All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Craving Thai!
      #207879 - 08/23/05 02:31 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'm craving Thai flavours/aromas, these days! Does anyone have any safe recipes or a reference that might help me out?

Thanks.
Kate.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Craving Thai! new
      #208214 - 08/24/05 02:54 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Here ya go: web page

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#208239 - 08/24/05 04:26 PM
Wind

Thanks, Alicia. I regret, though, I have a nut allergy. However, I think I'll try substituting some Thai curry paste for the peanutbutter. I'm inexperienced using the stuff.

Kate.

#208252 - 08/24/05 05:12 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I cook a lot of Thai, but I am not sure what you can eat. Tonight I made my spicy spinach, but perhaps spicy is not what you want. Although Thai is always spicy.
My suggestion is: cook something (like a veg) in lite coconut milk, hot pepper and Thai fish sauce. Have it over rice.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Little Minnie/Thai ideas new
      #208269 - 08/24/05 06:38 PM
Wind

That spicy spinach sounds really good! I don't find Thai excessively "spicy," rather more "warming." It's a nice blend of all the tastes/flavours.

So the basics of a Thai veg. curry are basically lite coconut milk, fish sauce, and hot pepper sauce? I've been playing with some curry pastes--I have roasted red chili, green and yellow. I tend to stir them into some stock and then add fish sauce/rice vinegar or lime juice, etc. to taste. I've done it with carrots/cauliflower and an illegal quantity of mushrooms, as well as zucchini. I'm at the goofing around stage. I guess I just need some assorted condiments/seasonings/herbs and spices to play with.

Kate.

Re: Little Minnie/spicy spinach new
      #208481 - 08/25/05 10:59 AM
Wind

I eat tons of spinach and your mention of 'spicy spinach' peaked my curiousity. What's the recipe, culinary genius?

Kate.

#208504 - 08/25/05 11:53 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I make soemthing that's yummy but not sure if it will be ok for you ibs-wise.

I fry up some tofu cubes (half a package) until they're crispy. Cook up either some rice,or rice noodles. Pile the tofu, frsh coriander, diced tomatoes and crushed peanuts on top and enjoy. I's soooo yummy!

Re: Little Minnie/Thai ideas new
      #208569 - 08/25/05 03:09 PM
Little Minnie

These are the basics of Thai cooking: curry sauce and/or chilis or something spicy, coconut milk (lite is actually low in fat 3-4g per serving), peanuts/peanut sauce (a disappointment for you! ), fish sauce, basil/mint/cilantro. Also things like galangal that I can't find, lemon grass, tropical fruits, honey or sugar.

You can buy Thai red curry paste and add it to the coconut milk or to stock etc. It is very very spicy! I make my own generally because the store bought is hot but has no flavor (just heat). I use a Thai chili (grow huge quantities and freeze them), curry powder, and turmeric, cumin etc is ok. Fish sauce adds the salt and honey adds some sweet.
Spicy spinach: (I am sending this to Cooking Light soon)
1 and 1/2 bags baby spinach coarsely chopped
1/2-1 thai chili or 2 serrano
garlic
ginger if desired
1/2t salt
cooking spray
Thai basil or mint
in a pasta pot with spray add garlic and pepper. cook 2-4 minutes. Put in spinach and salt, cover and stir occasionally for 2-4 minutes or until wilted -only until wilted. Add the herb and eat. Serve with slotted spoon to avoid the juice, but if you only wilt it not much juice will come out.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Wicked, Little Minnie. new
      #208604 - 08/25/05 05:24 PM
Wind

Muchas Gracias, Little Minnie. You are a HUGE help!

Shhh...I can (and probably will) eat THE WHOLE RECIPE, glutton that I am!!!

It's a winner, but I shall validate. I have all the ingredients in the fridge! (I picked up some roasted red chili Thai Curry paste a few days ago. I have green and yellow, too! That stuff is really potent, I found out. A little really goes a long way!)

I think, though, I'll use my spinach puree so nothing gets stuck inside of me. (I like smooth, easy going poos.)

It would be divine with some kimchi.

I think you made my "lunch!" Nevertheless, my sinuses are cleared, my eyes are popping, and my ears are very very pink.

Kate, IBS-D--nearly A.

Edited by Wind (08/25/05 05:27 PM)

#208610 - 08/25/05 06:11 PM
Little Minnie

I hope you like it. If you can get Thai basil it is totally worth it. Something happens and it sort of explodes in your mouth in this recipe. DH loves this. I make it all the time. I must say I don't eat it that much anymore as he can eat the whole pot (1 bag spinach) and I make carrots for me. But mint could substitute for Thai basil.

--------------------

#208627 - 08/25/05 07:41 PM
Wind

LOL. I know exactly where to get the Thai Basil. You're right; it does 'explode' in your mouth! I've been known to polish of HUGE Cost Co. bag of spinach in one sitting --and those are 1 kilo bags. (Spinach is my favourite food) It sounds like a lot in raw terms, but cooked, it's truly not all that much! This recipe would be really good with Swiss Chard, too, obviously.

I'm looking forward to lunch, tomorrow. I need some new flavours. Thanks again.

The only Indian curry that sits well with me is curried spinach--I think it's called 'saag aloo' but I'm not sure.

Kate.

Wind new
      #208762 - 08/26/05 09:25 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

Thanks, Alicia. I regret, though, I have a nut allergy. However, I think I'll try substituting some Thai curry paste for the peanutbutter. I'm inexperienced using the stuff.

Kate.

Kate, are you allergic to all nuts, or just peanuts? Because I can't have peanuts and I've made the recipe Alicia mentioned with soynut butter and it was great. Just a thought!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Wind new
      #208826 - 08/26/05 11:41 AM
Wind

Kree,
It's a legume allergy which includes soy as well, I regret.
Thanks for the thought, though.

Kate.

Re: Spicy Spinach review (for Little Minnie) new
      #208830 - 08/26/05 11:48 AM
Wind

"Ay Caramba!" to quote Bart Simpson. Honestly, Tamara, this is potently, narcotically, addictive. It's worth the Thai Basil! It's fast. It's simple. It is sinus clearing. It is totally tummy friendly!

I pureed the spinach, though. I thought it needed a little rice vinegar or fresh lime though.

I'll be enjoying this recipe many times a week. You're brilliant and I just thought I'd let you know it.

Thanks a million for re-inventing spinach for me!
Kate.

#208898 - 08/26/05 02:31 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

Kree,
It's a legume allergy which includes soy as well, I regret.
Thanks for the thought, though.

Kate.

Aww. That's no fun.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#208953 - 08/26/05 05:00 PM
Little Minnie

Thanks! I think you are right about a sprinkle of lime juice. hmmmmm....

--------------------

#208962 - 08/26/05 05:16 PM
Wind

Well, if it's any compliments to the recipe creator, I ate a Cost Co. bag of 'spicy baby spinach.' (Prior to cooking, those weigh 2.2 lbs. or 1 kg) Yes, sounds like a lot, but it's really not! Definitely add the fresh lime juice to a revised version of the recipe. You made not only my lunch, but my day. Do you have any Indian curried spinach ideas? Saag aloo? How about curried mushrooms of some sort of ethnicity? There's something about spinach that makes me want mushrooms for dessert. (or appetizer/second course/next meal!)

Sorry, I'll try not to pick your brain too much! You're just so re-inventive.

Kate.

#208963 - 08/26/05 05:18 PM
Wind

Actually, it's pretty scarey (understatement). I carry an epi-pen with me.

Kate.

Indian spinach new
      #208980 - 08/26/05 06:41 PM
Little Minnie

Well when we were in the UK the first time we had this awesome spinach! It was called dry spiced spinach. I tried to find a recipe but they all seem to be cooked so long. Anyway we ate some more this last time we were there and now I could tell it was full of butter. I think though the idea is the same as the Thai spinach, some garlic and spices and then wilt the spinach into it. You could make some garam masala seasoning and toast it and then put in the spinach. Pureed is fine I think. Yet chopped is pretty "loose" too if you know what I mean. I can post a garam masala recipe for you from Cooking Light if you want. I love Indian food!

--------------------

Re: Indian spinach new
      #209011 - 08/26/05 07:58 PM
Wind

Thanks, Tamara. I'm interested in the Garam Masala recipe from "Cooking Light." Most Indian food is full of ghee. It really goes through me fast and painfully--that's why i fear going for curry at a restaurant. I figure if I replace the ghee with broth then that cuts down on half the dilemma. I loved curried cauliflower (definitely with carrots!) as well. This herbivore is definitely turning into a 'spice rack girl' thanks to you.

It was really tempting not to have spicy spinach for dinner too.

Kate.

garam masala new
      #209154 - 08/27/05 05:25 PM
Little Minnie

Here are 2.

Garam Masala

This homemade spice mixture is much darker and more flavorful than commercial varieties. Toasting the spices is a crucial step that gives the masala a deep, roasted flavor. Cardamom pods are available at Middle Eastern and Indian markets.
This recipe goes with Cauliflower and Potato Sabzi with Spices, Classic Lamb Curry, Salmon Kalia in Panch Phoron Sauce

1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
2 teaspoons black peppercorns
12 cardamom pods
8 whole cloves
1 (2-inch) cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Place the first 6 ingredients in a large skillet over medium-high heat; cook until spices smoke, becoming fragrant and turning dark, shaking pan constantly (about 5 minutes). Stir in nutmeg. Remove from heat; cool completely. Place spice mixture in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground. Store in an airtight container.

Yield: 1/4 cup

CALORIES 69(46% from fat); FAT 3.5g (sat 0.5g,mono 1.6g,poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 2.5g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 149mg; SODIUM 19mg; FIBER 5.9g; IRON 6.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 11.7g
Cooking Light, NOVEMBER 2001

Garam Masala

This recipe goes with Lentils with Eggplant and Garam Masala

2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons cumin seeds
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
1 1/2 teaspoons whole cloves
3/4 teaspoon cardamom seeds
1 (1-inch) cinnamon stick

Heat a medium skillet over medium heat; add all ingredients. Cook 2 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently. Place spice mixture in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground.

Yield: about 1/3 cup

CALORIES 27(33% from fat); FAT 1g (sat 0.6g,mono 0.2g,poly 0.1g); PROTEIN 0.9g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 58mg; SODIUM 6mg; FIBER 1.7g; IRON 2.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 4.4g
Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 2002

--------------------

Re: garam masala--thanks! new
      #209173 - 08/27/05 07:57 PM
Wind

I think I'll be having a lot of fun. You're a generous genius. Thanks you.

Kate.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13541

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review