All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
ideas for family party
      #216015 - 09/26/05 06:37 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

My sister and her family are coming to visit and my other sister is having a big family dinner at her house. She needs ideas of what to make for a bunch including kids and she wants to have stuff that is safe for me. I can't think of anything for her to make for a crowd. If it was me it might be easier but I can't make suggestions to someone else so easily. So I need some ideas. She thought about tacos but says she always makes that and of course they would be unsafe for me.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Since you said tacos.... new
      #216025 - 09/26/05 07:28 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Buy a package of "ground round" or any TVP of soy alternative to meat and make that for your tacos. Use the taco seasoning as if you would any other meat. Or else have her make it with ground chicken or turkey. Offer to bring some soy cheese and you're all set.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Since you said tacos.... new
      #216234 - 09/27/05 08:37 PM
Little Minnie

Looks like she has decided on chicken baked and fried and wings (3 things) and nothing is safe for me. I have to bring a dish that is not potatoes, chicken or biscuits or salad I think but is safe and can fill me up and I can bring a dessert too. So I am kind of bummed. It is just so annoying how IBS safe food can be made for everyone and be very tasty (ask my fellow cabiners last week- they loved my meals!) but how anything anyone else makes is no better but is unsafe. It is just the little things and it is SO hard to explain that to someone. It takes hours to explain it adequately! And it is something that has to be learned to cook low in fat. People just can't do it without training.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Aww, sweetie... new
      #216257 - 09/28/05 06:46 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I'm so sorry. It really sucks. I wish I had something inspiring to say. It just plain sucks. I hope it goes OK.
Hugs, Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Grr! new
      #216396 - 09/28/05 02:01 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Minnie, it definitely sucks. I get so frustrated with some members of my family sometimes, they just don't understand at all. For example, my aunt went out of the way to make stuffed shells with tofu for me... then went and sprinkled cheese on top, because she said "a little bit won't hurt", and she "just couldn't resist"!! Argh! You're right, it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to understand, but obviously it is. I hope you think of something great to bring along for yourself... that's pretty much what we have to resign ourselves to doing, I guess.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

LOL- nt new
      #216409 - 09/28/05 04:57 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

conclusion new
      #216410 - 09/28/05 05:00 PM
Little Minnie

My sister is really trying to make something edible for me and says her gall bladder doesn't allow her to eat much fat. I guess I overreacted a little. I think she puts new hubby in the primary spot though for meal decisions. Anyway I am making honey-roasted root vegetables from the Cooking Light that came a couple days ago. I opened the magazine and found the recipe and went "perfect!". I am also making the pumpkin cake with normal ingredients for dessert. Now I just have to get along with the family members.

--------------------

Re: conclusion new
      #216434 - 09/28/05 07:38 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Hmmm...sounds like a good script! I like the 'potentially happy' resolution. Your root roast is so seasonally perfect and will sweeten everyones mood.

Uh, I think it needs some lavender in there, somewhere--something nerve tranquilizing and aromatic. Maybe some 'herbes de provence?'

Okay, I'll butt out.

Kate.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 153 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2357

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review