All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What's Cooking--Week of October 31, 2005
      #222256 - 10/31/05 09:02 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Tonight I'm going to try making Heather's Tuna Casserole.

And, when I came on here to post about it, I saw Casey's Slow-Cooker Chili, so now I want to make that tomorrow night! LOL

And, I also saw Low-Fat Pumpkin-Cranberry Bread, so I printed that out to try also. But that may not be till next weekend or next week, because I just made Apple Spice Pumpkin from EFI, so that will be reviewed in either this week's What's Cooking? or next week.

So many yummy looking recipes, so little time!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What's Cooking--Week of October 31, 2005 new
      #222273 - 10/31/05 10:41 AM
m_odonnell

Reged: 05/14/05
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I am making my ground turkey rice (I keep forgetting to post recipe), which is a regular in my house. I am trying 2 new recipes from my Light and Tasty magazine - Turkey Wraps and Shrimp w/Mustard Sauce. I will post them if they turn out any good!

Oh... new
      #222302 - 10/31/05 12:33 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Please post the recipe for turkey rice! Yummy! Is it white or brown rice? I'm a C and white rice tends to constipate me.

It amazes me.... new
      #222305 - 10/31/05 12:38 PM
Cyndy

...that people can use whole cups of onions and/or celery in their recipes! Doesn't it cause you mega gas?

And chili too...all the beans and chili powder, tobasco....gas ingredients and difficult spices. Are you really stable? Did you need to work up to these foods or can anyone eat them? I would love to eat chili again....but the ingredients scare me. I have much bloat and gas already! Do you have these symptoms ever?

Colorful Turkey Hamburger Rice Link new
      #222330 - 10/31/05 01:51 PM
m_odonnell

Reged: 05/14/05
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

OK - I posted the recipe. You can find it at Colorful Turkey hamburger Rice

Its yummy and makes tons of leftovers - lunch for almost the rest of the week! You can use either brown or white rice - I use white, but it doesn't matter.

#222341 - 10/31/05 03:49 PM
LindsayK

Reged: 04/15/05
Loc: Austin, TX

Yesterday I made Low-Fat Pumpkin-Cranberry Bread. I've made it before and just love how moist it is. Somehow I always forget to put in the nuts. I took some to work this morning and everyone gobbled it up.

We finally went out and bought a croc pot. Last night we had Slow Cooker-Moroccan Chicken. The chicken was wonderfully juicy. A skeptic at first, I'm now a true believer in the croc pot.

--------------------
Lins

#222399 - 11/01/05 02:55 AM
*Melissa*

So far I made the Tuna Casserole and YUMMMYYYY!!!! Mike said while eating it, "You can pack this up for me for lunch tomorrow!" It made a ton though! It said to put in a 9" pan, but I don't think it would have fit. I ended up putting it in a longer casserole dish. We got 6 hefty servings out if for sure. (We each had some last night, and I packed up 4 containers for lunches for us. Mike's are heftier than mine though! LOL)

Looking forward to the chili today. My store didn't have the Morning Star burger crumbles, so I got the Smart Life kind instead. Also, I thought I had kidney beans, but nope. I've got pinto though, so I think they should do fine. There is a recipe for chili on the back of them anyway. Hopefully it comes out yummy!

Re: It amazes me.... new
      #222400 - 11/01/05 03:26 AM
*Melissa*

On the tuna casserole, it really doesn't turn out to be that much you're eating. If you made it 6 servings (and I honestly think that should be more like 6-8 servings for the whole recipe, rather than 4-6), you only end up eating about 2-3 tablespoons of onion and a little over 1 tablespoon of celery. So, say about 1/4 cup total between the two. This has been cooked and pureed, so it's more tolerable. That on top of the insoluble of the macaroni, the mushrooms, and the potato chips....I had no problems at all. No gas either. I have just started taking digestive enzymes also. (I discovered them at the Fall Sprawl...I love these things!!! ) Before the enzymes, I probably would have taken Beano anyway because of all the soy in the recipe.

As for the chili....I don't eat beany stuff if I'm not feeling stable. But, the spices don't effect me at all. I'll also have this over rice or with baked tortilla chips, so it will be more tolerable.

I definitely get gassy/bloaty sometimes. But, I try to prevent that with the enzymes, phazyme/gas-x, and fennel.

HTH!

Re: Cyndy new
      #222512 - 11/01/05 10:11 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Hi! So, I'm wondering what you're currently able to eat. Are you getting enough calories and eating small meals throughout the day? Are you able to incorporate any sort of IF foods in some way? Or have you found any recipe on the boards that you're able to enjoy without increased as?

I'm just worried about you since you've been struggling for a while with this. I know some of the recipes scare me too, but I'm finding that if it's prepared safely and with enough IF (and if I make sure I don't overeat) I can actually tolerate GOOD food! That first step, of actually trying IF or experimenting, was the hardest.

#222640 - 11/01/05 07:03 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

It's amazing how much EASIER it is to consume IF if it has been FOOD PROCESSED!!! Try it! Combined with SF it is actually quite safe, generally.

The food processing breaks down the fibers of the challenging foods making them more tummy friendly and digestible to IBS'ers.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: Maria--"green" potatoes new
      #222641 - 11/01/05 07:09 PM
Wind

I was in spud mode yesterday and tried a few of the things you had "cravings" for--basically "green" potatoes (broccoli/potatoe and spinach/potatoe in the food processor,seasoned with balsalmic vinegar afterwards and lemon, etc. i omitted the onion because they always give me acid beyond a slice or two! i used onion powder instead!)

It was awesome in a different way than I'm accustomed to experiencing. I think you'd love it! Very safe. Actually really RICH but in a safe way...you know how CREAMY a potatoe makes things without soy/rice milk. (Probably would work fine with potatoe flakes reconstituted with water if you're ultra lazy. )

Kate, IBS-D.

#222644 - 11/01/05 07:29 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Ooh! Good review! I guess I'm trying this soon because I bought white potatoes today and broccoli. I also bought frozen chopped spinach (because the fresh didn't look so good) - do you think frozen spinach would work just as well?

#222651 - 11/01/05 08:38 PM
Wind

You bet it will!!! I think the "green potatoes" would be outstanding accompanied my some mushrooms, don't you???

Even carrots or beets or winter/summer squash!!!

Kate, IBS-D.

#222671 - 11/02/05 02:31 AM
boo75

Reged: 10/29/05
Loc: Butte Montana

What enzymes were suggested at the sprawl, please. Or which do you recommend. Bette

--------------------
(cool)

#222729 - 11/02/05 09:25 AM
Cyndy

Thanks for your response. I do eat little and often...maybe not little enough. I "think" I'm eating enough too.

I do eat IF. I have two serving of fruits and 2 servings of veggies every day. Plus sometimes IF bread/ hot cereal too. I cook the veggies and puree them too. The fruits I eat cooked in the cereal, or fresh and whole with lunch.

I eat very bland foods, no spices, no beans, no "gassy veggies like brocolli or cauliflower or salad (oh how I miss them).

Thanks for your concern too. I'm worried about me too!

Quote:

I'm finding that if it's prepared safely and with enough IF (and if I make sure I don't overeat) I can actually tolerate GOOD food!

Did you mean if you eat enough SF first? How much is enough? And what did you mean by "prepared safely". I've seen some of your meals on the Health board, and it amazes me that you are D and can eat beans, Luna bars, Teecinno, burritos!

I'm C and don't touch them! Do you eat any IF veggies or fruits? Or do you stick to only SF forms and white breads?

#222737 - 11/02/05 09:52 AM
*Melissa*

Hi - we didn't actually suggest any, but we were lucky enough to have one of our sponsors, Garden of Life, donate some to give out to attendees to try. But, this is my first time trying them, and I will probably switch to a more reasonably priced brand. I'm going to stop by my local HFS and see what she suggests.

Here's the kind we had samples of though that I'm trying now: http://www.gardenoflifeusa.com/detail_qzyme.shtml

#222834 - 11/02/05 04:09 PM
LindsayK

Reged: 04/15/05
Loc: Austin, TX

Just had to add this...the Lowfat Cranberry bread came out so great that people at work were asking for the recipe. And, I came home yesterday to find a broken plate and nothing but some crumbs on the floor. One of my dogs couldn't resist the bread. I had left it on the counter, a little too close to the edge I guess. Good thing I froze the 2nd loaf.

--------------------
Lins

#223360 - 11/05/05 11:47 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I'm trying this... Cantonese Jok (Rice Porridge Soup) it is soaking right now.... I'm off to bed!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 158 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9824

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review