Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
WHATS COOKING (WEEK OF 8/23/05)
      #207907 - 08/23/05 03:43 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I'm gonna try PeanutButter Brownies

even though the size of my a$$ lately really looks like I don't need them.. Brittany had an away message up today about brownies and I can't resist.

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: WHATS COOKING (WEEK OF 8/23/05) new
      #207939 - 08/23/05 05:22 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

mmm, good choice! Those are so yummy! They have become my favorite recipe of the moment.

I'll have to post back later about what I want to try. I just went through the recipe index but am feeling so lazy and tired that nothing looks appealing. maybe it will be a cold cereal weekend.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#207940 - 08/23/05 05:30 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Last night, I made my all time favourite "Roasted Fennel and Baby Carrots." I cannot tell you how many times I've eaten this in the past 3 weeks! See recipe index side dishes for recipe!

Tonight, I made "Leb kusa" (zucchini and onion) salad substituting vegetable stock for the olive oil to sweat the onion--I used red--and tons of fresh basil for the mint. (Mint gives me heartburn!) Atomic Rose contributed the recipe which is in the exchange index. This is so easy going and tummy friendly--great with a side of spinach/herb puree and fresh yellow cherry tomatoes. It tastes like something I'd have at one of my favourite Egyptian restuaurants. It reminded me of how much I miss Middle Eastern food--I used to live on either that or Thai in University. Now that I think of it, a beet salad would be divine in accompaniment. I might have some more later!

I'll definitely make this one again. Thanks Casey! You're a great collector of kitchen witchery.

Kate.

results.... new
      #207961 - 08/23/05 07:37 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

those brownies were yummy! and tasted so nice hot out of the oven... unfortunately i've already ate a ton of them!

(I also omitted the chocolate chips)

--------------------

#208167 - 08/24/05 12:30 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

This week I'm going to make Oprah's Unfried Chicken. It's finally cool enough to cook again - and those KFC ads have been looking a little too appetizing lately.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#208172 - 08/24/05 12:43 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

This week I'm going to make Oprah's Unfried Chicken. It's finally cool enough to cook again - and those KFC ads have been looking a little too appetizing lately.

cool... I can't wait to see what you think of it!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

My results new
      #209725 - 08/30/05 08:16 AM
Sand

I made Oprah's Unfried Chicken and it was good. I lost about half the crust, though, turning it, so I need to work on that - "grease" my cooking surface better, I think.

I can't find bread crumbs without either MSG or dairy except for the Panko Japanese ones, so I used the Panko and added Italian Seasoning (1 tsp per cup). For the Creole seasoning, I used the Cajun Seasoning I made for Heather's Cornmeal-Crusted Cajun Catfish. The only change I'd make the next time is to add some salt to the coating - I love salt.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Sand new
      #209812 - 08/30/05 01:43 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Sand, I would recommend Matzo Meal in place of Panko. Panko is a lot higher in fat. You can find the Matzo Meal in with the kosher foods. I always use that, because I haven't been able to find any normal breadcrumbs without dairy either.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

why don't you guys make your own bread crumbs? -nt- new
      #209850 - 08/30/05 04:11 PM
jen1013

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Do you have a breadmaker???? A SUPER investment.... new
      #209860 - 08/30/05 04:56 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I make all my own bread and breadcrumbs. And the taste is second to none. I have posted my simple white bread recipe - once you swallow the price of the breadmaker itself (it's come down a lot these days), the price of making the bread really isn't so bad. Besides, it's so delicious. I would seriously consider buying your own breadmaker. I have the kind that makes the regular sort - the breadpan is longer than it is taller so you get a regular loaf out of it. It'll cost you about $100 -150 or so. Watch for sales.

FURTHERMORE: I mix and measure all the DRY ingredients into a MEDIUM sized ziploc bag. I measure several at a time. Then when it's time to make bread, I measure the water, yeast and margarine, dump in the contents of the ziploc and I'm ready to go!!!!! EASY AS PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Sand new
      #209862 - 08/30/05 04:58 PM
Sand

My Panko breadcrumbs, made by Wel-Pac, have 110 calories per 1/2 cup serving, 10 from fat. Since that's less than 10% of calories from fat, I don't see how Matzo Meal can be much lower. I guess Panko bread crumbs are different way up there in the northland.

I am going to try Matzo Meal eventually, though. You also recommended them for your Peking Burgers, so they're on my list - I just have to work my way through the Panko I already have. Thanks, Kree.

--------------------

Re: why don't you guys make your own bread crumbs? new
      #209866 - 08/30/05 05:01 PM
Sand

I was going to - even printed out recipes. (Don't laugh - I can't cook anything without a recipe. It's a miracle I manage to make tea in the morning with reading the instructions on the box.) I just ran out of time, energy, and interest. Making two new recipes in one day - Oprah's Chicken and AtomicRose's Potato Salad - is way past my cooking limit. Maybe next time. It's not like I don't end up with lots of little scraps of leftover baguette, white bread, etc., so I could certainly put them to use.

--------------------

I have a breadmaker ... new
      #209867 - 08/30/05 05:01 PM
jen1013

We got it as a wedding gift. And I even registered for the darn thing. I hate it. I make homemade bread the old-fashioned way and I can't convert myself over.

--------------------
jen

#209869 - 08/30/05 05:05 PM
Sand

Sigh. You may be talking me into one. Joe and I have been kicking this around for a couple of years. I'm just afraid we'll end up like some of the other people we know who bought bread machines: they inundated all their friends and relatives with bread for a few months, then put the thing on a shelf and forgot about it. Hmmm. Maybe I'll see if I can talk my cousin into loaning me his - it'll just need a good dusting.

I do love your idea of measuring out your dry ingredients for multiple loaves ahead of time. That's the kind of cooking tip I love - doing most of the work ahead of time makes it easier for me to talk myself into finishing it up later. (And why do people say "easy as pie"? Unless it's Mrs. Smith's frozen, I've never found pie the slightest bit easy to make. )

--------------------

#209875 - 08/30/05 05:25 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Sorry for the pun. I find pie cumbersome as well. My husband once said "if it isn't a pie that's runny, it isn't made by my hunny" Seriously, it's easier than that, I SWEAR. You measure, dump, turn it on and PRESTO. Instant, yummy bread. Borrow the breadmaker. You WON'T regret it. Hugs, Alicia. 8 years and STILL BREADMAKING. Not Regretting A SINGLE SECOND.....

--------------------

Re: I have a breadmaker ... new
      #209876 - 08/30/05 05:26 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

DO IT GIRL!!!!!! It's only one step away. Take your wholesome ingredients and leave it to the breadmaker. If you're skeptical, put it on the knead/short cycle and put it in your own pan and bake it yourself. It's worth it.

--------------------

Re: I have a breadmaker ... new
      #209919 - 08/30/05 06:51 PM
jen1013

I've made bread in it a handful of times, and it was OK. (Well, except for the one that turned out sort of like an oversized paving brick.) But just OK. And I love the act of making bread -- I love punching down the dough, I love the silky feeling of flour slipping through my fingers, I love kneading until a gluey mess becomes smooth and elastic. You just can't get that with a breadmaker.

I will have to go look for your bread recipe. Won't hurt me to try it! Maybe I'll just save the oldfashioned bread for when I need a psychological comforting moment.

--------------------
jen

Re: Sand new
      #210021 - 08/31/05 06:55 AM
Kree

Quote:

My Panko breadcrumbs, made by Wel-Pac, have 110 calories per 1/2 cup serving, 10 from fat. Since that's less than 10% of calories from fat, I don't see how Matzo Meal can be much lower. I guess Panko bread crumbs are different way up there in the northland.

I am going to try Matzo Meal eventually, though. You also recommended them for your Peking Burgers, so they're on my list - I just have to work my way through the Panko I already have. Thanks, Kree.

Oh... well never mind, then! Lol. I could have sworn I looked and they were high in fat. I guess not.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#210022 - 08/31/05 06:56 AM
Kree

I have a breadmaker and I adore it! I've just had bad luck trying to make my own dried breadcrumbs.

--------------------

LOL (m) new
      #210057 - 08/31/05 08:51 AM
Sand

What a great slogan - your husband sounds like a card. Thanks for the encouragement, Alicia - you're very sweet. And hugs to you, too.

--------------------

Re: Jen - another option.... new
      #210380 - 09/01/05 08:53 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Jen - dump all the ingredients and put it in on the "dough" cycle. It will mix it all together and go through the first rise. Then you can take it out, punch it, knead it, and form it into a loaf and throw it into a pan for the second rise. Then bake in the oven as you usually do. Presto - the best of both worlds!!!!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10311

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review