All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
about gingeroot
      #220926 - 10/24/05 10:20 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

What is the best way to use fresh ginger. I mean do you have to peel it or can you just cut it up or should you grate it?? I bought some and wasn't sure how to use it??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: about gingeroot new
      #220936 - 10/24/05 10:34 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I always peel mine.....

Quote:

When choosing a ginger root to buy, choose that which is smooth and unblemished. It should be crisp, not limp. Fresh ginger will keep for a week at room temperature and for about a month in the refrigerator wrapped in plastic wrap. Young ginger, if you can find it or grow it yourself, has a thin skin, and can be sliced right into stir fries and other dishes. The older the ginger is, the stronger the flavor and hotness of the spice.

You can use fresh ginger in recipes that call for dried, but use about half the amount called for. Try adding thin slivers to your poached fruit recipes or compotes. Grate the ginger root and add to your vegetable recipes as you boil or stem them.

Fresh ginger is wonderful in drinks, baked goods and other dishes.

web page

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#220942 - 10/24/05 10:42 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I've seen cooks on the Food Network peel ginger root before grating it. I'm not co-ordinated enough to do that without losing a finger so I just grate it as is, peel and all, to use in casseroles and stuff like that. I never noticed the peel in anything I made.

I bought a Williams Sonoma Ginger Grater on sale years ago. It's great, but I haven't really noticed it "leaving unwanted fiber behind".

I store my ginger root in a plastic bag in the freezer. It seems to keep forever.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Peeling ginger new
      #220989 - 10/24/05 01:03 PM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Oooh oooh oooh, this reminds me of my newest kitchen tip! To easily peel ginger, just take a metal teaspoon and scrape off the peel with the edge. It's as easy as that! It comes right off...something to do with the metal. It gets into all the crevices too. And it works so much better than a potato peeler or knife.

Once you peel it, you can cut it into little matchsticks and then mince it up and use it in all your favorite recipes. Yummy, I LOVE ginger.

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

Re: Peeling ginger new
      #220991 - 10/24/05 01:06 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I saw that on the Food Network before! I can't remember what show - I think it was Food 911. It works great!

#220995 - 10/24/05 01:10 PM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03

Ya, someone else told me about it...so they probably got it off the food network. Best tip ever!

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

#220996 - 10/24/05 01:19 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Thanks for the great tip! It sounds so much easier (and safer) than peeling it with a knife.

#221001 - 10/24/05 01:53 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Thanks everyone!!!

#221021 - 10/24/05 05:11 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I do 3 things with it
1. peel with spoon and knife and cut in juliennes for my Hakka Ginger Chicken
2. peel and leave in large pieces, freeze the pieces in a bag and shave with a chef's knife or rasp
3. peel and put in a food processor and finely mince, then put in an empty jar of minced ginger

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#221213 - 10/25/05 01:28 PM
m_odonnell

Reged: 05/14/05

Not sure if you got enough advice here...but I figured I would add my own. I chop off a piece of it and use my fancy potato peeler (sharp) and peel it. Then I use my giant food processor to shred it. I don't use it that often. I used it a couple of weeks ago and the leftover gingerroot is still sitting in a plastic baggie in my fridge.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 160 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3877

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review