All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
The nastiest soy cheese I've ever tasted!
      #203190 - 08/06/05 03:28 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Since the Galaxy swiss veggie slices were so good, I thought I'd try the block of orange Vegan Gourmet cheddar "cheese alternative." Oh my goodness, blech, blech, blech, nastiest thing I've ever tasted. Put a piece in my mouth and spit it out instantly. Stay away. Far, far away.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The nastiest soy cheese I've ever tasted! new
      #203199 - 08/06/05 04:15 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Darn. I have a block of that in my fridge right now. I will probably still test it for myself, but thanks for the warning.

What are some GOOD brands of fake cheese? About the only other brand I've seen around here is Smart Balance. Haven't tried it yet, though.

everything I've tried has been nasty new
      #203203 - 08/06/05 04:40 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I've tried most of the soy/rice cheeses that I can get here and they are all pretty gross. They are expensive and high in fat anyway, so when a recipe calls for cheese I just skip it. I did find American cheese slices at Wal-Mart that were fat-free and dairy-free. It was like eating plastic. Not that I've ever eaten plastic. Really.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: everything I've tried has been nasty new
      #203225 - 08/06/05 06:36 PM
Passanie

This has come up on the boards before. A search might yield some good ones. I think someone was talking about something called Veggieshreds. Never tried it though. I buy the galaxy veggie swiss slices and they're actually pretty good. Nothing will compare to real cheese, of course. I like to put them between tortillas to make a quesadilla and dip it in salsa. It's good that way (I'm not sure any of them would taste good straight).

Also bought tofutti cream cheese the other day. It is REALLY good. High in fat though, so be careful.

Yeah, I hear ya there new
      #203233 - 08/06/05 06:53 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

All I can get here are the Veggie Slices and Veggie Shreds - I guess those are made by Galaxy? - and they are HORRIBLE. I tried the mozzarella shreds, and when those were nasty, I gave the American slices a try. Blech.

I do what you do - I skip cheese when a recipe calls for it. The only soy cheese I DO like is the soy parmesan. It tastes reasonably like the real thing, even if it's a little gritty.

Re: Yeah, I hear ya there new
      #203238 - 08/06/05 07:07 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I don't mind the Galaxy Swiss or Moz slices. They are fine on a sandwich. The cheddar stuff is just truly nasty. It's got that fake cheese taste and it's also salty in a bad way. I tried a little bit of the block in my fridge a couple hours ago and it was just as nasty as the cheddar slices. I guess I will just have to learn to live without mac & cheese. I'll manage...somehow.

Re: Yeah, I hear ya there new
      #203241 - 08/06/05 07:17 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I do use Smart Balance Light but it does contain cultured part-skim milk in it. It says it contains trivial amounts of lactose. I use it for recipes that call for cheese. It doesn't seem to bother me. Also if you are missing Mac-n-cheese Amy's makes an awesome frozen dinner one. It does contain some milk products in it so again if you are highly senstivie to it stay away. It doesn't bother me and it is sooo yummy!

Ha! new
      #203243 - 08/06/05 07:21 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

All I can get here are the Veggie Slices and Veggie Shreds - I guess those are made by Galaxy? - and they are HORRIBLE. I tried the mozzarella shreds, and when those were nasty, I gave the American slices a try. Blech.

How funny! I love Veggie Shreds. I think they taste pretty darn close to real cheese. As a matter of fact, they're the ones I use in my baked mac n' cheese all the time. To each her own! I agree about the slices, though... they just don't cut it. I've yet to find any sliced soy cheeses I really like.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

soy parmesan new
      #203252 - 08/06/05 07:58 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I have never even tried this -- because it's like EIGHT FREAKING DOLLARS for the can. Plus, real parmesan cheese always tasted kinda like dirty socks to me. DH likes the parmesan/romano blends, and that stuff reeks.

Haha, I just remembered something. We were at dinner with some friends and my husband was grating romano cheese on his salad ... at the same time I noticed this awful odor and, thinking it was the cheese, made some remark like, "Whoa! That cheese smells really bad!" Everyone else was really quiet and then someone made some other completely unrelated remark. A little later my husband managed to whisper to me that it wasn't the cheese -- someone at the table had farted and everyone ELSE was politely ignoring it. I wanted to die.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Ha! new
      #203272 - 08/06/05 11:33 PM
Passanie

What exactly are Veggie shreds? I mean, I they really shreds of fake cheese for mixing into dishes? Sold in a can/bag? Yeah snorkie, pretty nasty, huh?

Veggie Shreds new
      #203293 - 08/07/05 07:35 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Yep, they're shreds of fake cheese. They come in resealable bags just like real cheese shreds. I get them near the bagged lettuce in my grocery store. This is what they look like:

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 180 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4693

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review