All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Does anyone else use their SF supplement in recipes?
      #219287 - 10/13/05 05:18 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I just started this habit and WOW! Aie caramba! It really does improve the taste/texture of the end result.

It's wicked in homemade lowfat yogurt. Talk about a hit of prebiotic with probiotic! It actually makes the stuff really decadent! I haven't tried it with acacia, just benefiber.

I've also started doing this with dressings/sauces and condiments. OMIGOD! I can't believe how wickedly delicious it is.

The homemade soy yogurt tasted kind of like 'cheese cake' with the benefiber! No joke.

Kate, IBS-D.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

soy yogurt question new
      #219457 - 10/14/05 08:46 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Hi Kate,
Just wondering how you do your soy yogurt. I grew up eating homemade dairy yogurt, so I know the process. I tried it using Silk soymilk and some storebought soy yogurt as starter, but I hated how it came out. Very gelatenous and it didn't taste like real yogurt at all. I'm at the point now (stability-wise and just not caring) that if I crave yogurt I just go for the real thing and deal with the consequences. I know there are more problematic elements to milk than just lactose, but I think the fact that there is no lactose in yogurt helps somewhat. Anyway, would love to know how you are making your soy yogurt and how it turns out. Thanks.
Amanda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: soy yogurt question new
      #219462 - 10/14/05 09:26 AM
Wind

Ditto--I'm totally craving the real thing, especially after Canadian Thanksgiving and well...you can imagine!

I'm at the same point.

I used to make goat and dairy yogurt and making soy yogurt is the same process.

I agree--purchased soy yogurts tend to have all sorts of gelatinous stuff added as stabilizers, usually agar or some sort of seaweed/carrageenan or "gum."

They tend to be quite high fat too.

--Basically heat soymilk to boiling, i.e. a carton (1L). Stir while you heat to boiling and WATCH!!! (If you don't watch there will be a HUGE mess!)
--Cool.
--Add culture via whisking it in(I just about 1/4-1/3 c. from a bought plain organic soy yogurt; you can also use culture from a dairy yogurt).
Pour into container or jar. Cover.
--Incubate, i.e. wrap it in towels and put it in a warm place--even really close to a radiator or heater. I'll put an electric blanket around it. Refridgerate after 8-12 hours.

So, basically, you really don't have to go all out and buy fancy equiptment. It's as easy as boiling (soy)milk! Same process as making dairy yogurt.

I like to add my SF supplement to it (Benefiber--guar gum). Gives it a nice thick creaminess without that gelantinous effect. Alot of non-organic dairy yogurts have that same gelantinous effect, as well from all the additives. You could add agar. Acacia would be a funky addition, or even some protein powder.

Re: how does it turn out? Well, honestly, nothing quite compares to real cow yogurt. It tastes like soy yogurt. It's not bad, though. But I'm with you re: the difference and at the same point with stability and just not caring.
I might just start making fatfree cow yogut.
I'm going to try it with Almond milk, next, though.

Kate.

Thanks new
      #219474 - 10/14/05 10:37 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Thanks for taking the time to write all that out. That's actually exactly the same way I tried making it -- mabye my standards are just too high. I think I'll stick to sneaking the real thing when I crave it and just going without it in between. I'm a purist, what can I say?

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: Thanks new
      #219518 - 10/14/05 04:04 PM
Wind

You're welcome. Truly--I think soy yogurt is misnamed! But the process is simple enough and virtually idiot proof...the ususal "double-bubble, boil and trouble!" Ditto for soy cheese. But, if you enhance it to suit your pleasure it's rather good! Great for a sauce/dressing...a breakfast/snack/dessert! Wonderful protein for when you don't feel like something heavy duty. Easy to sneak in some fruit

I'm just having HUGE HUGE HUGE calcium cravings and well...it's so exceptionally hard to deal with this. So, I'm playing with safe stuff...but I'm hugely tempted to well...have a cow, a la Bart Simpson. I used to live on yogurt and skim milk as a kid/teen.

Maybe if you made it with chocolate soy milk?

Kate, IBS-D.

I use it in baked goods.. new
      #220121 - 10/18/05 01:19 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

and I've used it to thicken sauces for myself too!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 189 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3782

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review