Mystical Red Sauce
      #202619 - 08/04/05 07:08 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

This recipe is c/o Maria!Maria!

MYSTICAL RED SAUCE
--Polly Pitchford, "Full Spectrum Health"
www.lifesourcenaturalfoods.com

Nightshade-free and all the richness of a marinara sauce. The shade of red depends on how big a beet you add to the pot.

diet types: Macrobiotic, Vegan, Vegetarian

Ingredients:

--1 lb. carrots, peeled/cut into large chuncks
--2 small beets, peeled/chopped
--2 Spanish onions ***I might only use onion powder or a small quantity of shallot***
--2 stalks celery, chopped
--2 bay leaves
--4 c. water
--2 cloves garlic, minced ***I might use only garlic powder
--1 tsp. dried oregano ***a personal trigger, therefore I'd omit/substitute tarragon and/or parsley--fresh
--1 tsp. dried basil***I would use fresh
--2 Tbsp. arrowroot dissolved in cold water
--2 tsp. salt
--1/4 c. cold water to dissolve arrowroot

Serves: 6
Cooking time: 30-60 minutes

Instructions:

Place vegetables, bay leaves, salt and water in a large pot. Boil until very soft. Remove bay leaves. Puree vegetables, using broth as necessary. In a separate skillet, saute garlic and spices in oil (I would use Pam spray or a little broth or water) and add to sauce. Arrowroot can be added at this point for a glossy sheen and extra body. Simmer 15-30 minutes, allowing flavour to improve. Adjust seasonings to taste.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Mystical Red Sauce new
      #202846 - 08/05/05 11:23 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Thanks for posting this for me, Kate.

I tend to use broth instead of oil as well. I enjoy the taste of olive oil, but I always seem to use too much.

Also, I like your suggestion of using fresh basil instead of dried. What do you think about adding mushrooms to this sauce? Would the flavor and texture of mushrooms blend well with the beets?

Thanks again!

Re: Mystical Red Sauce new
      #202985 - 08/05/05 06:09 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Mushrooms would give it "chunkiness." Mushrooms would add a certain "meatiness" without adding meat. Mushrooms have a beautiful reserve liquid that would definitely add a different dimension to the stock. Personally, I think that the sauce would taste better "over" mushrooms. It would be neat as vegan ratatouille sauce for people with tomatoe issues.

Maybe just a few dried mushrooms, i.e. porcini or even shitake. You could get away with a little portabella or cremini, too. (I just don't personally like too much "chunkiness" in my sauces.)

Kate.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 536 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2022

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review