All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
any wine experts?
      #207041 - 08/20/05 04:23 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I am making up a recipe for a recipe contest that is sponsored by Sutton Wine. The recipe is not quite IBS safe, but I need to know what kind of wine works best with it.
Salmon and zucchini skewers; and baguette and cherry tomato skewers; both with rosemary, garlic and olive oil
with a sauce of shallot, anchovy, garlic, a little butter and wine
but what kind?
Sauvignon blanc is my choice and DH says white merlot but neither one of us knows anything about it!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: any wine experts? new
      #207043 - 08/20/05 04:25 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

hey.. I was just watching everyday italian today on the food network and this question came up.

She said that whenever anything calls for white wine the safest bet is to use chardonnay or sauvignon blanc everytime.

--------------------

oh wait new
      #207058 - 08/20/05 05:13 PM
Little Minnie

The skewer contest is not Sutter Home- that is the burger contest. The skewer contest is Mondavi Vineyards and the prize is a week in the Mediterranean!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

more new
      #207060 - 08/20/05 05:21 PM
Little Minnie

I actually have to pair it with one of these wines web page . I don't know how this will work. I mean it is not like I am going to buy all the wines, make the meal again and taste test every one! But I want to come off a little educated.

--------------------

Re: any wine experts? new
      #207193 - 08/21/05 11:58 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I had white merlot for the first time this summer and it was actually very sweet. Sweeter than a white zinfandel!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: more new
      #207232 - 08/21/05 03:20 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Are you looking for which wine to use in the sauce or which wine to drink with it or both?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

both new
      #207248 - 08/21/05 05:15 PM
Little Minnie

A wine has to be suggested off their list to go with the meal, but I also need to put 1 cup of wine in the sauce.

--------------------

Re: both new
      #207406 - 08/22/05 08:59 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

If I were doing this, I'd find a really good wine store, explain the problem, and ask for advice. Around here we have Total Wine stores - they have wine experts who wander the aisles and know everything about wine. One of the guys is a retired newspaper food critic who's working there to keep himself busy. If you have anything like that where you are, they should be able to help.

Failing that, I checked out my Total Wine catalog and here's what they say about food and wine pairings for the ingredients you've listed. (This is for wines to drink with food. They don't have anything to say about cooking with wine.):

Salmon: Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Syrah
Rosemary: Syrah, Zinfandel
Garlic: Sauvignon Blanc
Sauces with Basil, Parmesan, Oil, Garlic, Mustard, Lemon: Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonny, Riesling
Sauces with Tomato, Oil, Red Peppers, Onions, Garlic: Pinot Noir, Syrah, Zinfandel
They don't say anything about a wine pairing for anchovy.

(Incidentally, according to them, Fume Blanc is just Sauvignon Blanc that's been aged in oak to create "a creamier style of white wine with hints of smoke and vanilla".)

I wonder how it would work to make the sauce with one color wine (e.g., Sauvignon Blanc) and drink the other (e.g., Syrah - I do love Syrah) with the meal? Also, I don't know how much time and energy you want to spend on this, but maybe you could make half the sauce with a white wine and half with a red and see which you (or your DH if you need a taster) prefers. You could also try tasting with a variety of wines as drinks - maybe 2 white and 2 red. Hmm. This is starting to sound like a party.

I hope this helps somewhat. With any luck, a real wine expert will wander by now that's it's the workweek again. Please do post how this comes out - I'm really curious.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Yeah! What Sand said!!!! new
      #207409 - 08/22/05 09:06 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Why not try it with two different types of white wine? Since the bottles are open anyway, serve both at the dinner to drink. Nothing wrong with a bit of variety. Then you can get feedback!!!!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 466 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3302

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review