All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
help- nut butters
      #212158 - 09/09/05 06:29 PM
vanillabean

Reged: 09/09/05
Loc: Mississippi

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions- I love peanut butter (only buy natural)- but it really bothers my tummy. I cant stand the taste of commerical reduced fat varietys.
Any suggestions on alternatives.. or am I just going to have to let it go? (not sure if I can...)

Thanks!

--------------------
~Jennifer~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
wedding date- May 20th, 2006!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: help- nut butters new
      #212169 - 09/09/05 08:53 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

If it hurts you enough, sooner or later you'll get tired of it, decide it isn't worth it, and let it go... trust me.

It's hard to say if it's peanuts bothering you or the fat content. If it's the fat content, you'll be out of luck, as pretty much every nut butter is just as high in fat. If it's peanuts, you can try a different nut butter, such as cashew (my personal favorite!), and see how you do with it.

Another word of advice: be sure that you're using it SPARINGLY, whichever nut butter you try. You should seriously not be eating more than a (measuring) teaspoon at a time - just a tiny thin scrape on a piece of bread - because of the fat content.

Good luck!

#212211 - 09/10/05 08:27 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I have yet to attempt peanut butter, but here are a couple of suggestions. If it's the fat that's bothering you, rather than the nut-ness, one of these might work for you.

This one:

Peanut Butter Frenzy

is a reduced fat version, but perhaps better than the big name brand ones. I've seen it at Whole Foods.

This one:

Hermien's Perfect PB

I posted and it's not clear to me from the comments whether anyone has made it, liked it, and eaten it safely, but if you must have peanut butter it might be worth a try.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#212226 - 09/10/05 10:43 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

PB bothers me, so I use soynut butter constantly. Now that I'm used to it I don't even notice that I'm not eating PB. I would definitely recommend it.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#212249 - 09/10/05 12:53 PM
vanillabean

Quote:

PB bothers me, so I use soynut butter constantly. Now that I'm used to it I don't even notice that I'm not eating PB. I would definitely recommend it.

I see the soynut butter all the time. was it the peanuts that bothered you. or the fat content. is soynut butter still as high in fat? Hows the taste?

--------------------
~Jennifer~

#212251 - 09/10/05 01:05 PM
vanillabean

Quote:

I have yet to attempt peanut butter, but here are a couple of suggestions. If it's the fat that's bothering you, rather than the nut-ness, one of these might work for you.

This one:

Peanut Butter Frenzy

is a reduced fat version, but perhaps better than the big name brand ones. I've seen it at Whole Foods.

This one:

Hermien's Perfect PB

I posted and it's not clear to me from the comments whether anyone has made it, liked it, and eaten it safely, but if you must have peanut butter it might be worth a try.

HTH.

Thanks for those suggestions! I would love to try the Better N peanut butter. but we dont have a Trader Joes near

I may try that Hermien's Perfect Peanut Butter
recipe too.

Thanks!

--------------------
~Jennifer~

soynut butter new
      #212254 - 09/10/05 01:29 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I'm not certain, but it may have been the peanuts themselves that bothered me in the PB. Peanuts have bothered me in other things, too, so I gave them up. As for the fat content, the soynut butter is natural, so it has less fat than PB. That said, it's still pretty high, so you wouldn't want to pig out on it right out of the can. Lol. For me, though, it's perfectly tolerable in a PBJ and other places where it's used sparingly.

BTW, the brand I use is IM Healthy.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

hermien's perfect PB new
      #212402 - 09/11/05 02:49 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I did try this. It was impossible to get all of the oil out. I normally eat a lot of generic reduced-fat PB (very small amount on FF tortillas/bread) and it's never seemed to bother me, but this stuff did bother me even though I used it in similar quantities. It tasted good though. Darn!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: hermien's perfect PB new
      #212461 - 09/11/05 07:33 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I tried it too...but wasn't too happy with the results. I think just pooring off the liquid was mostly all I got rid of. The paper towels didn't help much.

Also, it makes the PB very hard to spread. So, why you might be saving fat on some of the lost oil, you are probably using more peanut spread which is also high fat.

Thanks for posting the idea though!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5398

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review