All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Tomato preserves?
      #217599 - 10/05/05 10:45 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

I am just wondering if anyone has a recipe for preserving tomatoes (as bruschetta, sauce, pickles, etc.), it doesn't have to be IBS safe. I have alot of tomatoes from my greenhouse ripened at the same time and don't want them to go bad!!

Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tomato preserves? new
      #217625 - 10/05/05 12:31 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

If you make tomato pasta sauce, you can freeze that - would that do?

Re: Tomato preserves? new
      #217676 - 10/05/05 07:17 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

There are a lot of tomato preserve recipes posted here.

Here is a green tomato recipe I was going to make, but my late blight made for no green tomatoes

Green Tomato Chutney

This sweet, tangy chutney is a fine topping for burgers, fish tacos, rice and beans, or grilled chicken. Chopping ingredients in the food processor makes prep time go faster.

2 cups chopped green tomato (about 3 medium)
1 cup chopped Granny Smith apple
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeņo pepper, seeded and chopped

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Cool; pour into airtight containers.
Note: Refrigerate Green Tomato Chutney in airtight containers up to two months.

Yield: 4 cups (serving size: 2 tablespoons)

CALORIES 20(5% from fat); FAT 0.1g (sat 0.0g,mono 0.0g,poly 0.0g); PROTEIN 0.2g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 4mg; SODIUM 39mg; FIBER 0.3g; IRON 0.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 5g

another one:
Green-Tomato Salsa with Thai Spices

4 green tomatoes (about 2 pounds)
1 large red onion
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 teaspoons minced seeded serrano chile
2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 cup chopped green onions
1 cup julienne-cut yellow bell pepper

Cut tomatoes and red onion in half vertically. Cut each half horizontally into thin slices. Set aside.
Combine cilantro and next 8 ingredients (cilantro through sesame oil) in a large bowl; stir well. Add tomatoes, red and green onions, and bell pepper; toss well. Let stand 1 hour.

Note: Fish sauce is a salty condiment that can be found in Asian markets, specialty shops, and some supermarkets.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

CALORIES 51(39% from fat); FAT 2.2g (sat 0.3g,mono 0.6g,poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 1.6g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 28mg; SODIUM 528mg; FIBER 2g; IRON 1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 8g
Cooking Light, AUGUST 1997

For tomato sauce you have to skin and seed the tomatoes and then simmer the heck out of them until they are thick as spaghetti sauce. You can add some salt, not too much, pepper and herbs but I leave out the garlic for now. Ladel into clean jars, don't have to sterlize, and process for 35 minutes, from the time they boil. I made this for many years with sauce I sent through my tomato press, or a food mill. Make sure all the skins are gone.
Salsa isn't so easy to can I found out. Unless you put in lots of vinegar you have to use a pressure canner. But you can freeze your favorite salsa. Also try drying. I dry cherry tomatoes, halved, on racks in a low oven or dehydrator. Good in pastas, pizza.
Otherwise just google search for more ideas.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Thanks guys new
      #217717 - 10/06/05 04:31 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

These recipes sound great...plus I may try Linz's idea in making pasta sauce and freezing it. I found a couple recipes on the index after I asked the question

Can these tomato relish recipes be used with ripe tomatos I wonder?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 152 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1330

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review