All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Combining IC and IBS, I need recipe help!!!
      #221792 - 10/28/05 09:11 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I can only eat certain veggies, bread, crackers, popcorn, and the following spices:

almond extract
basil
garlic
marjoram
oregano
poppy seed
rosemary
sage
salt
thyme
tarragon
vanilla extract

This means NO vinegar, lemon juice, pepper, or anything to season my food with that is not listed above

Veggies I can eat are:

brocolli
cabbage (not so IBS safe but IC safe)
carrots
cauliflower
corn
lettuce
mushrooms
okra
peas
potatoes
pumpkin
snow peas
split beans
summer squash
turnips
winter squash
zuccini

SO...how can I turn this into an IBS safe diet while eating these foods, rice, bread, and occasional fish/meat?

If it's not on the lists above, and it's a veggie, I can't eat it! The only fruits I can have are organic dates and pears.

Any recipe ideas would be VERY MUCH appreciated!

*BIG HUGS*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Combining IC and IBS, I need recipe help!!! new
      #221795 - 10/28/05 09:19 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Stir fries! Soups! Baked potatoes! Risottos! I love risottos and they're great with the veggies you've listed!

Take recipes you enjoy and just adapt them further, leave out or sub spices you can't have or veggies or fruits you can't have. If you want some ideas for subs, ask here!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#221796 - 10/28/05 09:25 AM
Snow for Sarala

I'm finding it tough to eat things with no onions, lemon juice, vinegar, pepper, avocado (I use them as a sauce too!), tomatoes, etc. I can't seem to find ANY recipes without one or more of these ingredients!!

Basically the only sauce I can use is oil...can we say YOUCH!

What are your ideas Melissa? I'm ALL ears/eyes I am wanting to go to the store soon to buy food for Shabbos...it would be AWESOME to have something yummy!

Thanks sooo much *hugs*

Love,

Ruch

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#221797 - 10/28/05 09:38 AM
melitami

Stir fry with rice is a dinner I love! I use snow peas and carrots, mushrooms, and Quorn (a meat sub I use, I use the Chicken tenders, but you could sub whatever real meat you do eat), season with garlic, soy sauce (though I don't know if you can have it, sub salt maybe), and any other spices you might enjoy. Serve over rice. Quick and yummy!

Risottos are yummy as well. Try Linz's husband's Zuchini Risotto , just leave out the onions. I don't particularly like onions, so I leave them out of most things anyway. Here's a Mushroom risotto as well, just leave out the onions. Risottos are great for just adding whatever veggies and spices you feel like! When I was having nasty D (later found out to be due to the magnesium in my pills, remember?) I made risotto with carrots just for something soothing!

Baked pototoes or mashed potatoes made with broth and garlic are tasty too (you can't have rice milk now, if I recall?).

I'll search through the mass of recipes on my computer and send you more via email!

--------------------
Melissa

#221798 - 10/28/05 09:42 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Ruchie, sorry to hear that you have to deal with two conditions and two diets now. But I'm sure you can make it work! I just found this recipe the other day. It sounds easy, healthy, and perhaps something you could eat?

Mashed Potato, Onion and Broccoli
I would substitute garlic for the onions.

How about garlic broth? Just combine chicken or vegetable stock w/ minced garlic and your favorite herbs, bring to a boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes; I usually throw in some frozen vegetables, like carrots and/or broccoli. I also use some shiitake mushrooms.

From your list of vegetables, it looks like you could make a lot of yummy stir frys w/ rice. Even though you can't eat fruits, you could make a pumpkin smoothie or pumpkin pancakes (since you can eat bread, I'm assuming you can eat safe pancakes too).

HTH! Sorry I don't have more ideas, but if I think of any, I'll make sure sure to post them. Good luck with your new diet. I hope you're feeling better!

Pumpkin smoothie, rissotos, ooooh, thanks! Some Q's... new
      #221800 - 10/28/05 09:58 AM
Snow for Sarala

If you cannot have rice/soy/almond/oat milk, is there another way to make a smoothie? That sounded GOOD!!!

Is there a way to make a veggie stock exclusively with the veggies I listed to go with a risotto? I can't put things like celery in a soup anymore!

You are WONDERFUL, thank you sooooo much *hugs*

Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Pumpkin smoothie, rissotos, ooooh, thanks! Some Q's... new
      #221802 - 10/28/05 10:02 AM
melitami

For the smoothie, just use the pumpkin as the base, add some water if it's took thick!

You can make veggie stock with whatever veggies you want, so out of your list, I'd use potatoes, carrots, some of the squashes maybe, mushrooms, I can't have broccoli or cauliflower but they might work as well! Just about any veggie works in veggie stock, so experiment with what you can eat and the spices you can have until you find something you love!

--------------------
Melissa

I'm sorry, I'm not getting something here... new
      #221803 - 10/28/05 10:06 AM
Snow for Sarala

Sounds GREAT for the veggie stock...I'll have to give that a shot asap

For the smoothie, do you mean just take pumkin and puree it and put it int eh fridge for a smoothie? Sorry I'm so confused!!!

Thanks Melissa *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: I'm sorry, I'm not getting something here... new
      #221805 - 10/28/05 10:10 AM
melitami

I would take some pumpkin, puree it, maybe add a bit of vanilla, can you have any form of sugar? Honey or molasses maybe? Mmmmm, that sounds tasty....can you have cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, or cloves? All of those are also good with pumpkin.

--------------------
Melissa

Re: I'm sorry, I'm not getting something here... new
      #221807 - 10/28/05 10:15 AM
Snow for Sarala

I CAN have vanilla! HURRAY!!!!

Sounds like it could make a great dessert!

HAPPY DANCE!!!

Thanks Melissa *hugs* Off to the store soon...

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 120 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6918

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review