All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soy Milk for Cooking
      #218223 - 10/08/05 07:04 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I should have known this would happen eventually, and last night, it did. The soy milk I usually buy (8th Continent Lite) is nummy with oatmeal and cereal and for biscuits and mashed potatoes, but it is too sweet for something like mac & soy cheese.

There I was, all excited that I'd found a soy cheese that tasted good and melted nicely so I could have mac & cheese, and the soy milk ruined it! My husband, foolish man, ate a whole bowl of it even though he said it tasted like a mac & cheese milk shake!

So, I now assume I should buy some unsweetened soy milk for cooking. The thing is, I don't think I'd go through a quart a week. Has anyone seen it in smaller containers? Or, how's the luck been with powdered soy milk?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy Milk for Cooking new
      #218232 - 10/08/05 08:19 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I haven't seen 8th Continent in smaller containers, unfortunately. However, I like to use Rice Dream Original (blue, asceptic container) for cooking. My bf (who isn't IBS or lactose intolerant) and I prefer it for use in macaroni, cereal, mashed potatoes, biscuits or pre-pared products called for milk. It's just a little bit sweet, but really doesn't taste like anything (no aftertaste) and it has the texture of skim milk, so it's not as creamy. You can also buy them in mini-three packs (about a cup per mini container) at a HFS.

HTH.

#218241 - 10/08/05 09:04 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

So, I now assume I should buy some unsweetened soy milk for cooking. The thing is, I don't think I'd go through a quart a week. Has anyone seen it in smaller containers? Or, how's the luck been with powdered soy milk?

You could try freezing the leftover unsweetened soy milk. I don't think anyone on the Board has tried that with soy or rice - at least I haven't been able to find a report on it - but it might be worth a try.

BTW, I also use the Rice Dream Original Rice Milk (aseptic packaging) for everything. I haven't made mac & cheese, but I have made potato soup and clam chowder with it and they taste great. There is no form of sugar listed in the ingredients.

HTH. I've been thinking about some cheese-type foods lately, so I may try to track down your good-tasting, easy-melting cheese - this is the Lisanatti Premium Soy Station cheddar style you talked about earlier, right?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#218288 - 10/08/05 10:50 AM
m_odonnell

Reged: 05/14/05
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

When I go shopping, I usually buy 1 week's worth of groceries. If I know I am going to use plain soy milk for something, I try to find as many recipes (breads, desserts, etc) that call for it. That way, I don't feel guilty throwing away the unused portion, because I have done everything in my power to use it all. Does anyone know what the diff. is between Silk and 8th Continent? Sometimes when I drink the Silk with cereal, it gives me a tummy ache. Is this because it is cold? Because when I use it in recipes, I am fine. Just curious...

#218299 - 10/08/05 11:22 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I've had pretty good luck with powdered soy milk, personally. I do make it a little more diluted than the package says to, and I think the flavor is better for cooking that way.

Depending on the recipe, I've also found that you can counteract the sweetness of a soy milk by adding more seasonings. I use my *vanilla* Silk for things like chicken pot pie by adding 1 tsp or so of chicken bouillon per cup of soy milk, and plenty of pepper. It cuts the sweetness without adding much of a definite flavor of its own, and even the BF seems to think it tastes fine.

Yep, Lisanatti Soy Station Cheese-nt- new
      #218326 - 10/08/05 02:14 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2157

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review