was good to.)

I drink So Good's Fat Free Soy Milk exclusively now (well, I don't drink it; I never got in that habit... yuck... I put it over cereal, in tea, and bake with it). The full fat varieties are usually simply too high-fat for me, and I find the fat-free one is far less creamy than the ones with fat in them. I won't kid ya - soy milk does have a distinctive "soy taste" to it, and it's sweetened. And this variety does have a small amount of carageenan in it *I think* (don't have any in the fridge right now to check)... but it's never bothered me, even though carageenan in other things usually does.

I think some people prefer to cook with the unsweetened soy milks for savoury dishes like sauches, but honestly - I've never had a problem using the sweetened stuff for those kinds of things. A matter of preference I guess.

Phew! Well that was my long-winded not-milk manifesto, lol. Hope it helped!

#223624 - 11/07/05 07:49 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Depends on what I'm using it for....

On something like cereal, I really had no preference. BUT, for some reason, eating soy milk straight from the container makes my throat itch. If I have it cooked in something, I'm fine. Weird, I know. So, I stick with Rice Dream. I like Vanilla enriched.

For cooking I like to use plain soy milk. My personal preference is 8th Continent. I think it comes out thicker and creamier for cooking.

Except for cooking oatmeal...for some reason, I've found that using rice milk makes my oatmeal come out much creamier. I hate watery oatmeal.

Re: Thanks everyone! Soy Milk vs Rice Milk new
      #223650 - 11/08/05 06:24 AM
Grandma

I really appreciate all your feedback. I think I'll try both the Rice Dream & Silk and see which one I like the best

I love rice dream new
      #223664 - 11/08/05 07:46 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

and if I need soy for somehting I use soy dream. part of that is they are the only brands without CARAGEENAN- a migraine trigger for me... which is a thickening agent! maybe thats why I think they are thicker tasting... and I don't like that that much anyway...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#223671 - 11/08/05 08:54 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I prefer 8th Continent lite soy milk for most things. The regular is pretty good, too. However, do NOT use it for mac & (almond/soy) cheese. Well, unless you'd enjoy something that tastes like a cheese milk shake! That's the only time I've had problem cooking with it.

I probably like 8th Continent Lite because it's fairly sweet, and I have a sweet tooth the size of...oh, Chicago maybe.

#227614 - 11/27/05 01:30 PM
joan in CT

Reged: 01/10/05
Loc: Fairfield County, Connecticut

Hi- I love rice milk. Soy milk and soy products are not for me. I just can't seem to tolerate soy. I wish I could because soy has many product substitutions that rice milk doesn't have like cheese and yogurt. So, I always substitute rice milk. HOWEVER, I have never cooked with rice milk. I think I used rice milk in Heather's pumpkin apple bread, but maybe not. Is there milk in that recipe? I would like to hear from people who actually used rice milk in cakes or puddings. I have noticed that rice milk in instant pudding doesn't really thicken as much as I would like it to, but when I made pumpkin pudding using instant pudding and rice milk, the pumpkin took care of any thickening problems. Is there a secret for getting the rice milk to thicken with instant pudding? And can I use rice milk in a cake? If you use rice milk and know the answers please let me know. Thanks.

I use rice milk all the time new
      #227615 - 11/27/05 02:51 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

only in baking, since I've never been a big milk drinker. I've had no problems using rice milk in any sort of baking, just sub the amount of soy milk or real milk the recipe calls for. In puddings, try adding some cornstarch or arrowroot flour or all-purpose flour to thicken it if it's a little on the thin side.

Btw, rice cheese, rice butter, rice sour cream, and rice cream cheese do all exist, you just have to look. I've found all of them at my local Whole Foods (health food store)

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#227616 - 11/27/05 03:01 PM
arafel

Reged: 11/05/05
Loc: Amherst, Ma

Almond milk is another option. It has an amazing taste, very low in calories and fat, and it is in between soy and rice milk in consistency. I love it and have used it is baking.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7449

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review