All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
GF Croutons
      #220723 - 10/22/05 04:14 AM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

I'm searching for a GF recipe for croutons. Being brave and going to attempt salad w/ SF. Hope this isn't a mistake. My C is craving serious IF.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: GF Croutons new
      #220735 - 10/22/05 08:08 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

You could make croutons with GF bread--basically herb/spice them up to your fancy and dry them out/toast them in the oven. A little Pam-spray, etc.

One other option (and this is something I LOVE) is using squash cubes (i.e. butternut) and herbing them up-- and broiling them/baking them.

Mushrooms are great SF salad toppers, too. Ditto for beets.
Also, peeled apple slices or pear slices--baked/broiled/spiced when you feel kind of Waldorf-like and want something sweet with bittergreens (i.e. spring mix/mesculn/baby spinach). Great with a balsalmic vinaigrette, or dijon dressing, something pseudo-french/poppyseed/raspberry. It's like dessert on top of greens. Great with a few green beans or asparagus spears or broccoli flowerets for that extra "clean-out" power if your really backed up.

I used to LOVE broiled balsalmic peaches with beets on top of spring mix with a few green beans or asparagus spears in the summer.

Zucchini is awesome on top of greens/salad. Seriously. Give them the spice/seasoning/flavours of croutons and put them on top of your greens and wow. I like to quickly broil them or grill them with some seasoning/spice. It's rather like having french fries or potates on top of your salad.

One of my all-time favourite salads is based with spaghetti-squash. It uses squash instead of pasta. You can add in whatever you like. Spinach rocks with this and mushrooms...honestly whatever: tomatoes (not my thing, but others like them), salad greens (raw or cooked), other veggies (i.e. green/yellow beans, asparagus, broccoli or "brocco-mole"--pureed broccoli, avocado, peppers, onions, etc.)

Lol! Now, I'm hungry. I miss veggies and dip. What I do now, when I'm in veggies and dip mode is use cooked veggies.
Finger food withdrawal.

Indeed, salad is a great way to give those teeth/jaws a work-out.

Kate, IBS-D.

#220775 - 10/22/05 07:57 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

so for the zuch and squash, how long to you broil? When you say grill, I think more sautee on the stove? Yes? Do tell more!

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#220779 - 10/22/05 08:24 PM
Wind

For broiling, zucchini/summer squash takes less time than winter squash. About 20 min. but it depends on the cut, or the thickness/thinness. Winter squashes taste better baked--about 45 minutes. Croutons from winter squashes are a great use for leftovers. Some grocery stores sell winter squash in containers already cubed--I know a local store here has it in the salad bar area.

Grilling is really fast. When I say "grill" I mean a la George Foreman or BBQ. Seriously--ten minutes. I love the charbroiled effect...cooked but still crisp. Baby fine sliced zucchini broiled in the oven sort of tastes like bacon to me. I've never grilled winter squashes.

Saute is pretty fast for summer squashes. Less than ten minutes, obviously. The juices or sauce add a nice dimension to the greens. Winter squash is really fast in the microwave--basically the same idea as a baked potatoe, or uh, (veggie)bacon.
Often, I bake the zucchini in the microwave the same way or just steam it in there. Saves dishes!

I guess, ultimately it depends on the texture you want. The zucchini/squash idea is similar to the effect of potatoes more than bread croutons. Baking or broiling or grilled is firmer and crunchier than steamed or sauted and if you season it a la garlic bread or ranch (this is what i recall croutons to be similar, potatoe chip seasonings)than you get that effect.

I hope this sort of makes sense. Basically I just do it until it looks done. I'll watch the clock next time I do it in the oven and advise.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: GF Croutons (bread oriented) new
      #220791 - 10/23/05 05:06 AM
Wind

I did a really quick search and found a page you might like to scan for quick timing/idea guides for bread-based croutons.

I suspect that if you used gf bread as a substitute for regular bread, the results would be similar. Other appropriate substitutions might involve using veg. stock/broth in place of butter or ghee. Honestly, in my experience, the season, shake & bake on a cookie sheet spritzed with Pam, works best...but adding a little more liquid (certainly NOT ghee/clarified butter or vats of oil) might give it a tad more moisture. For a quick reference, see: salad. allrecipes. com/directory/252.asp

It's basically easier than baking cookies! 350-400 degrees for 15-20 min.

A great use for old bread, I suspect.

Kate.

Re: GF Croutons (bread oriented) new
      #220823 - 10/23/05 10:29 AM
m_odonnell

Reged: 05/14/05
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

What does GF stand for? I can't find it in the abbreviations list...

Re: GF = gluten-free--n.t. new
      #220834 - 10/23/05 01:10 PM
Wind

Re: GF = gluten-free--n.t. new
      #220843 - 10/23/05 02:26 PM
m_odonnell

Reged: 05/14/05
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Ahhhhh - thanks!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 120 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4041

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review