All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Japanese food/Sushi
      #221765 - 10/28/05 08:05 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Any IBS-safe Japanese or sushi recipes favourites of yours? Please chip in!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Japanese food/Sushi new
      #221897 - 10/28/05 04:16 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I like this recipe. sushi roll salad

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Sushi Rolls new
      #221906 - 10/28/05 05:02 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

Take 1/2c rice vinegar, 4 Tbsp. sugar and 1.5 tsp salt and mix all of that together. This is called "sushi-su".

Make 4 cups (dry...cook according to directions) of sushi or Japanese rice (calrose) none of that Uncle Ben's stuff . Pour the "sushi-su" into the rice and mix well. Let cool.

Take your seaweed and bamboo mat if you have one (not neccessary though), take a cup of your rice and press it into the seaweed leaving about 1/2" of seaweed "empty" to seal. Press well as that will adhere the rice to the seaweed. It takes practice and your first few rolls may look a little scary but they taste good no matter how scary they look!

Roll with your favorite stuff crab, avocado, cucumber...I love wasabi and soy sauce.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

About the rice... new
      #221979 - 10/29/05 07:28 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...is that 4 cups before cooked or 4 cups after being cooked?

How big a piece of seaweed per how much rice? And how many servings does tis make? Does it last in the fridge for very long?

What is your favorite seaweed to use, Rachel?

Awe, maybe I'll just skip it! I'm sure to mess it up!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: About the rice... new
      #222121 - 10/30/05 12:10 PM
poochibelly

Don't skip it...it is easy as pie. 4 cups before cooking. It is best to use a rice cooker and they come with the "cup" which I think is 8 oz anyway and there is a line as to where you should put your water.

1 cup of rice to one piece of seaweed. I don't worry about the brand...it's all pretty much the same.

I think that makes about 6 rolls. I will eat a roll for a meal and it refirgerates pretty well.

--------------------

Seaweed new
      #253104 - 03/19/06 07:14 PM
Augie

What kind of seaweeds are good for sushi? And how much do you use per cup of rice?

Do you put one piece of seawood on top and one on bottom and seel like a pie crust? How do you roll this and what do you seel the 1/2 inch to?

What is your favorite filling to add? Or do you just pour on some soy sauce?

I would really love to make this, but I'm still clueless as to the method.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Seaweed new
      #253122 - 03/20/06 03:20 AM
Ravenndark

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: the internet

I'm not sure about the ratio of seaweed to rice, but I can answer your other questions.

The most common type of seaweed used is nori. You can find it (along with all other sushi equipment) in the Asian/international food section of your grocery store. It's normally in a clear, flat, plastic package.

You use one piece of seaweed per roll. You lay it out flat on your bamboo mat, and arrange the rice all over the nori (seaweed), to every edge except one, leaving a 1/2 inch gap. Then arrange your veggies on top of the rice, at one end, in a line. Using the bamboo mat as a guide and to help keep control, start rolling from the edge opposite where you left the gap. Press firmly as you are rolling.

The 1/2 inch is used to seal the nori to itself, so the roll doesn't unstick.

My favorite filling is fresh cucumber, or even small pieces of roasted sweet potato. Most sushi has a filling, and it can be dipped in soy sauce, served with wasabi (Japanese horseradish) or pickled ginger.

Try this site for more info

Thanks Isabel new
      #253673 - 03/22/06 08:19 AM
Augie

...but I still don't "get it"!

--------------------
~ Beth

It sounds like you need an illustrated guide... new
      #253875 - 03/22/06 08:39 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Not a bad thing, either - I mean, I needed one. LOL I bought a sushi book off Amazon, and it's been pretty decent to work from. You could probably also find something in the cookbook section of the library.

Or... something I make more often here now is what the book I have refers to as "chirashi-zushi"... "chirashi" meaning "scattered". Instead of rolling the sushi rice in nori, you put it in a bowl, and then top it with various things, "scattering" them over the top of the rice. The last time I made it, I topped mine with a little fresh ginger & wasabi, shredded nori, shredded omelet, avocado, cucumber, and (cooked and chilled) shrimp, and it was GOOD.

Almost Instant Ramen Noodles new
      #253876 - 03/22/06 08:42 PM
atomic rose

I just posted the recipe here You tend to think of ramen as those silly packets of instant soup, but apparently it's a much healthier food in Japan.

Re: It sounds like you need an illustrated guide... new
      #253913 - 03/23/06 07:13 AM
Augie

I was so surprised to hear you say you were experimenting with making sushi in the last email! I have been trying to figure this out because I would love to start eating this for lunch...daily! No expensive GF bread to buy! How do you buy wasabi? What is it? And how do you shred Nori and an omelet? I think I would skip the omelet part.

Do you peel the cucumber and deseed it?

Thanks...I think I need to check out the library! Do you use a mat?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Japanese food/Sushi new
      #253942 - 03/23/06 08:41 AM
dane1958

Reged: 01/27/06

I can eat avocado or cucumber rolls(chopped and no seeds) that the sushi guy by us makes right in front of me..I don't like seafood but the rolls(about 8) are a good agreeable lunch for me dipped in soy and washabi sauce.

#253957 - 03/23/06 09:27 AM
atomic rose

Honestly, the best way to learn how to do it is dive right in. Buy a mat (they're not expensive, mine was only $2), some nori, and some sushi rice, and just *try* it. Your first rolls will look like hell, but don't even worry about it - they still taste good, and that's all that matters. Or you can do what I suggested, and take a bowl of sushi rice topped with other things - it's very portable.

Wasabi is a Japanese horseradish condiment. I buy it in powder form - you mix a little with water to make a paste, and used *sparingly*, it's a good bit of flavor.

I tried shredding nori with a sharp knife, and it crumbled more than anything, so I'd say that crumbling the nori would actually be a better idea. As for the omelet, I just sliced it in very thin slivers with a knife. The omelet is GOOD. I'll post the recipe at the end of this reply... I bet you'll want to try it!

I deseed the cucumber, but I do NOT peel it.

Omelet, modified and simplified:

Egg beaters to equal 2 eggs
1 tbsp water or broth
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp soy sauce

Whisk it all together, pour it out on a preheated nonstick pan sprayed with cooking spray, so that it's in a thin layer. Cover and let it cook until firm. Let it cool, then turn it out on a cutting board and cut it into slivers. I find that folding it a couple times make the cutting quicker and easier.

Oh yeah, and the book I'm using new
      #253958 - 03/23/06 09:30 AM
atomic rose

...is "Sushi" by Ryuichi Yoshii. If you can find it at the library, I think you'll find it helpful - it's well illustrated.

what is wasabi? new
      #255798 - 04/02/06 01:01 PM
Augie

it is a dry ingredient...like a powder form? Where do you find this? And how much do you use?

Do you make the sushi-su?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: what is wasabi? new
      #255842 - 04/02/06 06:23 PM
atomic rose

Wasabi is a Japanese horseradish condiment. It's the little blob of bright green paste that you sometimes see on a plate of sushi. It comes in a few different forms... I buy a tin of powder, and mix it with water when I make sushi. The stuff that's premade in paste form tends to lose its potency if you don't use it up fast enough.

When Adam and I have sushi, I make about 1/2 teaspoon of the powder and enough water to make a paste. It's POTENT. I love the hot stuff, Adam not so much, so that amount is plenty for the 2 of us.

I *was* making the sushi-su myself, but Adam picked up a bottle of pre-seasoned rice vinegar, diluted with water and seasoned with salt and sugar, so that's what I used last time, and it was just as good.

We get all our sushi stuff at the health food store. Sometimes grocery stores carry the basic items, but we're not that lucky. LOL

Thanks amigo!-nt new
      #255843 - 04/02/06 06:25 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Anytime, chica! -nt- new
      #255862 - 04/03/06 04:48 AM
atomic rose

Nice new pic Casey! new
      #255865 - 04/03/06 05:55 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

You are confusing me with all the pics, you have so many different looks! (But you look great in all of them!)

--------------------
S.

#256764 - 04/06/06 12:58 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I'm definitely going to try "sushi in a bowl"

That way, I can make a stir fry chicken/veggie for my hubby to put on his rice, and I can have all my sushi yummies! (he hates sushi)

--------------------
~jules

#256962 - 04/07/06 02:10 PM
Ravyn

Reged: 02/06/06
Loc: New Jersey

I just read this! You have NO idea how excited I am that I can eat sushi!!!!!!

Then again.....you probably do!

--------------------
IBS-C

#257012 - 04/07/06 05:36 PM
jules

Made this tonight and it was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
~jules

What did you put into yours? new
      #257081 - 04/08/06 06:56 AM
Augie

And how many sheets or nori do did you use per serving?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: What did you put into yours? new
      #257115 - 04/08/06 09:29 AM
jules

Here's what mine had:

1 nori sheet, crumbled
1/4 cup cooked rice
1T pickled ginger
wasabi
sesame seeds
2 sticks imitation crab
1/4 avocado
1/2c cucumber
soy sauce

It was so good. I'm actually eating it again for lunch right now!

--------------------
~jules

Well,... *DELETED* new
      #257886 - 04/12/06 01:53 PM
Augie

Post deleted by Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Um.... new
      #257966 - 04/13/06 03:30 AM
atomic rose

Why can't you just remove the tails from the shrimp? I boil mine from raw, then run them under cold water to chill them fast, then peel them & remove the legs and all that.

I use fresh ginger on mine, so that would work. Just go easy on it - it's a lot stronger than the pickled kind.

I'm cringing at the thought of using cooked vegetables on sushi. Please please please try a little cucumber? The seeds are cut out anyway, and if you're really worried, you can take the skin off too.

Fillings.... new
      #257977 - 04/13/06 05:51 AM
poochibelly

Please don't use cooked veggies...yuk...the amount is so small, I don't think it would bother you.

egg crepe (scramble and then cook in crepe style, flat and round. Then cut to desired size. You can use egg beaters of course)

smoked salmon/cream cheese (the only dairy that I can tolerate)

firm tofu (the brown weird looking stuff)

diced shrimp with a tad of mayo (or safe substitute)

shredded carrott

the sky is the limit really...you can combine anything you like.

--------------------

Re: Fillings.... new
      #258126 - 04/13/06 08:17 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I actually like them with cucumber, best! Carrot and avocado ranks highly, as well. Hmmm...I've never tried them with tofu--but now you've inspired me.

Kate.

#258160 - 04/14/06 07:04 AM
atomic rose

I agree... especially with the rice to cushion it, the amount of raw veggie is so minimal anyway... Beth, you'll be fine. Just try it!

Actually, there is one cooked veggie that I'll use in sushi, but only in rolls. The Japanese restaurant down in Bangor makes sweet potato rolls, using slices of tempura sweet potato. I'm sure it isn't at all traditional, but oh my god, is it GOOD. You could try some baked sweet potato, cooked but still firm enough to hold its shape when cut, seasoned with salt, if you really wanted to.

#258273 - 04/15/06 05:34 AM
jules

My mom tried this with cooked asparagus and it was yummy. The sweet potato idea sounded awesome too.

But, I'm a HUGE fan of the California roll, so I make mine with crab, cucubmer, and avocado (LOVE LOVE LOVE avocado).

I can't believe how easy and yummy this is!

--------------------
~jules

#258320 - 04/15/06 10:43 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I love cucumber and avocado rolls... mmmm... you guys are totally making me crave sushi now! I've never tried tofu though, but now I'm inspired

Re: Fillings.... *DELETED* new
      #258358 - 04/15/06 03:17 PM
Augie

Post deleted by Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Beth.... new
      #258371 - 04/15/06 05:57 PM
atomic rose

I hope I can say this without sounding too annoying, but you need to stop worrying so much about it. It's just food. You need it - both the IF and the good fats. Just TRY it. Don't overthink it like this - just cut the stuff up, put it in a bowl, and try it.

I know you know me well enough to know that I'm not trying to be a b*tch or anything... LOL! At least I hope so. If not, feel free to email me and chew me out.

That said...

Cucumber: Seeds out, peel on. I can eat 1/4 of a cucumber in a sitting. I can probably really eat more than that, but I don't like cucumber THAT much. Leaving the peel on seems to be traditional, and it definitely gives it more texture and crunch, but if you're really paranoid about it, peel it.

Avocado: I've been known to eat 1/2 of an avocado in one sitting. I'm sure 1/4 is more reasonable, but I love it and can never stop eating it once I start.

I've never had any problems with either, even on otherwise "bad days".

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 245 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24811

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review