All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: It sounds like you need an illustrated guide... new
      #253913 - 03/23/06 07:13 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I was so surprised to hear you say you were experimenting with making sushi in the last email! I have been trying to figure this out because I would love to start eating this for lunch...daily! No expensive GF bread to buy! How do you buy wasabi? What is it? And how do you shred Nori and an omelet? I think I would skip the omelet part.

Do you peel the cucumber and deseed it?

Thanks...I think I need to check out the library! Do you use a mat?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Japanese food/Sushi new
      #253942 - 03/23/06 08:41 AM
dane1958

Reged: 01/27/06

I can eat avocado or cucumber rolls(chopped and no seeds) that the sushi guy by us makes right in front of me..I don't like seafood but the rolls(about 8) are a good agreeable lunch for me dipped in soy and washabi sauce.

#253957 - 03/23/06 09:27 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Honestly, the best way to learn how to do it is dive right in. Buy a mat (they're not expensive, mine was only $2), some nori, and some sushi rice, and just *try* it. Your first rolls will look like hell, but don't even worry about it - they still taste good, and that's all that matters. Or you can do what I suggested, and take a bowl of sushi rice topped with other things - it's very portable.

Wasabi is a Japanese horseradish condiment. I buy it in powder form - you mix a little with water to make a paste, and used *sparingly*, it's a good bit of flavor.

I tried shredding nori with a sharp knife, and it crumbled more than anything, so I'd say that crumbling the nori would actually be a better idea. As for the omelet, I just sliced it in very thin slivers with a knife. The omelet is GOOD. I'll post the recipe at the end of this reply... I bet you'll want to try it!

I deseed the cucumber, but I do NOT peel it.

Omelet, modified and simplified:

Egg beaters to equal 2 eggs
1 tbsp water or broth
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp soy sauce

Whisk it all together, pour it out on a preheated nonstick pan sprayed with cooking spray, so that it's in a thin layer. Cover and let it cook until firm. Let it cool, then turn it out on a cutting board and cut it into slivers. I find that folding it a couple times make the cutting quicker and easier.

Oh yeah, and the book I'm using new
      #253958 - 03/23/06 09:30 AM
atomic rose

...is "Sushi" by Ryuichi Yoshii. If you can find it at the library, I think you'll find it helpful - it's well illustrated.

what is wasabi? new
      #255798 - 04/02/06 01:01 PM
Augie

it is a dry ingredient...like a powder form? Where do you find this? And how much do you use?

Do you make the sushi-su?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: what is wasabi? new
      #255842 - 04/02/06 06:23 PM
atomic rose

Wasabi is a Japanese horseradish condiment. It's the little blob of bright green paste that you sometimes see on a plate of sushi. It comes in a few different forms... I buy a tin of powder, and mix it with water when I make sushi. The stuff that's premade in paste form tends to lose its potency if you don't use it up fast enough.

When Adam and I have sushi, I make about 1/2 teaspoon of the powder and enough water to make a paste. It's POTENT. I love the hot stuff, Adam not so much, so that amount is plenty for the 2 of us.

I *was* making the sushi-su myself, but Adam picked up a bottle of pre-seasoned rice vinegar, diluted with water and seasoned with salt and sugar, so that's what I used last time, and it was just as good.

We get all our sushi stuff at the health food store. Sometimes grocery stores carry the basic items, but we're not that lucky. LOL

Thanks amigo!-nt new
      #255843 - 04/02/06 06:25 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Anytime, chica! -nt- new
      #255862 - 04/03/06 04:48 AM
atomic rose

Nice new pic Casey! new
      #255865 - 04/03/06 05:55 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

You are confusing me with all the pics, you have so many different looks! (But you look great in all of them!)

--------------------
S.

#256764 - 04/06/06 12:58 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I'm definitely going to try "sushi in a bowl"

That way, I can make a stir fry chicken/veggie for my hubby to put on his rice, and I can have all my sushi yummies! (he hates sushi)

--------------------
~jules

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 25039

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review