All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
celery in Heather's sloppy joes recipe
      #214857 - 09/20/05 07:24 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I was THRILLED because I found TVP at a grocery store today for only $1.65/lb!!!! (I'd found it before, but it was like $3 for a tiny bag) (I also found nutritional yeast flakes for $8.49/lb, which is a slight improvement over the $11/lb I'd found before.)

When I'm feeling better I'd like to try Heather's sloppy joes recipe since it looks so yummy. But it uses (yikes) a whole cup of chopped celery. I don't do IF too well, and IF veggies in particular usually just sail right through me, unperturbed by silly digestive enzymes. But a whole cup of something is quite a bit to simply omit -- any suggestions for subs? I can't imagine it really adding that much taste so I was thinking about bumping up the TVP by 1/4 C or so and hoping for the best.

P.S. For some reason, I cracked up reading the line in this recipe where it says to add all ingredients except for the buns. I had this vision of some bright new expectant cook carefully stirring around a saucepan full of tomato sauce, TVP, molasses, and whole hamburger buns.

OK! Maybe I should go get some sleep!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Where is this recipe? new
      #214941 - 09/21/05 08:33 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I must be missing something, but where is Heather's Sloppy Joe recipe?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Edited by Sand (09/21/05 01:11 PM)

Carrots? (m) new
      #214972 - 09/21/05 12:49 PM
Sand

In HanSolo's Sloppy Joes (incredibly delicious by the way), she uses both carrots and celery. Maybe you could replace the celery in your recipe with carrots.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I reduced that amount... new
      #214982 - 09/21/05 12:58 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Jen, when I made Heather's sloppy joes I used MUCH less than 1 cup of celery. That's a lot for me, too. I probably used about 1/2 cup. I'd so go with what looks like a good amount for you to tolerate.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

LOL! new
      #214983 - 09/21/05 12:58 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

P.S. For some reason, I cracked up reading the line in this recipe where it says to add all ingredients except for the buns. I had this vision of some bright new expectant cook carefully stirring around a saucepan full of tomato sauce, TVP, molasses, and whole hamburger buns.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Where is this recipe? new
      #215252 - 09/22/05 04:19 PM
jen1013

here

It was a newsletter recipe.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

thanks for the suggestions but new
      #215263 - 09/22/05 04:47 PM
jen1013

I guess I should have been clearer -- I can't do ANY celery. I can't do carrots unless they are really mushy, and I think mushy carrots would probably be pretty gross in this recipe. I guess I will probably just use extra TVP and see what happens. Wow, the more I look at the recipe the more it scares me ... tomatoes, onions, and celery! Oh my!

--------------------
jen

how about diced mushrooms? new
      #215319 - 09/22/05 09:44 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Mushrooms are SF... I've always added chopped mushrooms for flavor and bulk in "meaty" things like chili, sloppy joes, "meat" sauce, and even sometimes tacos.

Extra TVP would work as far as bulk goes (ending up with the right amount of filling), but I think mushrooms would work better flavor-wise.

Ah, thanks, that was before my time. -nt- new
      #215366 - 09/23/05 08:04 AM
Sand

--------------------

Re: how about diced mushrooms? new
      #215367 - 09/23/05 08:05 AM
Sand

What a great idea! I might try some the next time I make HanSolo's Sloppy Joes.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 225 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3282

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review