All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Craving Thai!
      #207879 - 08/23/05 02:31 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I'm craving Thai flavours/aromas, these days! Does anyone have any safe recipes or a reference that might help me out?

Thanks.
Kate.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Craving Thai! new
      #208214 - 08/24/05 02:54 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Here ya go: web page

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#208239 - 08/24/05 04:26 PM
Wind

Thanks, Alicia. I regret, though, I have a nut allergy. However, I think I'll try substituting some Thai curry paste for the peanutbutter. I'm inexperienced using the stuff.

Kate.

#208252 - 08/24/05 05:12 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I cook a lot of Thai, but I am not sure what you can eat. Tonight I made my spicy spinach, but perhaps spicy is not what you want. Although Thai is always spicy.
My suggestion is: cook something (like a veg) in lite coconut milk, hot pepper and Thai fish sauce. Have it over rice.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Little Minnie/Thai ideas new
      #208269 - 08/24/05 06:38 PM
Wind

That spicy spinach sounds really good! I don't find Thai excessively "spicy," rather more "warming." It's a nice blend of all the tastes/flavours.

So the basics of a Thai veg. curry are basically lite coconut milk, fish sauce, and hot pepper sauce? I've been playing with some curry pastes--I have roasted red chili, green and yellow. I tend to stir them into some stock and then add fish sauce/rice vinegar or lime juice, etc. to taste. I've done it with carrots/cauliflower and an illegal quantity of mushrooms, as well as zucchini. I'm at the goofing around stage. I guess I just need some assorted condiments/seasonings/herbs and spices to play with.

Kate.

Re: Little Minnie/spicy spinach new
      #208481 - 08/25/05 10:59 AM
Wind

I eat tons of spinach and your mention of 'spicy spinach' peaked my curiousity. What's the recipe, culinary genius?

Kate.

#208504 - 08/25/05 11:53 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I make soemthing that's yummy but not sure if it will be ok for you ibs-wise.

I fry up some tofu cubes (half a package) until they're crispy. Cook up either some rice,or rice noodles. Pile the tofu, frsh coriander, diced tomatoes and crushed peanuts on top and enjoy. I's soooo yummy!

Re: Little Minnie/Thai ideas new
      #208569 - 08/25/05 03:09 PM
Little Minnie

These are the basics of Thai cooking: curry sauce and/or chilis or something spicy, coconut milk (lite is actually low in fat 3-4g per serving), peanuts/peanut sauce (a disappointment for you! ), fish sauce, basil/mint/cilantro. Also things like galangal that I can't find, lemon grass, tropical fruits, honey or sugar.

You can buy Thai red curry paste and add it to the coconut milk or to stock etc. It is very very spicy! I make my own generally because the store bought is hot but has no flavor (just heat). I use a Thai chili (grow huge quantities and freeze them), curry powder, and turmeric, cumin etc is ok. Fish sauce adds the salt and honey adds some sweet.
Spicy spinach: (I am sending this to Cooking Light soon)
1 and 1/2 bags baby spinach coarsely chopped
1/2-1 thai chili or 2 serrano
garlic
ginger if desired
1/2t salt
cooking spray
Thai basil or mint
in a pasta pot with spray add garlic and pepper. cook 2-4 minutes. Put in spinach and salt, cover and stir occasionally for 2-4 minutes or until wilted -only until wilted. Add the herb and eat. Serve with slotted spoon to avoid the juice, but if you only wilt it not much juice will come out.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Wicked, Little Minnie. new
      #208604 - 08/25/05 05:24 PM
Wind

Muchas Gracias, Little Minnie. You are a HUGE help!

Shhh...I can (and probably will) eat THE WHOLE RECIPE, glutton that I am!!!

It's a winner, but I shall validate. I have all the ingredients in the fridge! (I picked up some roasted red chili Thai Curry paste a few days ago. I have green and yellow, too! That stuff is really potent, I found out. A little really goes a long way!)

I think, though, I'll use my spinach puree so nothing gets stuck inside of me. (I like smooth, easy going poos.)

It would be divine with some kimchi.

I think you made my "lunch!" Nevertheless, my sinuses are cleared, my eyes are popping, and my ears are very very pink.

Kate, IBS-D--nearly A.

Edited by Wind (08/25/05 05:27 PM)

Re: Wicked, Little Minnie. new
      #208610 - 08/25/05 06:11 PM
Little Minnie

I hope you like it. If you can get Thai basil it is totally worth it. Something happens and it sort of explodes in your mouth in this recipe. DH loves this. I make it all the time. I must say I don't eat it that much anymore as he can eat the whole pot (1 bag spinach) and I make carrots for me. But mint could substitute for Thai basil.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 319 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13541

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review